Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I need to get some new tyres for my old bike anyway, as the rear one has a slash in the side (and they're 10 years old). I think I'll turn it into my winter bike. Just worried I'm going to be staring longingly at my Planet X until April. Think I'll keep it in the house too, the garage is too filthy and full of spiders!

Ah don't listen to them. You can get all overprotective about your fancy new bike, or get on the damn thing rain wind or snow!

bikesnow.jpg

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Thoughts are that we should be trying to encourage people out of their cars and on to their bikes. Anything that makes becoming a cyclist a pain in the arse will mean that people will not become cyclists.

That law in Jersey...14 year olds and under must wear helmets...falls into the same category in my eyes. In cycle-friendly countries like Holland, Denmark and Germany virtually no one wears a helmet. Car drivers' attitudes are way more respectful, so the helmets, generally, become unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong - I always wear a helmet, and I would recommend that all cyclists who do it as a sport do too. I wouldn't force the issue though. Those who do, in my mind, are focussing their safety fears in the wrong direction. It's all about the drivers!

This.

Have to agree more cyclist and less cars = safer roads.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Seeing BS's snow pic has reminded me to ask:

What do you fellas do to protect your hammerhead on the really cold rides?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Is that a euphemism!

Noticed Andy schleck is calling it quits after somehow not reaching the same heights he used to! This top 10 from the giro in 2007,when he was 21 might explain a few things. Note the company!

82ec5c7f315e3a352664720a55822d4d.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I call 'House' on cycle cliche bingo on the Bike Number Plates thread.

Only Bold has bitten so far. :jester::smile:

Edit: and Pantani.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is that a euphemism!

Noticed Andy schleck is calling it quits after somehow not reaching the same heights he used to! This top 10 from the giro in 2007,when he was 21 might explain a few things. Note the company!

Shame for all those guys - they entered a culture that was nigh on impossible to avoid. If they had been from another time things would have been different, and their names would not be forever tarnished.

Maybe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I call 'House' on cycle cliche bingo on the Bike Number Plates thread.

Only Bold has bitten so far. :jester::smile:

Edit: and Pantani.
It's to early for me to have the sense to but out. :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that a euphemism!

Hmmm a top 10 featuring 7 Italians, a Spaniard, a Russian and a Luxemburger crooked you say.
That can't be so, esp as there's no American.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If you just constantly let out a little stream of wee-wee your tinkle will be toastie warm all ride. :jester: (just in case)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was up about 5ish, so hit a cheeky 30.7miler. Brighton - Henfield - Shoreham - Brighton. 2:29:00, very few breaks. Just powered round as much as I could and hit a top speed of 45.3mph. Breaks me into the day gently!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Put on some tyres suitable for winter: grippy in the wet, puncture protection (you're more likely to get a puncture in the winter as more things get washed onto the roads/paths and will have fallen from the trees/bushes over autumn), and possibly wider. I won't start the debate as to which ones to go for, it could double the size of the thread! :)
That is interesting, I was considering winter tyres - possibly moving up to 25mm, but someone on a cycling forum I tend to look at was saying that winter tyres are pointless. Basically his argument was 'tread' makes no difference and the contact area is pretty much the same too. Now I'm not sure what to do... I was considering staying with my cheap Michelins (Dynamic sport) tyres, before upgrading to the Pro 4 Service Course tyres in spring (blue trim to match the bike, naturally).

Otherwise, I had considered Gatorskins or Vittoria Rubino pros. Mostly for their anti-p******* qualities.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
The missus (cycling novice) took part in a 100K women's event the other day. The organisers were Breeze cycling- their remit is to get more women into cycling. Have to say it was a fantastically well organised event and would definitely recommend it to any ladies looking to start cycling. There was a great range of complete amateurs, cycling clubs, young and old riders.

She hired a bike for £20 and got to ride a lovely brand new Raleigh carbon road bike. She may now be hooked.....

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
That is interesting, I was considering winter tyres - possibly moving up to 25mm, but someone on a cycling forum I tend to look at was saying that winter tyres are pointless. Basically his argument was 'tread' makes no difference and the contact area is pretty much the same too. Now I'm not sure what to do... I was considering staying with my cheap Michelins (Dynamic sport) tyres, before upgrading to the Pro 4 Service Course tyres in spring (blue trim to match the bike, naturally).

Otherwise, I had considered Gatorskins or Vittoria Rubino pros. Mostly for their anti-p******* qualities.

I was referring more to the width (and puncture resistance) rather than tred, a wider tire can be run at a lower pressure, lower pressures give more grip (but can give more rolling resistance). I think I've also read that having a lower pressure means there's more chance of the tyre rolling over an object that could puncture it at a higher pressure.

So by all means get a Gatorskin, but try at 25mm or 28mm version run at a lower pressure than a 23mm tire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here