Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Not in anyway obscure but yesterday evening Sky Atlantic finished showing the complete run of The West Wing.

Tonight at 5pm, they are starting all over again.

For me it's only bettered by The Sopranos, and is an absolute must to watch.
It's so good, The West Wing is still relevant today, predicting much of what American politics has become.

Same here. Just finished watching the whole series last night on Sky Atlantic. Saw they were starting all over again.
What an amazingly brilliant series it was!
And it also seemed so relevant to the presidential run-in that's happening now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not in anyway obscure but yesterday evening Sky Atlantic finished showing the complete run of The West Wing.

Tonight at 5pm, they are starting all over again.

For me it's only bettered by The Sopranos, and is an absolute must to watch.
It's so good, The West Wing is still relevant today, predicting much of what American politics has become.

I'll have to pick it up again. After Aaron Sorkin stopped writing it after Season 4 I sort of lost interest, Season 5 was a bit disjointed as a result. Seasons 6 and 7 worth giving a go then?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll have to pick it up again. After Aaron Sorkin stopped writing it after Season 4 I sort of lost interest, Season 5 was a bit disjointed as a result. Seasons 6 and 7 worth giving a go then?
Not really when compared to 1-4, but then again suddenly you're comparing Andrew Talansky with Bradley Wiggins.
Good enough in it's own right but a long way from the very very best.

It's worth watching from a completists perspective, there's some nice touches.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New series starting here called “Roadies” – self explanatory title. Looks pretty good from the trailers, hopefully better than HBO’s ‘Vinyl’ which I found disappointing considering who was producing it. It’s got Timothy Spall’s son Rafe in it and is produced by Showtime who have a pretty good track record with Dexter, Homeland and Ray Donovan. It starts in a few weeks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's not forget:-

640.jpg

Yet another legendary performance from the 21st centuries greatest political mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's not forget:-

View attachment 75965

Yet another legendary performance from the 21st centuries greatest political mind.

#prayforjonah

I'm not happy about humanising the greatest living American, but c'est la vie.

Also I devoured the latest series of Orange Is The New Black.
Great stuff, as always, even if it's becoming increasingly more desperate to jump the odd shark.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just watched '7 Days of Hell', shown on Sky Atlantic last night.

A Wimbledon parody that's fookin hilarious if you like parodies, I strongly recommend it to those who like silly and rude.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just finished the second series of Bosch. Wow. It started a bit slowly, but such a solid set of performances and story lines. Really enjoyed it.

I see Season 3 is on the way which is very good news.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New series of Mr Robot started last night. This was one of the standout series last year. Stylish, full of paranoia and cyber threats - definitely one for the times we live in. The 90 minute episode re-acquainted us with the morphine addicted Elliot and his hallucinatory friend Mr Robot. Hope it's as good as the first series

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Second season of Fargo on Netflix at the moment. Next series of Bojack Horseman imminent.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Just finished the second series of Bosch. Wow. It started a bit slowly, but such a solid set of performances and story lines. Really enjoyed it.

I see Season 3 is on the way which is very good news.
Cheers for this. Enjoyed the first season and the books. Didn't realise there was a season 2

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyone see the new Netflix serial, Stranger Things? It has Winona Ryder over-acting like hell in it but there's just enough of an air of mystery to keep the viewer engaged

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
"The night of" - new HBO series that I would really recommend. A young Pakistani student borrows his father's taxi to go to a party. On the way he meets a girl, goes back to her apartment, gets stoned and wakes up to find she has been murdered. He then becomes the prime suspect for her murder. First 2 episodes have been very good with some great performances from a relatively unknown cast including John Turturro as the budget lawyer. It's got all the trademark HBO touches. Based on BBC series 'Criminal Justice'

Last edited:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Ray Donovan, brilliant. I couldn't believe how it had slipped past me but once I started watching I had a full 3 seasons to binge watch and Episode 4 , season 4 airs tonight.
I am sure some of you would have got into it already but for those who haven't you really should.

Ray is a Hollywood fixer/ hard man originally from Boston who has issues due to being tampered with by his friendly family priest whilst growing up, as were his brothers but don't let that put you off! Brilliant show stealing performance by Jon Voight as the Wayward Father "Mickey" who is just out of prison having served 20 years for a crime he didn't commit but framed by his son!

I am writing this at 5.15am so best watch it for yourselves in case my synopsis spoils it!

Sky Atlantic & HBO says it all really. Brilliant.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
Started S1 of Mr Robot and currently watching Scream S2 as it airs.

Once I'm done with these I've got The Path, The Americans, The Leftovers.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Ray Donovan, brilliant. I couldn't believe how it had slipped past me but once I started watching I had a full 3 seasons to binge watch and Episode 4 , season 4 airs tonight.
I am sure some of you would have got into it already but for those who haven't you really should.

Ray is a Hollywood fixer/ hard man originally from Boston who has issues due to being tampered with by his friendly family priest whilst growing up, as were his brothers but don't let that put you off! Brilliant show stealing performance by Jon Voight as the Wayward Father "Mickey" who is just out of prison having served 20 years for a crime he didn't commit but framed by his son!

I am writing this at 5.15am so best watch it for yourselves in case my synopsis spoils it!

Sky Atlantic & HBO says it all really. Brilliant.

I rather suspect I will return to this. I tried the first episode but didn't persevere - I have a weird history of having to be made to watch 2nd and 3rd episodes of things I've given up on (The Shield, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, GoT, to name but four, and all brilliant.) So, weirdly, Spanish Seagull, I now consider you 2016's entry to a small group of patient pestering people usually reserved for a few ex-girlfriends. Enjoy.

I've yet to try it, but Eastbound and Down fans? Danny McBride is back in Vice Principals, with Walton Goggins. This, I venture, I will watch all the way through, no encouragement necessary!

Last edited:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Anyone see the new Netflix serial, Stranger Things? It has Winona Ryder over-acting like hell in it but there's just enough of an air of mystery to keep the viewer engaged

I've been off work today and have binged through it.

Absolutely awesome throw back tv with some clever twists and excellent casting.

TV/Film snobs will sneer at the obvious Spielberg influence - think ET v Super 8 - but otherwise it's been a gem of a find and luckily more or less green lit for a new series.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here