Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BEST and the WORST places to live in Sussex...?

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Best ... see left
Worst ... creepy Crawley

Wineham just down the road is even better IMO... and the Royal Oak down there is class.
As for somewhere more urban, Brighton/Hove all along the sea front is incredible.

As for worst, couldn't agree more, went in to Crawley the other day for a couple of hours and within 15 minutes I was following two fellas in their 40s talking about their heroin problems.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Hastings always gets a bad press - anyone got anything good to say about it ?
It has a lot potential but it has been left to rot, shame really as Hastings has real character but has very little options for young people as far as jobs go.

Best Brighton but not sure for how long as it really is going down hill but saying that still is a lot better than other Sussex towns/cities.
Seaford - very quiet, nice pubs and countryside.

Worst Crawley- nothing good about Crawley. . .nothing.
Newhaven - very depressing.
Eastbourne - shame as it used to be nice 15-20 years ago but it's just a shithole now
Lewes - the people are strange funny handshakes and all that.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Hailsham has gotta be up there for worst, it seems to just be an industrisl estate full of pikeys

Great, lets have another Hailsham bashing session, FFS sakes its not a bad place, has good and bad places like everywhere else.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Worst place..... Uckfield.
What's wrong with Uckfield - it's not that bad is it? Crowborough is surely worse.

Fully agree with the verdict that Crawley really belongs in Surrey...

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
North Lancing is a great place to live. Right next to the downs, walking distance of lancing station to get to the Amex/Brighton/London easily, not high crime and a beach close by.

My Grandparents live in North Lancing and its lovely, probably best for older people but really nice area :)

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Nobody has mentioned Fishersgate (for worst obviously), also the area around East Worthing station is pretty dire
Best: I reckon Hove or Brighton seafront. I'm originally from Shoreham Beach which isn't bad quality of life wise but can be a little dull

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Best is Steyning, home of the Strikers (runners up in some under-14 league in 1983). Worst is Peacehaven as they always had a really dirty team and loutish parents, when I played for the Strikers against them (and the place looked like a dump when we drove through it). Billingshurst Beavers were crap, as were Shoreham Boys but Durrington Dynamos were quite good.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
My mum lives there. Are your grandparents dogwalkers? There's a big dog walking scene up there, combined with the North Lancing Community Association, tell grandad to check their website. I had my car vandalised in Norbury Close by some old tart who objected to me parking somewhere that made it difficult for the senile old crone to get into her driveway. She poked it with some spiked walking stick. Never had any problems like that living in SW20 for years (apart having my number plates nicked). Sledging on the Downs there is top quality and Lancing's a top kite surfing location.
My Grandparents live in North Lancing and its lovely, probably best for older people but really nice area :)

Last edited:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Best my a country mile is Brighton. of course.
Worst is Crawley, although it doesn't really count as it's a chunk of surrey dumped over the border.

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Surrey is great, lovely countryside and superb golf courses. I live up the road from North East Surrey crematorium, though I'm in Merton, which is fab (apart from the standard of the local footy team, though 5 promotions in 5 seasons isn't bad). I've even dated a Palace fan, whose entire family are Palace fans. We went to a couple of games at Selhurst Park, but it didn't last. Never did meet the prospective in-laws.
I refuse to acknowledge that Crawley is part of Sussex - I see it as an enclave of Shitty Surrey.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here