Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football tops banned in Brighton pubs.

After the game last night I went to meet my brother and a mate at the Waggon and Horses, I saw them outside and chatted with them before heading inside for a drink. Just as I was about to get a drink a bouncer came up to me and said I wasn't allowed to drink in the pub or be on the premises because I was wearing my Brighton top. We all left very quickly after that and I was pretty pissed off. As I walked past the Mash Tun I asked the bouncers there if they had the same policy too, which they did, the bouncer saying that anyone wearing any clubs football shirt was not allowed to drink there. I can only assume the Waggon and Horses has the same policy too.

What gets me is that the Lord Nelson, Evening Star and Railway Bell all allow home fans wearing colours to drink in their establishments and these pubs are nearer the station and so could encounter more potential trouble than two who ban club tops from being worn!

So if you head in to town after a game in future and are wearing a Brighton top don't bother trying the Waggon and Horses or the Mash Tun.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I would assume it was evening? A lot of those pubs are 'evening' venues so hardly surprising.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Noticed when I got off the train that Grand Central had a big sign outside forbidding those with football shirts on from entering but just up the road at the busy Battle of Trafalgar there was no such policy.

To be honest, if they don't want the business then it's fine by me. It isn't as if we have a shortage of pubs to choose from

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is new to you? you will note that those you mention no worrying about football shirts also dont have doorman. often its the chain owed that mipose these rules or the security firm a takes a view on it and applies across all thier doors.

plenty of others to choose from and usually those with out such rules are the btter pubs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
this is new to you? you will note that those you mention no worrying about football shirts also dont have doorman. often its the chain owed that mipose these rules or the security firm a takes a view on it and applies across all thier doors.

It needs to be consistent, as Daniel pointed out, the Waggon was full of stripes on Thursday evening following Brighton til I die at the Theatre Royal.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Some pubs are probably mindful of their Saturday evening regulars, who probably don't come out to spend it in a pub with loud football fans, especially if they've reached that 'singing' stage of the evening that can come round quite quickly if you've been drinking since lunchtime.

plenty of others to choose from and usually those with out such rules are the btter pubs.

Not new to me at all as I have experienced this at away games in the past. However I don't expect to be turned away from pubs in my home city when wearing the city's teams colours.

Some pubs are probably mindful of their Saturday evening regulars, who probably don't come out to spend it in a pub with loud football fans, especially if they've reached that 'singing' stage of the evening that can come round quite quickly if you've been drinking since lunchtime.

If that is the case then they should deal with each case individually and rely on some common sense as whether to ask customers to leave if they are being rowdy or not.
A blanket ban is not acceptable.

Noticed when I got off the train that Grand Central had a big sign outside forbidding those with football shirts on from entering but just up the road at the busy Battle of Trafalgar there was no such policy.

To be honest, if they don't want the business then it's fine by me. It isn't as if we have a shortage of pubs to choose from

Very true and I won't be visiting these two pubs if I'm wearing colours again. The thing is I very rarely wear club colours and only when we are at home, but I have never been asked to leave a pub in this area of Brighton for wearing a football top before.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If that is the case then they should deal with each case individually and rely on some common sense as whether to ask customers to leave if they are being rowdy or not.

What do you mean 'not acceptable,' surely it's up to them what policy they adopt? Just indignantly take your business elsewhere and never darken their doors again whether in colours or not.

If they have any sense they'll have big signs and banners saying "All Brighton fans welcome" next weekend.

20000 Brighton fans all in the mood to celebrate a momentous day. Win, lose or draw I think there will be a party atmosphere next week.

I was concerned about not being allowed in wearing colours. Might bring a t-shirt in case!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
One of the current problems is that it's the height of summer(apparently...) and Brighton is stag do central. Most of these head into town so won't go into the Battle, RB, etc. I presume that the concerned pubs think that a football shirt will attract every kind of Cockney, Scouse, Geordie, etc. dickhead going.

I for one have never had a problem wearing a Brighton shirt in Fitzherberts, W&H and pubs in that area. Mash Tun has been up it's own arse for years, so comes as no surprise. I would expect a mass policy change when the tourists go, towards autumn. That said, we've not had 2,500 away fans here for about 20 years.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I wonder if they would let in twelve blokes, split up into pairs and threes, in their early thirties, wearing Stone Island and Paul & Shark? More likely to get grief out of them I would have thought ???

It's their pub their rules. Who are you to say what is and isn't acceptable? Saturday evening in the centre of town you have to expect some pubs to decide that they don't want a pub full of football shirts, especially pubs like the Waggon which is always full of people heading to the Dome or Theatre Royal. They will always look after the punters that are their bread and butter.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Don't wear a blanket then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here