Haywards Heath
Let's start a campaign to support Chris Froome

image.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Let's start a campaign to support Chris Froome

View attachment 87635

I feel for Chris, I really do.

What he has achieved has been incredible, and he's clearly an all-round good bloke.

I don't think he even made the shortlist for Sports Personality last year.

He suffers from not being Wiggo, Cav or G. He's like the nice guy who never gets the girls because he has no edge.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
I feel for Chris, I really do.

What he has achieved has been incredible, and he's clearly an all-round good bloke.

I don't think he even made the shortlist for Sports Personality last year.

He suffers from not being Wiggo, Cav or G. He's like the nice guy who never gets the girls because he has no edge.

Think it's got more to do with his 'dubious' improvements during the last year of his Sky contract and surprise podium finish in he Vuelta that year. And then his insistence that it was down to his wife's cooking and diagnosing his Bilharzia despite it being 'impossible' (according to many scientists) to have this whilst suffering from asthma.

I don't dislike the bloke, but there are plenty of questions that need answering especially given that this tour had the second ever highest average speed. Including those where the majority of riders were let up with EPO/Blood transfusions.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I fail to see what Bilharzia has to do with asthma? Isnt it caused by a snail parasite? Why would asthma make you unable to get a snail parasite?
Also, you should probably take into account the terrain when comparing average speeds. Different tours will have different terrain, so you would need to account for that for a true comparison.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
Indeed, of course you can have asthma and bilharzia. Aside from some overlap in the type of immune reaction (immunoglobulin E) there's little to link them. However the are 2 bigger questions. Firstly, does he really have asthma? Exercise-induced bronchospasm is a controversial area and although salbutamol inhalers have little performance enhancing effect, acute episodes are treated with oral steroids and open up the possibility of TUEs. Secondly, could bilharzia really go undetected that long and would it account for such a dramatic turnaround?

The average speed means nothing - analysis showed that this year had an unusual combination of good weather, favourable wind, lots of flat stages and short mountain stages.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Don't forget San Sebastian today folks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bloody Team Sky ruining it for everybody else with a professional, perfectly executed, team victory .:wrong:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bloody Team Sky ruining it for everybody else with a professional, perfectly executed, team victory .:wrong:

You know full well I'm as happy with that Kwiat win as you are. Classics are a whole different ball game and well you know it.

Just for that I think them there wheels might just be a taking a little longer to get on and test ride than originally planned :D

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Right then SB, just so you don't have your weekend completely ruined...

Spent nearly all day cleaning the old Battaglin down, cleaning up the rear cassette and of course fitting the you know whats. New brake blocks on the front too as they were due and just waiting for the wheel change. I noticed I had to let the brakes out a touch compared to the old Sciroccos. There was some interesting popping noises too as I inflated the tyres and the clinch took hold.

Just had a quick test run around the block taking in a gale, very bumpy tarmac, short descent and short steep climb.

Bearing in mind the Battaglin is an old aluminium of at least 10 years vintage.

So, very quick immediate thoughts on the Hunts?... Two words cover it so far - STIFF & LIGHT :)

They perhaps feel a bit harsh even on this frame and 23mm tyres with about 110psi. I can see 25mm and lower pressure might be the way to go for comfort, but I'm not sure I'm going to get 25mm to fit and be able to keep the mudguards. A ti frame with these wheels, 25mm tyres and mudguards might be my Winter match made in heaven :drool:
The search continues on that front.

P.S The old Campag Sciroccos these Hunts replace did me proud right to the very end. They were so faithful that I got my first ever spoke break on them literally 200 yards from home on their last ever commute. That rear wheel really had had it it seems and a gentle ping on the last roll home was timing to perfection!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Btw, just leant the bike back and spun the front wheel. You're right, I got bored waiting for it to stop! :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right then SB, just so you don't have your weekend completely ruined...

Spent nearly all day cleaning the old Battaglin down, cleaning up the rear cassette and of course fitting the you know whats. New brake blocks on the front too as they were due and just waiting for the wheel change. I noticed I had to let the brakes out a touch compared to the old Sciroccos. There was some interesting popping noises too as I inflated the tyres and the clinch took hold.

Just had a quick test run around the block taking in a gale, very bumpy tarmac, short descent and short steep climb.

Bearing in mind the Battaglin is an old aluminium of at least 10 years vintage.

So, very quick immediate thoughts on the Hunts?... Two words cover it so far - STIFF & LIGHT :)

They perhaps feel a bit harsh even on this frame and 23mm tyres with about 110psi. I can see 25mm and lower pressure might be the way to go for comfort, but I'm not sure I'm going to get 25mm to fit and be able to keep the mudguards. A ti frame with these wheels, 25mm tyres and mudguards might be my Winter match made in heaven :drool:
The search continues on that front.

P.S The old Campag Sciroccos these Hunts replace did me proud right to the very end. They were so faithful that I got my first ever spoke break on them literally 200 yards from home on their last ever commute. That rear wheel really had had it it seems and a gentle ping on the last roll home was timing to perfection!

They'd seen the box, bless them.

As you know I ride 25mm, and having just checked my gauge I ride a touch over 100psi, prob about 103 :lol:
I'm surprised your 23's are that tight on your 'guards, but hey-ho.

Thanks for the update.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
At the last minute got out. Failing that it would have been two July weekends on the bounce without a ride and that just ain't cricket.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Evening Geeks!

I thought I'd take a look at the club page on Strava to see how my 200 miles this week would place me. 5th! Crazy numbers being posted at the top of the tree, and remarkable pace too. To AVERAGE 18.3mph having cycled over 300 miles is sensational. Some serious cyclists inhabit the board.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here