Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I loved Narcos until I noticed something that I couldn't then ignore...

image.jpg

image.jpg

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Not U.S. but ooh la la French, just watched the 'Witnesses' Series, very good if you don't mind subs ( or indeed fancy your French ). Quite Nordic Noirish.

Thanks for the tip. I was away in August so missed it when it was on Channel 4 and its not on catchup TV anymore. Luckily, after a quick search, I *ahem* found a way to watch it and binge watched it over a couple of nights. Well worth it if you like stuff like The Bridge and The Killing.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I don't know how to search this thread for The Jinx, but someone mentioned it on here so thank you whoever you are - goodness me I can't remember I last watched something so gripping. A true crime documentary which, with most TV/film things, is worth not Googling before you start but to just let this extraordinary story unfold. It left me both speechless and wanting to talk about it to someone. Fantastic.

Just watched them and agree, was gripping stuff. Thanks for the heads up, the content was pretty amazing and the whole thing enhanced by not having a narrative script. Some pretty disturbing elements came up.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Here good things about Mr Robot

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/

Not seen it yet as I'm catching up on Suits S5 and have the latest season of Hannibal to catch up on too. Also, a new season of The Big Bang Theory just came out so they'll be some of those to watch once caught up with the others. Too much good TV :) New Girl is worth a watch if you're into TBBT and How I Met Your Mother, similar humour.

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
Limitless adapted from the film, is good.
I agree Narcos was also top nouch
Power is worth a watch also

Dec 15, 2014
Here

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
might have been mentioned before
The Affair

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Saw The Jinx. Mental. Great recommendation.

Now. Either The Affair or Ray Donovan ????
Ray Donovan is immense, been addicted to each series. A good time to start with a few series out there already. Liev Scrhiber and Jon Voight are stand out actors in a great cast.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
AHS has just started a new series - American Horror Show - Hotel.

First episode was weird but watchable. It definitely misses not having Jessica Lange in it, but Lady Gaga gets her kit off

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Just watched the first episode of season 2 of Fargo, a lot happens and it was very good. Set in 1979 and based on actual events it looks like it's going to be a cracking season.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
‘Ash v Evil Dead’ starts tomorrow, 10 episodes and Bruce Campbell revives his old role again.

Looks good – can’t really go wrong with zombies, chainsaws and plenty of black humour

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Just watched the first episode of season 2 of Fargo, a lot happens and it was very good. Set in 1979 and based on actual events it looks like it's going to be a cracking season.

You do realize that when Fargo says it's based on actual events that they are fabricating the whole thing.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/2859...ont-be-fooled-by-the-shows-opening-disclaimer

So, is it really true? Was there really a man as cold-hearted as Lorne Malvo and a husband as twisted as Lester Nygaard? Did two cops from different counties fall in love over finding clues about the same case? Hate to break it to you, Fargo-truthers, but the answer is a resounding no. Executive producer Noah Hawley explains that everything about the show is fabricated, even the "This is a true story" disclaimer. He said:

"I can't speak to the movie. But the show…It's all just made up. The whole cloth. I didn't go looking for true crime. It started from a character standpoint and everything grew organically out of that."

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Saw The Jinx. Mental. Great recommendation.

Now. Either The Affair or Ray Donovan ????

I tried Ray Donovan but it didn't work for me. I'm in the minority, I know.

Tell you what I finished yesterday: Show Me A Hero. A 6 parter, written by David Simon (The Wire), from a book about the real-life political shenanigans during the 80s in getting community/low-rent housing into white middle-class neighbourhoods in New York state. Sounds riveting doesn't it. But it is. Brilliant cast (including our very own Alfred Molina), very high production values (ie looks great), makes the whole thing human/funny/tragic. A great watch. Highly recommended.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm six episodes into Jessica Jones, the latest Netflix TV show from Marvel. I'm not overly familiar with the character, haven't read any of her titles (either as a comic book or a graphic novel). It's certainly a more mature story than the films, somewhat in line with Daredevil tonally. It's a noir-ish detective drama. She is a woman with super strength, and while she can't fly she can jump very high and "fall with grace". We meet her long after she has attempted to become a superhero, but came under the influence of Kilgrave, aka 'the purple man' (in comic books he is literally purple, in this he just wears purple clothes). Kilgrave is a villain who can make people do things just by telling them to, which led to Jones doing bad things, something she has struggled to live with after escaping his grasp and assuming his death from the accident that helped her break free.

She now has a drinking problem, sleeps around, while earning a living working as a private detective. She is trying to get on with her life, and come to terms with the bad things she's done when a case walks through her door revealing the Kilgrave is still alive (that's not a spoiler, btw, it's the premise)...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here