Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Having spoken to a 'landlord friend of mine', he informs me that Sussex Police have visited many central Brighton pubs with the same message. It basically translates as ' we advise you to refuse entry to anyone in football colours on a Sarurday'. Now this is NOT a new local bylaw, but the publicans will have been advised that they will not receive police back up if they have problems on a football day if they have not towed the afore mentioned policy.

As an aside, Lewes publicans have been 'summoned' to a 'football policy discussion' with Sussex Police this week. Expect the same arm twisting to be put forward there.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Having spoken to a 'landlord friend of mine', he informs me that Sussex Police have visited many central Brighton pubs with the same message. It basically translates as ' we advise you to refuse entry to anyone in football colours on a Sarurday'. Now this is NOT a new local bylaw, but the publicans will have been advised that they will not receive police back up if they have problems on a football day if they have not towed the afore mentioned policy.

As an aside, Lewes publicans have been 'summoned' to a 'football policy discussion' with Sussex Police this week. Expect the same arm twisting to be put forward there.

How will that work with Saturday lunchtime and early evening Sky games? The evening games will finish about half seven? Will the 'offending' fans be kicked out ???

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Pavs the exact same - I always thought it was to do with stopping abit of "aggro" , but how many PROPER "lads" run around pubs wearing football shirts?

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
It's probably not the thought that the BHA fans would cause trouble, just that with our tourist industry, and being a short hop from London, the chances are some pissed up oppo fans on a break would give ours grief ???

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Haven't read every reply, so apologies if I may be repeating someone else.

Is it not common knowledge that football shirt wearers do not cause any trouble?
Absolutely pathetic.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

This can't be true...as for Lewes what about Lewes FC shirts-seems unfair..

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Even Springsteen wasn't a 'lad'...

From 'Youngstown'

'...When I came back from Nam, worked my way to scarfer, a job that would suit The Devil as well...'

PC BHA

Sep 29, 2005

WQW and all. I can assure you Sussex Police has not advised any landlord to refuse any fan wearing colours at any venue. If any landlord is using that as a reason to control who goes into a pub then it is not correct. We have spoken to many pubs in Brighton regarding what THEIR policy and procedures would be for matchdays. I can then advise away fans and their supporter clubs which pubs will welcome away fans. As for being summoned to a meeting for Lewes publicans, I hardly think the usual monthly pubwatch meeting is a summit. In fact when i attend as an agenda item amongst other local non football issues, I can now dispell some myths with 2games gone.

Get your landlord friend to email me if he/she needs any clarification on our stance.

So just to clarify, if a pub bans shirts in their pub, its their decision and one I personally think is short sighted.

The Pavs the exact same - I always thought it was to do with stopping abit of "aggro" , but how many PROPER "lads" run around pubs wearing football shirts?

None!

It's probably not the thought that the BHA fans would cause trouble, just that with our tourist industry, and being a short hop from London, the chances are some pissed up oppo fans on a break would give ours grief ???

When I spoke to the bouncers in the Mash Tun that was the response that I got from them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here