Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am now seriously thinking about emigrating. But where to?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Canada would be my choice. would have to be somewhere without a hockey team to avoid riots though.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Channel Islands are alright if you're looking for somewhere to retire to.

Yes but you have to rent for ten years before you can buy a home. Also, whilst perfume, cigarettes and booze is cheaper bread, butter and any other food is more expensive.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Isle of Wight.

Little ferry and a train journey from Amex, and yet the rest of the time you are living in a World that stopped in 1958.

Unfortunately it still suffers the problems the rest of Britain does. Namely no jobs, disproportionately high cost of living and disaffected young people with no futures

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Your right after the events of the last few days this country has finally hit rock bottom. Let's be honest shall we, this f***ed up government have hardly won any friends since taking over have they. I don't condone what these thugs are doing, but lets be honest every single hard working person up and down this country is worried to hell they are going to lose their job, they have less money in their pocket due to rising bills, and it feels like this government does not give a shit about the people that really matter.

Nobody is listening.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Let's all go to Uruguay in honour of Gus!

No riots here in Dubai, but it's not somewhere you'd want to live out your days. More like 2-4 years.

I'd vote Canada too, having been born there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A friend moved to Canada last year to be near his sister and then had to return after 6 months as he couldn't get a work permit. He had a job lined up but it didn't work out for him so he had to give up and come back to the UK.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'd go for Switzerland if I could get the family to move out there with me. Cheap flights back to Gatwick to get to the Amex, and the environment is far more pleasant than here. I'll give you an example: in 2001 we attended the Swiss National Day celebrations in Zweisimmen, a sort of district town for the area. The entire central square was plastered in wurst wrappings and beer bottles when the celebrations were over. We went back into the town early the next morning. The entire lot had gone and the place was back to normal again. The same year we went to Lewes to go Christmas shopping, and the place was covered in burger wrappings, beer bottles and vomit. The council workers didn't turn up until 10 am to clear up all the mess. Also, it has a superb transport system, both rail and road, without half the traffic we get here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cape Town is very nice indeed. The crime thing is so overblown, mostly by people who have never been here. Sure, there is lots of crime but it's mostly in the townships and very poor areas where you will never need to go.
Today, it's still mid-winter, 25C and perfectly sunny and petrol about 85p a litre.

That's OK if your conscience will let you live like a king whilst others live in cardboard and corrugated makeshift houses in shanty towns. I loved Constantia but I couldn't live there with armed guards and barbed wire topped walls and seeing the squalor just a few miles down the road.

I agree it's a beautiful area though, I especially liked the drive to Camps Bay

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Constantia is way out of my price range I'm afraid. I live in a mixed-race area and certainly don't live like a king here.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Unfortunately the Aussies will only take you if you're skilled in something they want.

Sadly your criteria leave you with little choice. It's the English speaking bit that;s the problem.

I've been looking at leaving these shores for a while now as the ONLY thing keeping me here is the Albion.

So far I've come to the conclusion that Denmark or Sweden make the most sense and whilst I would need to learn the language if I wanted to be fully integrated, it isn't difficult to get by with just English, as EVERYONE in Scandinavia speaks English.

Not particularly warm places, sadly, but their politics make a great deal of sense

I lived in Denmark until a few years ago - if you are serious drop me a line, I'd be more than happy to share my experiences.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I'm sorry to say it's still mostly dearer than Sweden though.. in fact, it's preferable for Fynen based Danes to make the drive over t'bridge to Malmö and stock up..

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I live in Czech. Dont speak the lingo but there are many English speaking company's here. Cost of living is very low and its cheap and easy to get back to the UK.

This....

This is the 5th country ive lived in apart from England. Saudi, Holland, Belgium, Germany and here. Speaking English actually helps here. Everybody wants to learn English as it improves job prospects. Ive dated more beautiful women here JUST because im a native English speaker is unbelievable. Beers not bad, and If you are inclined, you can carry 15 gr of grass (10 gr more than Amsterdam) and low crime rate) In Holland the bastards actually spoke better English than me. Just avoid France (for many reasons apart from the fact they are and always will be our natural enemy)

Last edited:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I emigrated 10 years ago and I wish I hadn't. There's nowhere like Blighty, riots and all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here