Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Top tip.

Resist the temptation to look at a helicopter flying low overhead.

On the plus side, I'm in the market for new shorts and sunday best T and I might be easy to spot if in shorts and T and the game today. On the FFS side, landing on the side not fully fit ain't great and neither is the sound of helmet on bank so I'm expecting a stiff neck tomorrow morning. Nettles and thorns. Standard.
Have you thought about trying a different sport, something safer like...

...boxing?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Top tip.

Resist the temptation to look at a helicopter flying low overhead.

On the plus side, I'm in the market for new shorts and sunday best T and I might be easy to spot if in shorts and T and the game today. On the FFS side, landing on the side not fully fit ain't great and neither is the sound of helmet on bank so I'm expecting a stiff neck tomorrow morning. Nettles and thorns. Standard.

Ever ridden in a group Moto? I'm curious as to how group rides have panned out if you have. Sounds like they could be... fun :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ever ridden in a group Moto? I'm curious as to how group rides have panned out if you have. Sounds like they could be... fun :lol:

Odd use of the word fun:-

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

You don't need to be Nostradamus to predict my nickname would be The Bowling Ball.

Anyway back to this morning, you know when a car leaves the road and a load of mud and debris ends up in the road? That's me that is. Down the road I got caught at a level crossing and had a chat with the railway fella. He couldn't see my left hand side all scratched and dirty so the 'lovely day for it' chat was a bit weird.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
This may open a can of worms, but is it time to pave a separate path up the side of Ditchling Beacon for cyclists to use?

I know the Beacon is right up there with Box Hill as a cycling mecca for some people, but driving up there Saturday afternoon got me and the missus chatting. She doesn't like bikes, never has done, and was quite vocal in her disdain for the riders trying to go up said hill (a lot were obviously not regular / club cyclists btw) Me, I've always been OK with riders using the Beacon as a challenge tbh, and I always sit patiently until I can pass safely - but even I had to admit that it was pretty stupid up there at the weekend with the sheer numbers of bikes....

Which got me thinking - just a bit lower down from the road it looks like there is already an off-road trail leading from Underhill Lane to the top of the Beacon - so could that not be tarmacked / surfaced to accommodate all sorts of bikes going up the hill? (Those going down could still use the main road as most go at a similar speed to the cars anyway)

I would feel happier cycling up there on a dedicated lane, rather than having a huge queue of cars either revving up behind, or overtaking way too closely. Make it wide enough for 2 bikes & it would clear up a lot of space on the main road, & also cut out a lot of potential aggro from the drivers....

Yes, it may not be "The Beacon" exactly - and the question of money from the council would undoubtedly come in to it -
but it would be a climb where no-one need worry about cars etc, & would be a proper cyclist route.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This may open a can of worms, but is it time to pave a separate path up the side of Ditchling Beacon for cyclists to use?

I know the Beacon is right up there with Box Hill as a cycling mecca for some people, but driving up there Saturday afternoon got me and the missus chatting. She doesn't like bikes, never has done, and was quite vocal in her disdain for the riders trying to go up said hill (a lot were obviously not regular / club cyclists btw) Me, I've always been OK with riders using the Beacon as a challenge tbh, and I always sit patiently until I can pass safely - but even I had to admit that it was pretty stupid up there at the weekend with the sheer numbers of bikes....

Which got me thinking - just a bit lower down from the road it looks like there is already an off-road trail leading from Underhill Lane to the top of the Beacon - so could that not be tarmacked / surfaced to accommodate all sorts of bikes going up the hill? (Those going down could still use the main road as most go at a similar speed to the cars anyway)

I would feel happier cycling up there on a dedicated lane, rather than having a huge queue of cars either revving up behind, or overtaking way too closely. Make it wide enough for 2 bikes & it would clear up a lot of space on the main road, & also cut out a lot of potential aggro from the drivers....

Yes, it may not be "The Beacon" exactly - and the question of money from the council would undoubtedly come in to it -
but it would be a climb where no-one need worry about cars etc, & would be a proper cyclist route.

Thoughts?

I avoid the Beacon. I hate cycling up there, due to the traffic, and the attitudes that a high percentage of UK drivers have towards cyclists.

Weekends are utterly off limits for me, the sheer volume of riders of all shapes, sizes and abilities just makes it a stressful chore.

I suspect that the path you're talking about gets horribly steep in parts - it certainly doesn't follow the road, so it's probably not a goer. Great idea, though.

It must be an 'interesting' marriage, you being a cycling geek, and her having disdain for all things cycling. :)

Mar 12, 2008

Thoughts?

I love the Beacon, but yes, it gets a bit congested over the weekend. However, I wouldn't be daft enough to drive up it on a Saturday afternoon. Surely there are better road options if you're in a hurry? Segregated cycle lanes would be great, but there is a depressing amount of money being spent on cycling infrastructure in this country.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Can I pick the cycling hive mind - does anyone have any smart ideas for bike storage at home? Four adult bikes and two kids bikes and a soon to be demolished garage to make way for an extension means I need somewhere new to store them. I'm struggling to find much online that would store the bikes efficiently without them all just being piled up on top of each other.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can I pick the cycling hive mind - does anyone have any smart ideas for bike storage at home? Four adult bikes and two kids bikes and a soon to be demolished garage to make way for an extension means I need somewhere new to store them. I'm struggling to find much online that would store the bikes efficiently without them all just being piled up on top of each other.
Whatever you do don't get one of those cream and green outdoor storage boxes, they are like a reverse TARDIS.
Which in part and thanks to my shed building skills, is why Stat Towers is littered with bikes.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Gear-Up-Le...MIutX9hLnI1QIVBLftCh3NugOdEAQYAiABEgLsrPD_BwE

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Mottez-5-B...MIlYy3ornI1QIVzb_tCh262AcXEAQYASABEgLKKvD_BwE

89753-mottez-leve-velo.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Whatever you do don't get one of those cream and green outdoor storage boxes, they are like a reverse TARDIS.
Which in part and thanks to my shed building skills, is why Stat Towers is littered with bikes.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Gear-Up-Le...MIutX9hLnI1QIVBLftCh3NugOdEAQYAiABEgLsrPD_BwE

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Mottez-5-B...MIlYy3ornI1QIVzb_tCh262AcXEAQYASABEgLKKvD_BwE

View attachment 87997

Yep, that thing there if you can, or some of these on the wall and store them upended with the front wheel hooked through it.

819748.jpg
Halfords £2.99 each :thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Geeks, I come seeking your advice about wheels.

I have a turbo - I've only used it once and it wrecked my tyre. I was told this would happen. Lesson learned. Therefore, I thought I would get a separate wheel for the turbo with a proper turbo tyre. So far so good.

I'm on a 'cheap as I can get it' budget. therefore, my question is - do I just get another stock wheel for turbo use (cheapest option). Or do I upgrade my rear wheel only? Will I look like a twazzock with non-matching wheels?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I have a turbo - I've only used it once and it wrecked my tyre. I was told this would happen. Lesson learned. Therefore, I thought I would get a separate wheel for the turbo with a proper turbo tyre. So far so good.

I'm on a 'cheap as I can get it' budget. therefore, my question is - do I just get another stock wheel for turbo use (cheapest option). Or do I upgrade my rear wheel only? Will I look like a twazzock with non-matching wheels?

5 1/2 years
19,000+ posts

and you ask if you can run non-matching wheels

giphy.gif

:lol: :kiss:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I've got an old wheel for Campag you can have if you want it. A spoke broke and the breaking surfaces are shot but it still spins nice (you could just remove the broken spoke). You could fit a turbo tyre to it and swap it in and out for your turbo sessions. Let me know if you want it before it goes to the tip.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've got an old wheel for Campag you can have if you want it. A spoke broke and the breaking surfaces are shot but it still spins nice (you could just remove the broken spoke). You could fit a turbo tyre to it and swap it in and out for your turbo sessions. Let me know if you want it before it goes to the tip.

Thank you for the kind offer, but as I'm 200 miles away, I'll politely decline. Thank you though. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here