Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Before We Die ("Innan vi Dör").... Swedish crime drama. Best I have seen in a long while.... if you enjoyed the likes of The Killing and The Bridge then I suspect you might well be gripped by this tense and twisting beauty. Super.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Did you stick it out??

I'm 3 episodes in and still wondering WTF is going on.

American Gods is about how society is replacing the old gods of religion and they are being replaced by new deities in the form of technology.

With all the advancements in technology in the western world people are no longer believers and the old gods are losing their power/influence.

So Ian McShane being Odin is out to remind people why they still need to believe in them.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Before We Die ("Innan vi Dör").... Swedish crime drama. Best I have seen in a long while.... if you enjoyed the likes of The Killing and The Bridge then I suspect you might well be gripped by this tense and twisting beauty. Super.
Thanks. Will give this a shot after finishing the EXCELLENT Narcos S3

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Thanks. Will give this a shot after finishing the EXCELLENT Narcos S3

It's brilliant isn't it. The tension stakes are unsurpassed.

May I shout out The Deuce again? David Simon's latest. Pilot aired last week. Won't be a game-changer the way The Wire was, but recognisably and reliably solid from top to bottom..

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
It's brilliant isn't it. The tension stakes are unsurpassed.

May I shout out The Deuce again? David Simon's latest. Pilot aired last week. Won't be a game-changer the way The Wire was, but recognisably and reliably solid from top to bottom..
Superb. The casting is unreal.

Watched the last four episodes in a row.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going to assume this great thread has morphed beyond the title, as I have no idea where to put this recommendation, beyond 'it's on Netflix'.

Anyhoo on Netflix last night we watched

the-walk-cd.jpg

It was obscure to us, which probably helped our enjoyed, as did giving a pass on the accents.
Back in the day I'd watched and enjoyed the documentary.
Whereas the, just preteen, Stat Club Jnrs were all new and wide eyed, jaw dropped, amazed at the denouement.

I've probably over sold the film already, but I'd definitely recommend it assuming you don't have too high hopes.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills

Is this on Netflix or terrestrial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Farang. Mr Rapace showing his biceps as a criminal comfortably running a bar out of the way in Thailand 'til his daughter comes to find him. Then it all goes to sh1t. Gangsters, drugs, corruption etc etc. Good fun.

MV5BMGRlNTYxODAtZTE2My00M2MzLWFhZmUtYmM1ZDVhN2RiMmZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjIyOTQ0Njg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I'm going to assume this great thread has morphed beyond the title, as I have no idea where to put this recommendation, beyond 'it's on Netflix'.

Anyhoo on Netflix last night we watched

View attachment 89461

It was obscure to us, which probably helped our enjoyed, as did giving a pass on the accents.
Back in the day I'd watched and enjoyed the documentary.
Whereas the, just preteen, Stat Club Jnrs were all new and wide eyed, jaw dropped, amazed at the denouement.

I've probably over sold the film already, but I'd definitely recommend it assuming you don't have too high hopes.

*edit* Just noticed you've already seen the documentary!

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Farang. Mr Rapace showing his biceps as a criminal comfortably running a bar out of the way in Thailand 'til his daughter comes to find him. Then it all goes to sh1t. Gangsters, drugs, corruption etc etc. Good fun.

View attachment 89636

Is that Breaking Bad fun or Cagney and Lacey fun?

I've started Big Little Lies following its strong Emmy showing a couple of weeks back. I know nothing about where it's going but after one episode, it feels very good. Seems to be looking at the lives of very and not-so wealthy wives and their families, and what goes on behind the smiles and passive-aggressive "This little necklace? Oh I made it in Peru"/"Of course you did." conversations - good script, funny, concerning, intriguing.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Watched the first episode but not overly impressed. The attention to detail in recreating Times Square in the 70's was amazing but just couldn't get that interested in the main characters. And what's with James Franco playing both brothers other than showing off with CGI. Will keep watching, think there's about 3 episodes so far, as it may be a slow burner

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Watched the first episode but not overly impressed. The attention to detail in recreating Times Square in the 70's was amazing but just couldn't get that interested in the main characters. And what's with James Franco playing both brothers other than showing off with CGI. Will keep watching, think there's about 3 episodes so far, as it may be a slow burner

Yeah you're right. It hasn't burst into life and perhaps won't but the stories are there for the telling. It's not a chore to watch though so like you am quite happy to see where it goes. I don't notice the twin thing anymore, it just is.

(I never made it through the first series of Treme, it just wasn't for me.)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Saw the first episode of "Curb your Enthusiasm", it was OK but not great. Still a pleasant way to while away 30 minutes. Larry still manages to be an equal opportunity offender and piss off a good percentage of those people he encounters in the first 10 minutes. Just before this episode they showed the one where he inadvertently insults Michael J Fox about his Parkinson's disease - a classic and MJF almost steals the show

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here