Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship Preview in the Sunday Telegraph

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Brighton and Hove Albion
New division, new stadium in Falmer and new star striker in Craig Mackail-Smith equals one of the club’s most eagerly-anticipated seasons in years. Brighton will be one of the most entertaining sides in the division to watch, but probably a season too soon to be discussing them as promotion contenders.
Prediction: 7th

Crystal Palace
Finally facing in the right direction after two tumultuous seasons, but progress will be painstaking rather than spectacular. The loss of Neil Danns will be a blow, while question marks remain over the defence. But by and large the squad has remained stable and will mature over the season.
Prediction: 18th

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/8673102/Championship-2011-12-season-preview.html

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brighton and Hove Albion
New division, new stadium in Falmer and new star striker in Craig Mackail-Smith equals one of the club’s most eagerly-anticipated seasons in years. Brighton will be one of the most entertaining sides in the division to watch, but probably a season too soon to be discussing them as promotion contenders.
Prediction: 7th

Crystal Palace
Finally facing in the right direction after two tumultuous seasons, but progress will be painstaking rather than spectacular. The loss of Neil Danns will be a blow, while question marks remain over the defence. But by and large the squad has remained stable and will mature over the season.
Prediction: 18th

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/8673102/Championship-2011-12-season-preview.html

I think I may have undestimated Ipswich with Jewell.

My forecast

Leicester 80
Forest 79
-----------------
Reading 71
Cardiff 70
Southampton 70
West Ham 67
-----------------
Brighton 67
Portsmouth 65
Palace 64
Leeds United 62
Hull City 61
Derby County 60
Blackpool 58
Middlesbrough 57
Coventry City 56
Ipswich 56
Bristol City 55
Birmingham 55
Peterborough 55
Doncaster 55
Barnsley 55
-----------------
Watford 52
Millwall 52
Burnley 48

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I brought the Sunday people today hoping they would do a review. Nothing.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Interesting top 3,i never would have had Leicester down to win it,but who am i,and for those still concerned....poor old Saint's.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't for a minute think Forest will get automatic promotion.

I sort of agree with you as they semmed to have overchieved last season, but Keane only needs to get 9 points from somewhere to get 80 points and without any clear leaders next season, I have them getting there by default.

My main point that this season there will be no such thing as middle of the table medoricity. It will be tension from the first minute; the margins are so small. Relegation or play-offs!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Expect Leeds, Cardiff, Forest, Leicester and Reading to be there or thereabouts, and - sorry! - Southampton. Birmingham might be in financial difficulties, but they've got Chris Hughton who knows all about getting out of this division, and West Ham have got Allardyce, so they won't be a pushover either.
On current squads / form, I'd expect us to finish above Donny, Palarse, Coventry, Watford, Peterborough, Barnsley and Derby.
Where will that leave us? Somewhere between 8th. and 16th. maybe?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I sort of agree with you as they semmed to have overchieved last season, but Keane only needs to get 9 points from somewhere to get 80 points and without any clear leaders next season, I have them getting there by default.

My main point that this season there will be no such thing as middle of the table medoricity. It will be tension from the first minute; the margins are so small. Relegation or play-offs!

Keane?

A couple of other previews....

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/the-championship-team-by-team-guide-2329135.html

Don Goodman: My predictions for the 2011-12 Championship season | Football | The Observer

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Don't think Southampton will finish above us considering they have virtually the same squad as last season, and certainly not play-offs.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'd be delighted with seventh, I think some people are getting carried away. It would be a very respectable placing. Whilst we have a lot of talent we don't have many players with Championship experience and that is the difference between us and the play off contenders.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Today's Times has excellent double page spread in its football supplement but on the following page predicts that we will finish 12th. Nothing wrong with having that opinion but it puts the reason as being that we have 'a weaker squad that last season'. How does that work?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
After reading this thread, it all seems a long long time ago, to where the Albion are right now.
Long may it continue :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here