Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I suppose it's not really obscure, but as people have been saying lots of popular ones, i have to give another mention to Arrested Development. Without hyperbole, the best comedy programme I have ever seen - absolutely hysterical and amazingly clever. Stick with the first few episodes and you will be hooked.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I suppose it's not really obscure, but as people have been saying lots of popular ones, i have to give another mention to Arrested Development. Without hyperbole, the best comedy programme I have ever seen - absolutely hysterical and amazingly clever. Stick with the first few episodes and you will be hooked.

+100 Brilliant best sitcom ever imho! Also currently doing the buisiness is 30 rock that show is epic - Alec Baldwin is sheer genius! check it out now!
30 rock imdb

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Obviously Entourage, one of the all time best US shows.

Agree about Entourage, really good series. HBO have a great track record – unusual for them to commission a dud.

Waiting to see “Person of Interest” which starts tomorrow on CBS. Ex CIA agent, lots of high tech gizmos, a mysterious billionaire and produced by JJ Abrams – should be good.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Loved series one of Southland, watching it on More 4. The 2nd series hasn't been on yet (to my knowledge), anyone have an idea of when / if it will be back?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Modern Family

Jerry Bruckenhimer's The chase. Friday night on Sky Living (I think) A US Marshalls meets CSI type show. The Mrs and I love it.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
One Ive found today but has been running since 2006 -

Supernatural

Seems a slow burner but well worth the effort... now going into its sixth series.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The new series of Charlie’s Angels started last night. A lot of very nice eye candy, flashy locations in Miami, not much of a plot but I’ll stick with it as it’s mindless TV at its very best.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've heard Southland, another punchy cop series, is worth a look.... Anyone seen it?

Excellent series, US TV at it's best, gritty but pretty accurate by all accounts. Any of the Law and Order series especially SVU though. Agree about Justified and Sons of Anarchy as well. Another great series was Friday Night Lights, ITV played the first series then after a while it started the second series but never completed it. There have been five series in the US so far all met with critical acclaim.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Modern Family

Jerry Bruckenhimer's The chase. Friday night on Sky Living (I think) A US Marshalls meets CSI type show. The Mrs and I love it.

Modern Family is excellent, The Chase (actually it's just 'Chase') was cancelled after the first season. There is however, 'In Plain Site' based for once, not in New York or Los Angeles but in Albuquerque in New Mexico. Justified is based in Kentucky which makes that a bit different too. There's also 'Saving Grace', based in Oklahoma. Holly Hunter stars and gets her kit off on a regular basis. It's interesting rather than dynamic.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A couple new shows coming soon to Watch (tv channel, sky 109).

Alcatraz - from the makers of lost, in 1963(?) alcatraz closed, but what was kept from the public was that it closed because the inmates disappeared. They are now reappearing and sam neill and his team have to track them down and stuff.

Grimm - I'm not overly sure, but it has something to do with fairytales being real, but most of us not being able to see them, and one man being a distant relative of the grimms, and he has an ability to see it and has a duty to fight the terrors (the big bad wolf who tries to murder red riding hood etc. Their is a similar themed show called 'Once upon a time' that may come over here, too.

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
Been watching a show on syfy called " haven" which is really good and " lost girl" on same channel, love " sons of anarchy " and " trueblood" as well

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not sure this counts as obscure, but one that I would certainly recommend is HBO's "Game Of Thrones", based on the books by George R R Martin. The first series was shown here on Sky Atlantic last year and the second series is scheduled for the same channel, starting in early April. It's fantasy themed but also perfectly watchable and enjoyable if you're not a fantasy 'nerd'. It offers everything from violence to sex (including some brother/sister incest) to humour to political intrigue to dragons to a creepy supernatural element....and yet it all works together rather well.

As you'd expect from an HBO production the writing, casting, acting and producing are all absolutely top notch, and they tend to stick fairly close to the source material in the books, which is no bad thing. The upcoming series is based around the second book in the series which is called "A Clash Of Kings" and if they do as good a job as they did with the first series it should make for great viewing.

This is the trailer for Season Two:

[yt]sBrsM_WlfV8[/yt]

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Isn't Alcatraz a JJ Abrams thing? Bound to be addictive if so.

Am downloading Luck, with Dustin Hoffman. Will report back.

Sent from my little computer/phone thing using Tapatalk

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
People need to get on 'Parks and Recreation'. The first series was a bit of a slow burner, but it just gets better and better, especially the character 'Ron Swanson'. Brilliant.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Isn't Alcatraz a JJ Abrams thing? Bound to be addictive if so.

Yes, it is.

People need to get on 'Parks and Recreation'. The first series was a bit of a slow burner, but it just gets better and better, especially the character 'Ron Swanson'. Brilliant.

What channel is it on? I keep hearing about that and want to check it out. Like Community, too (which is apparently on the music channel 'viva' but is between seasons at the moment).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here