Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories: Goldstone to Falmer via Withers and the heritage board unveiling

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Sorry this is a bit late but it took a while to get me, my camera and a 'puter together.

Mr Celebration the Elder and I did the walk from the Goldstone to Falmer before the Spurs game a few weeks ago. We were also present when the Heritage board was unveiled by Dick. Here are some pictures for those Expats, in exile or who want to go down memory lane.

Gulls Eye anyone? We walked our old route to the Goldstone, passing the place i first heard the phrase 'Johnny Crumplin Football Genius' and found out that the ground was being sold.

DSC03036.JPG

The old ground. I don't get upset anymore our future is 6.4miles away but i will never forget the great days nor the pain.

DSC03039.JPG

At the unveiling Tim Carder did a great speech drawing on our history and the battle over the Goldstone and the fight for Falmer. He invited Attila to recite a poem. It was written with his dad in mind just days before the last game and standing next to my dad, opposite the place as a kid he took me, Attila's words got me very emotional (i know i wasn't the only one including Attila).

DSC03047.JPG

So Dick, 'Mad'am er...Mayor' and Attila unveiled the lovely board to the teary eyed crowd.

DSC03059.JPG

Second post to come...

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
So after thanking Dick and Attila off we went our little guides in hand, up through Hove Park to Dyke Road where on the corner of Wincombe Road these two plaques are on the side of an old directors house. It was little things like this that really made the walk even more special.

DSC03063.JPGDSC03067.JPG

Strolling down Hampstead Road we pass the old home game boozer. I have never seen it so quiet. In football there are winners and losers. Thanks for all the happy times Girls. x

DSC03069.JPG

So off to the Withers and wow how it has changed...I will never forget getting beat by a 9 man Walsall one week and the next beating Man City!

DSC03076.JPG

What was lovely on the walk was that we met so many great Albion fans along the way, Mad Max, Mr Cambridge, an old lady who's Albion supporting husband died many years ago (we had a drink for him later). Loads of people stopped us and had a chat as well. This city is bursting full of love for the Albion!

DSC03083.JPG

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
So up over past the golf course (rude buggars!) going round Hollingbury hill we get our first glimpse of the future and we all stand and stare for 5 minutes taking in its beauty. The future is bright, the future is Falmer.

DSC03088.JPG

Taking in the last few miles as fast as we can the number of people builds with the excitement. We arrive and walk round the whole stadium

DSC03096.JPG

And get a few waves along the way!

DSC03103.JPG

Thanks for reading guys and girls, hope you enjoyed it. Sorry i am no photographer or writer.

Thanks to Tim Carder for the great little hand out, Attila for the poem and all the people we met along the way.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Did the walk prior to the Spurs game. Really excellent. And wouldn't have been half as good without Tim's guide which was enlightening and gave us a really good route. Thank you, Tim!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here