Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ale at the AMEX

BarnbyDunnyRover

Aug 2, 2011
Morning chaps,im coming down to the game on saturday really looking forward to it was just wondering if anyone had tried the larger/bitter at your game against spurs?is it any good?whats the avaliable brands?& being a tight yorkshireman how much does it cost?hope all goes well saturday & hope we all have a fantastic day.
RTID

Oct 25, 2003
the prices are (imo) fairly reasonable considering it's a captive audience........they may come as quite a shock to those from outside brighton, but they're about the same, if not cheaper than what you'd pay in central brighton (£3.60 for fosters and harveys/£3.80 for kronenburg)

harveys is the ale of choice, brewed up the road in lewes.......not a bit fan myself but it's fairly popular

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Also, if we have Hophead ready for this game go with that, as Sussex Best whilst being OK most of the time take ocassionally like dish water.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It would interesting to hear from Donny fans as to what their experience is next sat, and I'd be very interested to hear if they do indeed get their own ale.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Morning chaps,im coming down to the game on saturday really looking forward to it was just wondering if anyone had tried the larger/bitter at your game against spurs?is it any good?whats the avaliable brands?& being a tight yorkshireman how much does it cost?hope all goes well saturday & hope we all have a fantastic day.
RTID

Yes I tried the beer in the stadium against Spurs and I'd have to say the larger ones are much better than the smaller ones........

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The "own away ale" is a curious one isn't it?

It strikes me as akin to the stereotypical Brit taking his annual 2 weeks on the Costas and living on a full English breakfast and fish & chips.

Isn't one of the joys of travel being able to sample the local produce? If the situation were reversed, I imagine I'd go for something local that maybe I'd not seen before, over the Harvey's I can get everywhere at home.

Maybe it's me that a weirdo though.

(And, no, I'm not moaning. The club are being very innovative, but I wonder if this is possibly going too far.)

BarnbyDunnyRover

Aug 2, 2011
Yes I tried the beer in the stadium against Spurs and I'd have to say the larger ones are much better than the smaller ones........
I stand corrected well spotted if i see you on saturday i will buy you a drink but it goes without saying it wont be a LARGE one!!!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Do we know what Dark Star might be available? Normally a larger drinker but Hophead is quite nice

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, but for us it means we get to sample new beer!

Do we? I'm not sure I've heard a single mention of home concourses selling the "away ale", and access to the away concourse post-match may or may not be permitted. (Or maybe permitted for nice clubs like Donny and restricted for the bad boys like Leeds.)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Do we? I'm not sure I've heard a single mention of home concourses selling the "away ale", and access to the away concourse post-match may or may not be permitted. (Or maybe permitted for nice clubs like Donny and restricted for the bad boys like Leeds.)

Away ale only in away concourses, I think. Strikes me as strange, too, Bozza, unless they do both. But then they might waste all the beer that's local to the away team...

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I imagine the Away Ale will be available in Dick's - if you can get in...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The "own away ale" is a curious one isn't it?

It strikes me as akin to the stereotypical Brit taking his annual 2 weeks on the Costas and living on a full English breakfast and fish & chips.

Isn't one of the joys of travel being able to sample the local produce? If the situation were reversed, I imagine I'd go for something local that maybe I'd not seen before, over the Harvey's I can get everywhere at home.

Maybe it's me that a weirdo though.

(And, no, I'm not moaning. The club are being very innovative, but I wonder if this is possibly going too far.)

I broadly agree with this however there is a part of me that thinks there is a need to have that "safe" option available sometimes.

As an ale drinker myself I know what I like and what I don't, but that isn't always obvious just from the name of a beer or label on a beer tap. Now in any decent pub you can just ask for a taste of the mystery ales on offer to decide whether or not you fancy a pint or will stick to something you're more familiar with HOWEVER I would suggest that asking for tasters on the stadium concourse with a queue of fans behind you anxious to get served would likely get you a kicking.

Now you could always go in blind and hope for the best with the beer on offer BUT if you don't like it, you don't like it, and that could sour your experience whereas being less adventurous and plumping for your tried and tested bitter from back home ensures you know what you're getting and you'll not go home disappointed

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought the original plan was to have the away beers in the home bars as well, and I was looking forward to it. Whether it'll be phased in or not we'll have to see

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here