Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Engagement Rings? - very O/T!

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
Hi all... I apreciate that this probably isnt the greatest thread for a football forum but Im thinking of asking her indoors to get married.

Can anyone recomend any jewellers in the Brighton area to help me sort out an engagement ring as I know very little about them. I dont really have a budget in mind but was thinking around £500 or so.

Many thanks for any help.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hi all... I apreciate that this probably isnt the greatest thread for a football forum but Im thinking of asking her indoors to get married.

Can anyone recomend any jewellers in the Brighton area to help me sort out an engagement ring as I know very little about them. I dont really have a budget in mind but was thinking around £500 or so.

If you want something a bit different try Jason French at Baroque in the Lanes. My wife has a wonderful ruby engagement and wedding ring crafted by his fair hands. I have a black diamond wedding ring. He's good.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Avoid the High Street chains. If in Brighton, you're lucky as you have a wealth of small independents that will serve you far better.

Don't buy any of the "certificated diamond" shite either.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Bozza, what do you mean by "certificated diamond shite"? Isn't the certificate guaranteeing/confirming the clarity etc. of the diamond, hence showing it is legit?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Any of the jewellers in the lane would be a good bet for that budget. I decided against engagement rings and went for a gift of my fiancee's choosing instead (she chose a bespoke necklace from a jewellers in The Lanes, I was given a watch). We blew our budget on the wedding rings themselves at Jeremy Hoye, spent a ridiculous sum but worth every penny imo.

Oh and good luck with the engagement!

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath

Got mine from (grains of gold) in the lanes. Or at least I think that is what it was called. Not sure if that helps. Good Luck

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Got mine from Ring in the laines. Price was well over £500 but they do payment plans if you want. Have just had the wedding rings designed by them too.

Would thoroughly recommend.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I know nothing of the subject, but I was once told that you should only buy an engagement ring commensurate with the wedding ring you intend to buy. Apparently if you wear gold rings of different quality of gold, when they rub against each other, which they invariably do, one will wear down quicker than the other (presumably the one made of softer gold, i.e. higher carat).

Don't quote me on this, I cannot verify it at all.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I got my Mrs her ring in Gold Coast in the Lanes. Not sure if it's still there though, it was 18 years ago.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
£500? Shouldn't you be spending 3 months salary on an engagement ring ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No authority on engagement rings as they were a ploy in the 60s if you couldn't get yer leg over, come out of the pictures and on the walk to the bus stop dawdle past a jewellers and have a look in, quite often worked a treat.

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
Cheers for the guidance so far as its been really useful, I did think that the high street brands were best avoided... budjet wise I can probably stretch to around £1000

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
£500? Shouldn't you be spending 3 months salary on an engagement ring ?

3 months?? We spent 3 hours on the engagement ring, and about 2 hours on the pair of wedding rings. :laugh:

The rings and the relationship seem to be doing OK 24 years later.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Are you only thinking of asking, or thinking of getting married????

Either way , needs a lot of thought

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Cheers for the guidance so far as its been really useful, I did think that the high street brands were best avoided... budjet wise I can probably stretch to around £1000

Not a kill joy but isn't it the thought that counts rather than the value of the ring and wouldn't the extra cash be useful towards the wedding or in your newly wedded life.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Have you tried bluenile.co.uk? Also worth doing a google search on diamond certification so that you know what your paying for and can compare the prices on their site with what's on offer at the high street jewellers. You'll find that they are very competitive, and it's a well established and reputable company.

As for cost, I think it's supposed to be around 1 months income. I've also heard some say that the tradition is 3 months, but then I imagine that this tradition comes from the days when the bride's parents would pay for the wedding and give the groom a nice dowry as well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here