Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As the thread is here I strongly recommend this to the house.

https://olympics.com/en/films/watch/rulon-five-rings-films

It's a shame nobody will watch as if I can assume 'sport' is our communal bond, this isn't too far off the ultimate sports doc.
If someone does choose to watch, don't Wiki, don't watch the trailer, just press play, you won't be disappointed.
It's a story you will be retelling.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I've mentioned these before but they really are superb. Dark, moody, beautifully shot and very 'US westerny'.

A bit like Star Wars, release dates are all over the show chronologically, so try to watch them in the correct order (below).

Magnificent TV.

01.jpg
02.jpg

03.jpg
04.jpg

05.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
^ Nah, according to your graphic the first one’s only 4 star rated by the culture bible (The Guardian). Got to be a 5 from ‘The G’ for me to bother.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Swedish channel SVT has released a trailer for Händelser vid vatten (Blackwater) and has revealed the transmission date.

The crime drama, based on Kerstin Ekman’s novel of the same name, takes us back to midsummer eve, 1973. Annie and daughter Mia find two murdered tourists at the river’s edge near the village of Svartvattnet.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I did, about a year ago. Bloody amazing, great concept, :love:Mackenzie Davis :love:

Wish I hadn’t, so your post could prompt me to see it afresh!
I went to see Phaedra at The National tonight. I spent the first half thinking of one of the cast, "I know that actress, who is she, this is driving me mad..." It was Mackenzie Davis! I haven't been star-struck for twenty years, but this woman - boy is she good. First professional theatre job too. Top drawer!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I went to see Phaedra at The National tonight. I spent the first half thinking of one of the cast, "I know that actress, who is she, this is driving me mad..." It was Mackenzie Davis! I haven't been star-struck for twenty years, but this woman - boy is she good. First professional theatre job too. Top drawer!

1678535673163.png

Mackenzie Rio Davis (born April 1, 1987) is a Canadian actress, producer, and model. She made her feature film debut in Smashed (2012). In 2013, she appeared in Breathe In and The F Word (for which she was nominated for the Canadian Screen Award for Best Supporting Actress). She also starred in The Martian (2015), Blade Runner 2049 (2017), and Happiest Season (2020).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Put off by HBO etc demanding money for 10 or 15 year old series …. hesitates ….I’ve finally got round to watching The West Wing. 24 years late to the party.

Not obscure at all, I know.

It’s fantastic, love it and the characters straight away.
Second only to The Sopranos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here