Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BEST and the WORST places to live in Sussex...?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Shoreham beach?! over-priced, no trees and it'll be underwater in 40 years time.

The Market regulates prices and as such it's fairly priced (with high demand) there are plenty of Scots Pines, Japonicas, Torbay Palms and the Beach is EXPANDING & has done for over a century ever since the west arm is Shoreham Harbour stopped any further longshore drift eastwards of the natural shingle movement

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not a fan of Burgess Hill. It's a very dated town that grew too quickly and now has more houses than it has facilities and infrastructure to cope with them all.

I know Crawley is pretty grim BUT at least it serves a purpose and attracts people from out of town. It has all the shops you could ever need and employment is very high. Contrast that with Burgess Hill which has a really shoddy half arsed shopping centre with barely any shops in it and aside from the AmEx presence there, very little in the way of employment opportunities. It's the sort of place you'd only ever go to if you were unfortunate enough to live there, or at least visiting somebody who was.

As for the best place, I do love Brighton but as I get older I get more and more frustrated by the incredibly high number of out of towners and tourists, many of whom never leave, and the prohibitive cost of living here. BUT as I am no fan of the country and quiet rural life I'm not going to be voting for Lindfield or Ditchling as the nicest places to live. I'm therefore picking Kemp Town as the best option. You're in the city, with everything you could need, but still get the nice village community feel with a local butcher, greengrocer, baker and plenty of decent pubs. You can enjoy the beach away from the swathes of tourists who congregate between the piers and there are some fantastic buildings in the area such as St George's Church, Sussex Square and Royal Crescent. Add in the fact that we have the much loved, if a little decayed Concorde 2, and I really do think Kemp Town has it all.

So in conclusion:

BEST = Kemp Town

WORST = Burgess Hill

Exactly what facilities are missing from Burgess Hill then compared to towns of a similar size? Very little in the way of employment! Take it you haven't driven around the business area then were there are some very well know company names. A far bigger industrial estate than say Haywards Heath.

I would in no way advocate Burgess Hill as the best place in Sussex, not by any stretch of the imagination but it is certainly a long way from being the worst.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Hastings always gets a bad press - anyone got anything good to say about it ?

Yes, it's got its grim areas, including Hollington, Central St Leonard's, Broomgrove, and probably the worst of the lot, Farley Bank (we used to distribute Christmas presents there for a church project and I was always glad to get away), but I recently did a tour of Maze Hill (designed by Decimus Burton, designer of Tunbridge Wells) with a Georgian buildings group I belong to. That is a thoroughly delightful enclave, and I have a mate who lives in St Helen's Park Road, where you could think you were in the middle of nowhere, apart from a few houses on the hill opposite. It wouldn't be my choice, but it shows not all of the town is unpleasant.

As for my current home town, East Grinstead, which has featured among the worst places, I'll have to mount some defence. It has a delightful High Street, though the main shopping street, London Road, is dire. However, we do have an excellent theatre, with a decent restaurant attached, and it has one of the best small hospitals in the country, with a world-leading eye department, and hopefully the Bluebell Railway should soon reach the town. Against this, though, it badly needs a bypass, and thanks to one of its most famous residents, Dr. Beeching, you can only travel to London by train, which I think is why people tend not to look to the coast from there for a day out. I'm sure that is why there are more Palace than Albion fans there.

Last edited:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Yes, it's got its grim areas, including Hollington, Central St Leonard's, Broomgrove, and probably the worst of the lot, Farley Bank (we used to distribute Christmas presents there for a church project and I was always glad to get away), but I recently did a tour of Maze Hill (designed by Decimus Burton, designer of Tunbridge Wells) with a Georgian buildings group I belong to. That is a thoroughly delightful enclave, and I have a mate who lives in St Helen's Park Road, where you could think you were in the middle of nowhere, apart from a few houses on the hill opposite. It wouldn't be my choice, but it shows not all of the town is unpleasant.

Hastings has the potential to be a decent place, as it has bags of character and charm.

It has though always been held back economically by terrible road and rail links (single lane trunk roads, single line railway), which makes it too isolated and unattractive for private sector companies looking for good transport links out to the rest of the country.

Exactly what facilities are missing from Burgess Hill then compared to towns of a similar size? Very little in the way of employment! Take it you haven't driven around the business area then were there are some very well know company names. A far bigger industrial estate than say Haywards Heath.

I would in no way advocate Burgess Hill as the best place in Sussex, not by any stretch of the imagination but it is certainly a long way from being the worst.

Agree, Burgess Hill is very far from being the best but certainly not anywhere near the worst.

I've lived here for 20 years and it's an OK town, the worst thing about it is it seems to be a Pikey magnet.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Crowboroughs a beautiful place, lovely country side but naff all to do !!!!

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Lancing is a nice place to live, good schools, parks and social clubs etc. Every town has the odd area that can be dodgy.

I am not a massive fan of Burgess Hill or Peacehaven - both really boring places

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
My mum lives there. Are your grandparents dogwalkers? There's a big dog walking scene up there, combined with the North Lancing Community Association,.

They used to be! I used to walk the dogs over the downs with them :D I remember running down a slope too steep not being able to stop and just rolling the last 50ft or so when I was about 10 :L :D

SeagullAA

Dec 19, 2005
I retract Uckfield.

NEWHAVEN is the worst. UTTERLY UTTERLY DEPRESSING. I only said Uckfield cos i coudnt remember newhaven that night

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Uckfield's OK. Surrounded by nice countryside. Great little cinema, lots of places to eat. No real decent pubs tho (apart from the New Inn in Ridgewood).

Hailsham, for example, has to be a helluva lot worse.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here