Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Anyone seen the first one or two episodes of Masters of Sex? It's supposed to be good! Another coup for Channel 4 by the sound of it - after also getting Agents of Shield. Hopefully a sign that terrestrial channels are willing to pay for good US stuff. Wish the BBC would follow suit - especially as they get a lot for all their co-productions with the US.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Yes, just the one episode broadcast so far. I thought it had been cancelled

Me too. Preposterously appropriate ending to the last series, I do hope they keep their standards high as apparently this *will* be the last one.

Exciting new additions here, which is alarming as I've got about 13 solid days of stuff to get through. This does mean that I've had to be brutal - "Suits" and "Continuum", I shall return one day to them, swiftly made way for Boss, Kelsey Grammer as the mayor of Chicago with a monstrously good performance. Top notch script, photography, direction, the storyline is clever and tense and the plotting is gripping, plus Kathleen Robertson as a troubled aide, is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-09-03/air-dates-your-guide-to-the-best-new-and-returning-shows

True Blood
AIR DATE: 30 September 2013 CHANNEL: FOX SERIES: 6
New arrivals: Rob Kazinsky
Find all the latest True Blood news

Glee
AIR DATE: 4 October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky 1 SERIES: 5
Find all the latest Glee news here

The Blacklist
AIR DATE: 4 October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky Living SERIES: 1
Key cast: James Spader, Megan Boone, Harry Lennix

Homeland
AIR DATE: 6 October 2013 CHANNEL: C4 SERIES: 3
Series leavers: David Harewood
Find all the latest Homeland news

Masters of Sex
AIR DATE: 9pm, 8 October 2013 CHANNEL: C4 SERIES: 1
Key cast: Michael Sheen, Lizzy Caplan
Find the latest Masters of Sex news here

The Tunnel
AIR DATE: 9pm, 16 October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky Atlantic SERIES: 1
Key cast: Stephen Dillane, Clémence Poésy
Find all the latest Tunnel news

Hello Ladies
AIR DATE: 10pm, 16 October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky Atlantic SERIES: 1
Key cast: Stephen Merchant
Find all the latest Hello Ladies news here

Veep
AIR DATE: 10.30pm, 16 October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky Atlantic SERIES: 2
Key cast: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Tony Hale
Find all the latest Veep news

Arrow
AIR DATE: 8pm, 21 October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky1 SERIES: 2
Key cast: Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy
Find all the latest Arrow news

Boardwalk Empire
AIR DATE: 9pm, 26 October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky Atlantic SERIES: 4
Key cast: Steve Buscemi, Kelly MacDonald

Dracula
AIR DATE: October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky Living SERIES: 1
Key cast: Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Find all the latest Dracula news

Modern Family
AIR DATE: October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky1 SERIES: 5
Find all the latest Modern Family news

Elementary
AIR DATE: October 2013 CHANNEL: Sky Living SERIES: 2
Key cast: Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu
Find all the latest Elementary news

The Big Bang Theory
AIR DATE: Late October 2013 (date tbc) CHANNEL: E4 SERIES: 7
Key cast: Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyar
Find all the latest big Bang Theory news

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm really enjoying Veep.
I never really got into The Thick of It, but Veep is excellent.

Also Spider, I'm currently having my longest crack at Curb.
I watched it occasionally but could never follow it around the schedule.

Last night's episode, series 2 (pitching to ABC and cutting the child's dolls hair) had me roaring with laughter, and that just doesn't happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well 2 episodes into Homeland, and I'm back enjoying it.

They seem to have remembered what made it good in the first place.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I enjoyed 'Flash Forward', but they cancelled it after one series so it never got a chance to make sense.

Same was true of 'Terra Nova'.

Oh, and 'Awake'.

Enjoyed all three but ultimately felt cheated. Damn you American schedulers.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Oddities on Watch (sky) great program about creepy shop called Obscura in New York !
Brilliant TV

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
am i right in saying there's a new series of eastbound and down knocking about?

Yeah you're right, although you probably already know this by now. The third season is, apparently, the story that was to be told be in season 3 which was pushed back cos April Big tits couldn't make filming for season 2, which makes it a bit more interesting as they planned just 3 seasons but as it was so popular Jody Hill & DAnny McBride got persuaded to carry on. As I'm here I may as well mention that Walking Dead Season 4 has started last sunday in US & Boardwalk Empire is back to its best.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Finished Weeds, Breaking Bad, Orange is the New Black and Dexter recently, now trying House of Cards. Only done the first episode and is good enough to keep going..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oliver Stone's Untold History of the USA.

Brilliant stuff, not as good as the peerless 'The World at War', but very informative all the same.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Yeah you're right, although you probably already know this by now. The third season is, apparently, the story that was to be told be in season 3 which was pushed back cos April Big tits couldn't make filming for season 2, which makes it a bit more interesting as they planned just 3 seasons but as it was so popular Jody Hill & DAnny McBride got persuaded to carry on. As I'm here I may as well mention that Walking Dead Season 4 has started last sunday in US & Boardwalk Empire is back to its best.

The episode with Ashley Schaefer trying to kill Stevie the geisha and Kenny will live long in my memory! Eastbound and arrested development for the us comedy gold!

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Funny isn't it what classes as obscure in the UK yet appears on mainstream commercial free to air here.... I think a lot of folk have missed the point of this tread somehow.

These 2 alternative cop shows have been running on Fox FX here for a while now, we both enjoyed The Bridge (based between El Paso Texas and Juarez in Mexico, linked by the bridge of the title, season 1 just finished - it was way quirky but we warmed to it for sure, very gruesome and graphic too), and I'm loving season 1 of Low Winter Sun which is up to episode 7. It's weird as it's a Detroit based cop show yet the 2 main characters are English actors who got their breaks in Guy Ritchie gangster lad movies (the black guy who ran the pawn shop in Snatch and the big geezer who who came out on top in Rock'n'Rolla, both using passable American accents!). It's quite violent and graphic too, my wife doesn't like it.

The US House of Cards season 1 was fantastic, Spacey was chilling, we watched it in about a week as they put it up on Foxtel catch up almost as soon as it came out in the US.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the Bates' Motelists, I think it'll be handy to keep a count running:-

&

It isn't going to stay that way for long.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Normally don't end up watching iTV, but chanced upon the Americans which they showed throughout the Summer late on Saturday evenings. Saw most of the series, thought it was great, as was the acting of brit Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell. A late Cold War spy drama set in the US.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Normally don't end up watching iTV, but chanced upon the Americans which they showed throughout the Summer late on Saturday evenings. Saw most of the series, thought it was great, as was the acting of brit Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell. A late Cold War spy drama set in the US.
Yeah there's an American's thread here, not particularly long though, it was a small club.

The old woman Moscow agent has now turned up on Greg Garcia's (My Name is Earl) latest comedy The Millar's currently on ComedyCentral.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here