Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Lawrence MURDERERS

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The main difference is surely that 2 members of that gang were successfully convicted for that murder, and the police did a satisfactory job of their enquiries ensuring convictions which were sound and tested at appeal.

The Stephen Lawrence's case is that those 5 gang members should have been convicted in 1993 and would most likely have been if the police had done the same professional job they did for Richard Everitt.
and the actual wielder of the knife that escaped to bangladesh ? never been seen since, i'm quite sure they could get him if they really wanted, look at all the effort that has gone into the lawrence case.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Justice in this country is rapidly regressing back to the dark ages and days of witch hunts, only now it's by using modern communication methods

You might be right, but you can't use this trial as evidence of any general trend - it's hard to imagine a more atypical trial (18 yrs after the fact, being done for a second time, massive media profile, culturally significant, influenced the way policing is carried out, etc, etc).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was about to make a similar point. From what I remember at the time and from what I've read since I'd say it's pretty likely they did it, but they had absolutely no chance of receiving a fair trial this time around. The evidence is still pretty flimsy and tainted by the OB.

I keep saying it on these type of threads, but welcome to the world of trial by media. Justice in this country is rapidly regressing back to the dark ages and days of witch hunts, only now it's by using modern communication methods

If by fair trial you mean that no one in the jury will have been exposed to the case by a third party then you are living in dream world. It's the 21st century and the outline of pretty much any case can be found with the press of a few buttons on a phone these days. Are you suggesting that anyone in the public eye or a case in the public interest will be thrown out simply because it will be in the media.

Edna posted some insighful words on here a while back, and concluded that sometimes you have to put your faith in people to be objective and deliver the correct verdict.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What do you mean " I will"? I am.

When people don't agree with you, you get bored? I can only imagine you spend a great deal of your life bored shitless

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and the actual wielder of the knife that escaped to bangladesh ? never been seen since, i'm quite sure they could get him if they really wanted, look at all the effort that has gone into the lawrence case.

come on Bushy, trying to find a paki in Bangladesh will be like trying to find a needle in a hay-stack eh?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The Lawrence case has only just convicted 2 people on the same principle as the Everitt case, only it's taken 17 years longer. The rest of the Lawrence gang didn't escape to Bangladesh, they're still going about their business in South London under the noses of the Met to this day. This example really doesn't back up what you're saying at all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
come on Bushy, trying to find a paki in Bangladesh will be like trying to find a needle in a hay-stack eh?

please note I am being ironic here, at the expense of Bushy's views.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If by fair trial you mean that no one in the jury will have been exposed to the case by a third party then you are living in dream world. It's the 21st century and the outline of pretty much any case can be found with the press of a few buttons on a phone these days. Are you suggesting that anyone in the public eye or a case in the public interest will be thrown out simply because it will be in the media.

Edna posted some insighful words on here a while back, and concluded that sometimes you have to put your faith in people to be objective and deliver the correct verdict.

To be fair, that applies to almost every case that hits a crown court these days...just look at the press coverage of the poor girl murdered by that dutch maniac in Bristol....the press decided it was the landlord and hounded him unmercifully...if the police had responded to that, there is no way on earth he would have got a free trial.

this is the down side of a so called " free press"

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The Stephen Lawrence case.

Seems to be the only story in town at the moment and has taken eighteen years to get some kind of justice (?) yet somehow for me it has become far to political as opposed to legal justice for the family. Maybe if the Met had done their job first time around we would not be here now ? Perhaps the Lawrence family can now be left in peace ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A BLISTERING attack on the Police from Doreen Lawrence. Neville Lawrence also wants all 5/6 brought to justice.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The verdict won't bring Stephen Lawrence back but maybe a feeling of justice for the family who have remained dignified throughout.

Will be interesting to hear any other criminal matters that emerge about these toe rags before sentencing and also what the Judge's closing comments say about them.

On the downside there is an uneasy feeling they might be allowed leave to appeal at a later date. Some smart barrister will be looking for an unsafe conviction here. In the meantime I hope they enjoy their porridge.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
When people don't agree with you, you get bored? I can only imagine you spend a great deal of your life bored shitless

15-15

"No, you bore me full stop, whether you agree with me or not."

30-15

Bushy moves in for the kill...like fat frank yesterday at Wolves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here