Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Did ANYONE understand or enjoy True Detective Series 2?
Can't believe what a convoluted load of rubbish that was. The only thing about it that is clear and obvious is that Pizzolato was trying to be too clever. Thank cr*p it's all over.
If you haven't yet seen.....don't waste 8.5 hours of your life by sitting through it.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I concur Monsieur Le Plonk. First two episodes very hard to get into and doesn't get much better. Last episode was good but not sure it is worth it. Shame as series 1 was very good.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Has anyone seen Fear the Walking Dead yet ? Premiered in the states over the weekend, and I was able to watch it at 7.30 last night thanks to the "Live Media Player" app on the iPad streaming AMC from the US. Its only going to be shown on BT TV over here to start with, and then on Amazon Prime in the new year.

For what its worth, the episode set the scene and introduced the characters quite nicely, but never really reached a proper climax - everything was built up to expect a huge zombie outbreak which didn't happen. At times it seemed a little slow, and with a number of teenage characters was in danger of becoming 90210 on crack. Overall I'm still pretty confident that when the zombie hordes arrive it will be well worth watching, just hope the next episode picks up the pace a little.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Has anyone seen Fear the Walking Dead yet ? Premiered in the states over the weekend, and I was able to watch it at 7.30 last night thanks to the "Live Media Player" app on the iPad streaming AMC from the US. Its only going to be shown on BT TV over here to start with, and then on Amazon Prime in the new year.

For what its worth, the episode set the scene and introduced the characters quite nicely, but never really reached a proper climax - everything was built up to expect a huge zombie outbreak which didn't happen. At times it seemed a little slow, and with a number of teenage characters was in danger of becoming 90210 on crack. Overall I'm still pretty confident that when the zombie hordes arrive it will be well worth watching, just hope the next episode picks up the pace a little.

Yep streamed it last night. I liked the ending, but it was a bit slow to get going. Hopes have been risen by the walking dead but then that is a fair few series in and can be slow at times

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Just watched first two episodes of Narcos, very good

Agree, started watching and it's decent so far, but the Goodfellas-esque narration is a bit jarring to me. Hopefully it thins out in the later episodes once all the exposition is out of the way.

Really into 'Show me a hero' on Sky Atlantic. Written by David Simon and about a housing crisis in Yonkers, NY in 1987. Incredibly dry subject matter but it's very well written and engaging and Oscar Isaac is incredible. Also, many of your favourite Wire alums pop up in cameos, Freeman, Mouzone, Levy, Namond, Greggs' girl. Only 6 episodes as well so won't take any time at all to burn through.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Blunt Talk with Patrick Stewart as a Brit broadcaster on US TV is worth a look. Second episode where he misses a flight due to a high tech khazi at the airport is very funny as well as being pretty realistic

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Truly we are in the third golden age of TV

50s/60s
70s
Now

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I don't know how to search this thread for The Jinx, but someone mentioned it on here so thank you whoever you are - goodness me I can't remember I last watched something so gripping. A true crime documentary which, with most TV/film things, is worth not Googling before you start but to just let this extraordinary story unfold. It left me both speechless and wanting to talk about it to someone. Fantastic.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I have just finished watching ''The Affair'. Sky Atlantic. 10 episodes. Gripping stuff and tremendous acting. Series 2 is in the autumn. Anybody else see it?

I have it to watch and have heard nothing but good things about it. Didn't they win awards (Emmys perhaps) for it?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've just watched the first 2 episodes of Aquarius.

A little formulaic, with twists shoehorned in for effect.
But I think I'll stay with it primarily for David Duchovny who's always class.

I'm up to episode five and I've been mostly enjoying it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Agree, started watching and it's decent so far, but the Goodfellas-esque narration is a bit jarring to me. Hopefully it thins out in the later episodes once all the exposition is out of the way.

im 7 episodes in and the goodfellas style thins out only slightly,it sort of becomes quite useful when explaining the inns and outs of the political stuff and who is in bed with who,and who is corrupt(most of Columbia it would seem)

great news is Narcos is consistently great up to the point i am at.........best US tv drama i have seen for quite a while

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm up to episode five and I've been mostly enjoying it.

For me the only major problem (which I probably shouldn't pass on) is the nagging voice in the back of my head saying:-

'They're going to run out of appropriate music' :lolol:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I have just finished watching ''The Affair'. Sky Atlantic. 10 episodes. Gripping stuff and tremendous acting. Series 2 is in the autumn. Anybody else see it?

Thanks to you, I've just spent the last week glued to it. It quickly went from 'diverting' to 'curious' to 'more curious' to 'this is really very good indeed' - thought the women in particular were excellent (the scene between Alison and the doctor had me welling up no end); and kinda nice that both leads are Brits :thumbsup:

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I don't know how to search this thread for The Jinx, but someone mentioned it on here so thank you whoever you are - goodness me I can't remember I last watched something so gripping. A true crime documentary which, with most TV/film things, is worth not Googling before you start but to just let this extraordinary story unfold. It left me both speechless and wanting to talk about it to someone. Fantastic.
Just about to start this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here