Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist started last night. The pilot episode is available on youtube at the moment. It's about a young woman who is having an MRI when an earthquake strikes resulting in her being able to hear people's thoughts, except, they are always conveyed through song and dance. Probably one for those who are open to enjoying musicals.

https://youtu.be/6IKGBlnu9YI

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Messiah on Netflix is quite good so far (up to episode 5 of 10). As the title suggests its a serious take on the Life of Brian.

I'm on 8 and after a fair start the series is indeed starting to wander off into the world of the ludicrous religious fantasy, shame really as the series started OK.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously not 'obscure' but also not really worthy of it's own thread either.

I'm quite enjoying James May's trip through Japan, on Amazon
Although that said there's a lot to look past, 'there's a lot more to Japan than you think', plus the customary 'fish out of water' jaunts.

But underneath these route 1 tropes there is a decent show especially the visits in which he's engaged and when he's allowed to be a genuine fish out of water.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Obviously not 'obscure' but also not really worthy of it's own thread either.

I'm quite enjoying James May's trip through Japan, on Amazon
Although that said there's a lot to look past, 'there's a lot more to Japan than you think', plus the customary 'fish out of water' jaunts.

But underneath these route 1 tropes there is a decent show especially the visits in which he's engaged and when he's allowed to be a genuine fish out of water.

I came across that, quality TV, such an interesting country, brilliantly presented.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Just finished Mindhunter on Netflix, about the FBI (a NSC recommendation - cheers to those who mentioned it).

Fantastic viewing, not just a crime theme eg also the human angle of the agents own lives.

Watching that series led me to do a bit of research into the various serial killers featured. I'm old enough to quite vividly remember the Son of Sam murders when they were happening and the subsequent arrest of David Berkowitz and also those famous photos of the handcuffed Berkowitz grinning like a total deranged loon, which obviously shaped the impression I"ve always had of him.

I therefore found this series of recent videos of Berkowitz talking about his life and crimes very enlightening. He comes across very self-aware of what he did and why and also the impact of his crimes on the families of his victims.

But unlike a lot of these Born Again Christian convicts where you dismiss their "conversion" as just an angle to help their parole hearing, Berkowitz conversion and self awareness seems genuine and not at all contrived. He even states that he would never apply for parole as he is fully aware of how it would affect his surviving victims and the families of his murdered victims to see him walk free.

Here's the link....

https://youtu.be/L9hh3lZgj6g

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Just finished Mindhunter on Netflix, about the FBI (a NSC recommendation - cheers to those who mentioned it).

Fantastic viewing, not just a crime theme eg also the human angle of the agents own lives.

I think you'll also find this Netflix documentary, "The Confession Killer" about the serial killer Henry Lee Lucas very interesting.

Lucas is known as one of America's most prolific serial killers having confessed to over 200 murders. This documentary sheds fascinating new light onto his "confessions" and the role played by the Texas Rangers whose only motivation for believing Lucas was to clear up as many unsolved murders as they could, regardless of the quality of evidence which cast serious doubt on the validity of the majority of those confessions.

It also shows the quite disturbing lengths the authorities were prepared to go to silence those who tried to expose the dubious nature of how Lucas's "crimes" were being "solved".

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80213588?preventIntent=true

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I came across that, quality TV, such an interesting country, brilliantly presented.
I finished it last night.

TBH despite watching this and plenty of other similar travelogues in the Far East, I've never seen the appeal.

That is until May got to the last island, there has to be another reason beyond the lure of the cities making its population all but vanish, because that island was stunning.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just finished Bosch on Amazon Prime (the series made so far). About a single minded, maverick LAPD dedective.

Loved it from start to finish, warmed to all the main characters, quality.
Annoying if you have read all of the books as they just mash them together but enjoyable nonetheless. The only downside is they have now got Titus Welliver to do the audiobooks which is a problem when he can only do one voice - his own.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
:thumbsup: 2 episodes into season/series 1 and all good. Nicely taking the edge off my withdrawal symptoms from finishing Narcos.

Good man. I thought season 3 ended up treading water and felt it might be kinder to cull it (for when you get there, and you will, so don't lose heart!), but boy oh boy, season 4 is fantastic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Annoying if you have read all of the books as they just mash them together but enjoyable nonetheless. The only downside is they have now got Titus Welliver to do the audiobooks which is a problem when he can only do one voice - his own.

Luckily I’d never heard of Bosch (other than the German appliances).

Really loved each season. I’ve realised the litmus test of whether I like TV series/boxsets is whether I warm to the central character/s, am I willing them to succeed. Bosch has this in spades for me, as did The Americans, Breaking Bad, House of Cards and to a lesser extent Person of Interest.

Titus Welliver is a great actor imho. I’d missed all his previous work.

From another NSC recommendation, I’ve just completed the first season of The Sinner, (having to buy it on Amazon Prime). I really liked it and Bill Pullman was amazing.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Good man. I thought season 3 ended up treading water and felt it might be kinder to cull it (for when you get there, and you will, so don't lose heart!), but boy oh boy, season 4 is fantastic.

Like you, I thought that season 3 lost it’s way, but season 4 was right back on form.

Excellent show!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Luckily I’d never heard of Bosch (other than the German appliances).

Really loved each season. I’ve realised the litmus test of whether I like TV series/boxsets is whether I warm to the central character/s, am I willing them to succeed. Bosch has this in spades for me, as did The Americans, Breaking Bad, House of Cards and to a lesser extent Person of Interest.

Titus Welliver is a great actor imho. I’d missed all his previous work.

From another NSC recommendation, I’ve just completed the first season of The Sinner, (having to buy it on Amazon Prime). I really liked it and Bill Pullman was amazing.

Good actor but terrible at audio books. The whole series of books are well worth a visit even if you have seen the whole TV series.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here