Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Here's a proper obscure one for you, The Guest Book:-

I'm afraid it's for those of us with Kodi.
Greg Garcia's new comedy, he of My Name Is Earl fame.

It's a good set up, a little reminiscent of Number 9 only nowhere near as dark, but nevertheless it's funny and quirky.

Finished the season last night, good fun. Thanks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Second series starts in USA next week, really enjoyed Ethan Suplee. (Chance)

A couple of weeks ago I was watching Evolution with the kids.
I spent half the film saying 'who is that guy, I definitely recognise him'.

29713-25477.jpg

Then the other half of the film wondering if he was wearing a fat suit.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Curious to hear of opinions on Star Trek: Discovery (Netflix). As a Trek fan, I was a bit 'meh' after 1st 2 episodes but really enjoyed the 3rd.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Star Trek Discovery very good indeed. Not a great trekkie but seen three episodes and think its great. Jason Isaacs!!!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Easily one of the best three things I've seen this year.

Wifey made me sit down and watch this and don't regret it. Worked it out one episode early though.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Currently on BBC Iplayer, the documentary of the Vietnam War is spellbinding. You want to look away but you can't.

Amazing that it happened in my lifetime and that of many others on here

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I heard a strong recommendation for:-

im-sorry-trutv-season-1-ratings-canceled-or-season-2-renewal-590x331.png

I've watched the pilot episode through Kodi, it's fairly decent, very adult, in a similar vein to Curb (this is NOT a comparison to CYE) but amazingly, in the pilot at least, it was full of foul language that was beeped. :shrug:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
amazingly, in the pilot at least, it was full of foul language that was beeped. :shrug:

This is extraordinary, isn't it. Censorship, essentially. Really, really blood-boiling. Whether it's bleeping, or cutting out vision and sound for the length of time it takes to say "fu", or "ass" or - and this sums that odd country up - "God/hell/damn". The people who are 'offended' by language aren't even going to be interested in the type of programmes that have (huge quotation marks here) "bad" language in it, are they?

****ing ******s :)

*Southland was a series rendered unwatchable by bleeping. Suppose I'll just have to buy the boxsets... :whistle:

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
On the superhero route..... two similar ideas in Inhumans and the Gifted but whereas Inhumans is rank, Gifted is pretty clever.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is extraordinary, isn't it. Censorship, essentially. Really, really blood-boiling. Whether it's bleeping, or cutting out vision and sound for the length of time it takes to say "fu", or "ass" or - and this sums that odd country up - "God/hell/damn". The people who are 'offended' by language aren't even going to be interested in the type of programmes that have (huge quotation marks here) "bad" language in it, are they?

*Southland was a series rendered unwatchable by bleeping. Suppose I'll just have to buy the boxsets... :whistle:

I just couldn't work out the theory.

Why commission a programme that you'll censor?
Why write a programme that will be censored?

What did anyone expect from a comedy where the main storyline was about a mother's past career in adult entertainment and her speciality involving her corridor of uncertainty.

See thanks to google I can work around it, why couldn't they?
Or at least take the show somewhere like HBO who'll let them crack on!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

What really winds me up is when they substitute 'freaking' for '****ing' - I'd rather they just beeped it

Or at least take the show somewhere like HBO who'll let them crack on!

Within a few weeks of arriving in the States I knew I had to order HBO and Showtime to get proper filthy language. Perfectly alright for the networks to show people getting torn apart in a hail of bullets but they really get their knickers in a twist about airing any word with God in it and have to beep it - to keep things in balance I think they should also beep out any references to Odin, Zeus etc

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Currently enjoying the second series of Designated Survivor on Netflix.

Each episode seems too short, so I 'save up' two or three to watch in one go.

Wifey loves this.... but it's really for her all about Kiefer!

Think Scandal is better but that's becoming a bit stoopid last two seasons.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Just watched the first season of Preacher on Amazon. Odd but watchable. No where near as bat shit crazy as that American Gods though.

And I finished the 3rd season of Narcos last night. If you've not watched that then definitely give it a go.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Just watched the first season of Preacher on Amazon. Odd but watchable. No where near as bat shit crazy as that American Gods though.

And I finished the 3rd season of Narcos last night. If you've not watched that then definitely give it a go.

Season 2 of Preacher alternated between much better and much worse.... worth a watch though. Hitler is funny (not in real of course).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here