Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For me you can add Spiral, Braquo and The Bridge to that esteemed list.

Spiral is incredible. But (I think it was just us?) we got bored by the last series. Another murder of an ethnic Algerian by ethnic Algerians in a Paris sink estate. Seemed to be same old storyline. Not given up on it though, amazing cast and characters.

I also loves Wallander …. the movie and two competing TV series.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Sopranos is 10/10, what value would you give to:

Borgen
The Killing
Bosch
The Americans

Also perfection imho. I’d love to have never seen them, so starting all over again.
West Wing 1-4 is 10/10, sadly series 5-7 brings it down 0.75!

The Americans is the only series I've watched in full and that's comfortably Top 20, quite possibly Top 10, but can't hold a candle to TWW and Sopranos.

The Bear (Disney) is the only current show I've seen that comes into the conversation, but I haven't seen Succession and a couple of others who's names escape me - what with me not seeing them!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The Americans is the only series I've watched in full and that's comfortably Top 20, quite possibly Top 10, but can't hold a candle to TWW and Sopranos.

The Bear (Disney) is the only current show I've seen that comes into the conversation, but I haven't seen Succession and a couple of others who's names escape me - what with me not seeing them!

Sometimes perhaps a personal interest can also add to a love for a series? I find the Cold War and espionage interesting, making The Americans even better. They pulled it off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sometimes perhaps a personal interest can also add to a love for a series? I find the Cold War and espionage interesting, making The Americans even better. They pulled it off.
Oh yeah I very much enjoyed it, but it's still a long way from a Chase/Sorkin masterclass - I'm sure they'd be the first to agree.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I'm around half way through "The Rookie" [Not sure it counts as obscure, its on Sky box sets]. Premise is a mid 40s guy gets caught up in a bank robbery. This triggers him to move to LA and join LAPD. First couple of series are him going through probation before becoming a permeant Police Officer. I'm just into series 3 at present.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm around half way through "The Rookie" [Not sure it counts as obscure, its on Sky box sets]. Premise is a mid 40s guy gets caught up in a bank robbery. This triggers him to move to LA and join LAPD. First couple of series are him going through probation before becoming a permeant Police Officer. I'm just into series 3 at present.

I've always found Nathan Fillion, a Canadian actor, very good.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Can certainly agree loved The West Wing, and The Sopranos. The Americans also most excellent. Can't rate one above the other as totally different but equally as good.

Succession, I have no idea what the fuss is about, all I want to do is slap all the kids. In fact most of the cast/script and acting is so cringeworthy I gave up after 1 and half series and not sure why I kept going that long.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just binged S1 of "FROM", on Sky Sci-Fi.

Its about a small american town in the middle of nowhere, where people arrive and can never escape. You drive along a road, come to a downed tree blocking it, turn back to try and find another route but you're trapped in a constant "loop" whereby whatever direction you take, you ALWAYS end up back in this crappy little town - with people who have been stuck there for years. And every single night, from sundown to sunrise, everyone there has to stay indoors because there is something horrific in the woods that comes out - every night - to hunt them...

Its intriguing from the start. S1 and S2 are 10 episodes each, and quite rarely, the doris got right into it. Its by the some of the same writers who did LOST, so I guess that'll be an instant switch-off for many. But I'm quite enjoying it so far. Just started S2. Worth a go IMO.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can certainly agree loved The West Wing, and The Sopranos. The Americans also most excellent. Can't rate one above the other as totally different but equally as good.

Succession, I have no idea what the fuss is about, all I want to do is slap all the kids. In fact most of the cast/script and acting is so cringeworthy I gave up after 1 and half series and not sure why I kept going that long.

Three times we’ve given Succession a go. Partly as Radio5 and Times critics say it’d incredible, literally “the greatest TV ever”. We have wide tastes on progs and movies, I enjoy Machiavellian plotting.

But we get about 5 episodes in and give up. Every member of the family is depressing and loathsome, I realise that’s down to good acting.

Too depressing for us.

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
If you enjoyed The Sopranos, you may want to try The Wire… Crime drama set in Baltimore- each season is from a different perspective (newspaper reporting, police, teachers, etc). actors are amazing… IIRC, it ran for 5 or 6 seasons. Another American show with compelling characters is The Deuce- which is what the NYC cops called 42nd Street/Times Square back in the seedy 70s. I believe these are all HBO shows that may be on Amazon and other streamers now.

we wish there was another year or more of Broadchurch- anyone have similar British series to recommend?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you enjoyed The Sopranos, you may want to try The Wire… Crime drama set in Baltimore- each season is from a different perspective (newspaper reporting, police, teachers, etc). actors are amazing… IIRC, it ran for 5 or 6 seasons. Another American show with compelling characters is The Deuce- which is what the NYC cops called 42nd Street/Times Square back in the seedy 70s. I believe these are all HBO shows that may be on Amazon and other streamers now.

we wish there was another year or more of Broadchurch- anyone have similar British series to recommend?

The Killing (Danish), you may’ve seen it, is brilliant in that genre.

From your country :wink:, have you watched?:

Ozark
Bosch
Justified
The Shield
Goliath

All immense imho.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Apologies if any of these have been mentioned before:
Beef - Netflix
True Detective (not so much 2nd series) - Sky
Friday Night Lights - Ch4
Jerk - iplayer and whilst not strictly a US programme, the main character who also wrote it is American..dark and funny as f@ck at times.

I know it will have been said by others, but for me The Bear has been the best thing I’ve watched in an age..cracking soundtrack as well.

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
The Killing (Danish), you may’ve seen it, is brilliant in that genre.

From your country :wink:, have you watched?:

Ozark
Bosch
Justified
The Shield
Goliath

All immense imho.
I thought Ozark was the best series in years. The story, characters, casting, all amazing… I have not heard of Killing - nor the others- so thank you. I will definitely take a look.

LesCactus

Jul 31, 2023
As an American tv watcher, I’ve mainly only watched comedy and dramatic shows.

Comedy:
Psych
Franklin & Bash
Boston Legal
Everyone Loves Raymond

Drama:
Blacklist
Burn Notice
Leverage
NCIS & NCIS:LA

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Just binged S1 of "FROM", on Sky Sci-Fi.

Its about a small american town in the middle of nowhere, where people arrive and can never escape.

Sounds much like my life in Indiana. :)

FYI, "FROM" is on MGM+ & Paramount in the US.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Some of these are not very obscure kids!!

Try "Love" on Netflix. Really nuanced love story about a recovering alcoholic (her) and a "square" teacher (him). Totally engaging with some well develop support characters. LA based, so slightly up itself, but worth trying. 7/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here