Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Just started on Breaking Bad on my Netflix free trial, good so far. Looking forward to Alcatraz and Touch, Alcatraz is randomly on Watch though?

Wanna find somewhere to watch the first season of Game of Thrones, any ideas? Looked on Sky Player and Netflix, no luck.

Was looking at seeing if Luck and Friday Night Lights on Sky Atlantic were any good as well.

America make too much good TV!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Not sure that I can be bothered to check through this whole thread, but if they ain't been mentioned already, then OZ (ultra violent), Soap(silly as), The Sarah Silverman Project(the most beautiful foul mouthed comic in her own sitcom) and the master of them all: Curb Your Enthusiasm (pure genius), are all worth watching.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Breaking Bad is simply the best thing I have ever watched hands down. 10/10.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I've been watching "The Walking Dead" and that's quite well made. Set in a time when the US has been over run by zombies it follow the story of an American Policeman and a bunch of other characters.

Quite good.

Also been watching American Pickers which is a couple of guys who drive around buying junk off other people and trying to turn a profit.

Lastly been watching a lot of Ghost Hunters (TAPS) for something a bit different.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
American Horror Story is also another show worth checking out.

Horror is a hard genre to make for a TV series but I think this show does a really good job of it with some nice little twists and turns along the way.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I was introduced to Portlandia whilst in the US last. Can be very amusing.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, so apologies if it has.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Dexter is amazing. The 1st 4 seasons of supernatural(currently on season 7) are the best thing I have ever watched in my life and that includes He-man as a kid, class!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The League is another show i've been watching.

It's about a group of friends who are into fantasy football(NFL) in an insane way. Comedy.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I can recommend Justified and Person of interest which is by JJ Abrams and Jonah Nolan starring Jim Catweasel and Michael Emerson, both well worth a look. Warehouse13 is not bad as well.

[yt]68xN_BNYhc4[/yt]

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
‘The River’, which has just started out here, is worth a look if and when it gets to the UK. Sort of paranormal horror with Spielberg no less as one of the producers.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Has to be breaking bad. The only series I've managed to complete (so far), and I've tried a few..

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I was introduced to Portlandia whilst in the US last. Can be very amusing.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, so apologies if it has.

Haven't heard of that, will check it out.

I can recommend Justified and Person of interest which is by JJ Abrams and Jonah Nolan starring Jim Catweasel and Michael Emerson.

I tried that, but my two episode rule holds firm and I gave up. Feel free to correct me though.

Hulu - Best in Show 2012 is a site holding its own, well, "best in show" awards: most have been suggested here but good to have an American perspective. Maybe some to look at if you're so inclined.

Oh, and Fringe seems okay if you like your sci-fi preposterous - it wants to be The XFiles but doesn't quite work for me.

omgitsjames

Nov 24, 2011
California
One of my favorite unknown shows is Kings. It is loosely based on the biblical story of King David and set in a country that is technologically and culturally similar to the modern United States but is an absolute monarchy. Look up one of the ways to get around Hulu's region block, the whole series is on there

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Some years ago I stayed with a relative in new York and got watching a comedy called free ride.
I found the two episodes I saw very funny. But I'm obviously in the minority because I found out via family guy that the programme had been cancelled by fox.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
From the US currently been watching:

Homeland ****
Good wife ****
Greys *****
Terrannova ***
Walking Dead ****
Alcatraz *****
Warehouse 13 ***

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I suppose it's not really obscure, but as people have been saying lots of popular ones, i have to give another mention to Arrested Development. Without hyperbole, the best comedy programme I have ever seen - absolutely hysterical and amazingly clever. Stick with the first few episodes and you will be hooked.
Gotta second that. Forget laugh a minute, it's laugh a second. Currently on FX late night.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
New series of Eastbound and Down started a couple of weeks ago btw, dont know what channel as i watch them all on tv-links.eu, but still very very funny

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here