Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Can I recommend The Expanse from season 2?

Thought season 1 was a bit gash and when I started season 2 it was on its last chance but has taken off.

Sharknado films are good if you get the humour, number 3 best imo.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix. Serial killer tv show set in the late seventies. produced and directed by David Fincher, who also made three of my all time favourite movies, Fight Club, Seven and Gone Girl.

I don't think I'm going to get much sleep tonight, its brilliant.

Thank you for posting this JR - started and really like it too. It feels deceptively low-key, but the writing, the story, the people, all are bubbling away. Very very enjoyable.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Currently enjoying the second series of Designated Survivor on Netflix.

Each episode seems too short, so I 'save up' two or three to watch in one go.

I'm watching DS now after reading your post and it's the perfect "commute watch" - like a big bag of Maltesers, sugary, moreish and so far so Kiefer, but really good fun. Do they really have a "designated survivor" in real life? I love all that secret government stuff!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Saw episode 1 and it was VERY slow I thought. Have heard it get's very, very good though, so will persevere.

I am now up to episode 6 of Mindhunter the story line and characters are developing nicely. Intrigued with the sub plot which seems to indicate a major case for the team to solve later on in perhaps this series or the next. Stick with it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just finished Norskov. Good if not great, Danish drugs cop/family issues/politics all in one.

Not exactly Borgen/The Bridge (S4 coming SOON)/The Killing but reasonable fayre.

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
I don't know what you guys do and don't get over there, but here are some of my favorite shows;

Boardwalk Empire is my all time favorite show, but I'm biased as it's set in my home region (the Jersey Shore, primarily Atlantic City). It's a 1920's, prohibition era HBO show about bootleggers and organized crime. The whole show is fantastic (it ran 5 seasons), but the first two seasons are absolutely incredible. The dialogue is outstanding as they were developing the characters and really immersing the viewer in the era. It's a mostly accurate/ somewhat fictional account of organized crime in the United States during this era, and the characters include most of the major mobsters of the time, and the rise of those who would dominate later in the twentieth century. On top of covering all kinds of stories about different American mafias, it covers World War One, the Irish Revolution, American politics of the era. Again, I grew up frequenting Atlantic City, and my hometown is set in a scene in an early episode, but I think it'd be a favorite of mine regardless.

Narcos is another favorite of mine, about the DEA's involvement in the Columbian drug wars in the 80's and 90's. Again, the first two seasons were incredibly addicting, but the two best actors left the show, and I haven't gotten into the third season, which was just released on Netflix.

If you're looking for comedy, I've been really into a show called You're the Worst lately. Parks and Recreation is a good, lighthearted show, similar to The Office.

Some animated comedies you may or may not get, Archer is extremely popular, and I really like a show called Ugly Americans. It was a really creative take on coping with diversity in an alternate reality New York City. Animals is an animated HBO show that I like a lot, too, and has an awesome soundtrack. Rick and Morty has developed a huge cult following.

If you want something totally ridiculous, try the Eric Andre Show. They managed to book some serious guests early on that had no idea the show was a total joke. It has a pretty big cult following as well.

Longmire is the most American show ever made, about a sheriff in Wyoming that solves mysteries in his rural county. The show actually does a really good job touching on contemporary American Indian issues. It's like nothing else I watch, forced dialogue and totally unrealistic storylines (they're solving murders every week in this one Wyoming county, a state that as a whole has barely half a million residents), but I love it for some reason.

I've got plenty more if anyone is looking for anything of a specific genre or something.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Saw episode 1 and it was VERY slow I thought. Have heard it get's very, very good though, so will persevere.

Just finished episode 1 and yes slow but I very much enjoyed it. Definitely going to stick with it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Belgian (Flemish) supernatural crime drama. Rather good.

6819382615bfb557680a2ac0b6ddedaa6aa538c5.jpg

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Thank you for posting this JR - started and really like it too. It feels deceptively low-key, but the writing, the story, the people, all are bubbling away. Very very enjoyable.

Binge watching Mindhunter. Just brilliant!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Can I recommend The Expanse from season 2?

Thought season 1 was a bit gash and when I started season 2 it was on its last chance but has taken off.

Sharknado films are good if you get the humour, number 3 best imo.

Absolutely agree. Season 1 of Expanse was OK but season 2 was one fo the best things Ive seen this year and cant wait for the next season of this sci-fi opera.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Did anyone see Ozark on Netflix? I'm interested to hear peoples' opinions...

Yes. It was very good. Watched it in 2 weeks which is my highest praise for any TV show.

Unusual setting in Mid-West U.S., some decent plot-twists and great acting. Well worth a try if you haven't yet started.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Netflix's Stranger Things 2, was released today.

Looking forward to watching it. The first series was brilliant, a unique retro idea.

LK Junior had us watching the first episode of Season 2 at 08.05 this morning. It was only released at 08.00am which aligned with 00:00 time in L.A. so she waited a very restrained 5 minutes before diving in.

We are now watching Episode 2 (forced rationing by me).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
LK Junior had us watching the first episode of Season 2 at 08.05 this morning. It was only released at 08.00am which aligned with 00:00 time in L.A. so she waited a very restrained 5 minutes before diving in.

We are now watching Episode 2 (forced rationing by me).

We'll watch it as a family. A rare programme that we all like across the generations!

I like to watch them in batches. Netflix series can be so good, it's addictive to carry on.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
ooooh just finished Mindhunter...... so that's a Kemper flashback is it? sets up really well for season 2..... can't wait!!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My 11 year old is quite mature for her age. She watches Once Upon a Tim, Shannara Chronicles and Pretty Little Liars. She wants to watch the 100 and I'd love to let her watch Stranger Things. What do we think? Too much?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've heard Tin Star(?) with Tim Roth is good - has anyone seen it?

The BBC have stepped up to the plate with Snowfall - not too obscure I grant you but it feels like a Netflix show (pretty much unknown actors, gooooood script, different story threads you know will eventually cross paths and probably not without violence) so I figured I'd drop it in here. Halfway through, and it is excellent. Well worth your time.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
A quick note to say that Gomorra is back for its 3rd season. Sky Atlantic I think.

*Spoiler alert*

It's still excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here