Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monday's Argus

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I think 'the axe' comment might be Poyet voicing his frustration at yesterday's goalkeeping display?

As for players missing out, that seems obvious doesn't it? He can't play everyone and if someone like Noone is on fire an keeping out Buckley etc then so be it. (although I'm certain Buckers will be amazing for us)

I think GP is just trying to generate the right response from the players.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Buckely did more in the short time he was on yesterday than Noone did. Nothing spectacular but looked quite tidy and clever.

That was the first time I've seen him, but preseason isn't everything. Barnes had hardly played before yesterday, and Hoskins has done well but Barnes may be ahead of him for next week now. CMS hasn't scored yet, but he will.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Buckley starts next week.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
If Buckley is supposed to fill Bennett's shoes he's gonna struggle until he is allowed to settle into his own style of 'providing' goals. I hope he is tuning in with CMS to build an understanding that will grow into something special as the season progresses. Let's not expect immediate brilliance from a team in progress.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe the axe is for the goalkeeping coach as he hasn't been able to eliminate the errors made in Portugal from either keeper?

Hangullton

Jun 13, 2010
Sompting
[MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus Andy Naylor
In Monday's Argus Poyet's axe threat, boost for Barnes and why one of Albion's big summer signings could be a frustrated spectator #bhafc

Boost for barnes could just be his scoring the first goal at the Amex? Possible frustration for big signing I expect is Buckley? And what is Poyet threatening to do with an Axe?

Discuss.

Forster-Caskey = Axe threat, boost for Barnes as Hoskins will be out for a while as a frustrated spectator?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's become the norm for the argus to promise things with tantalising headlines to get you to buy the paper for a story that is quite dull so...

Axe threat = vague threat to drop anyone who does something or doesn't do something (discipline/effort etc)
Frustrated spectator = jake caskey because of the subs reduction or hoskins because of the injury (things that have already been covered)
Boost for barnes = family? New kid giving him extra motivation (the hoskins injury would be a boost, but too much old news if the frustrated spectator comment is as above).

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
[MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus Andy Naylor
In Monday's Argus Poyet's axe threat, boost for Barnes and why one of Albion's big summer signings could be a frustrated spectator #bhafc

Boost for barnes could just be his scoring the first goal at the Amex? Possible frustration for big signing I expect is Buckley? And what is Poyet threatening to do with an Axe?

Discuss.

I raised this topic only a few weeks ago, that we had a potential goal scoring nugget in our ranks already. Though he is still raw I believe he scored 20 last season. Factor in missed penalties and some of the gilt edge chances he squandered he could potentially have had between 25-30

I'm sure Gus and his team will be focusing on this aspect of his game and if given the opportunities this season could see him around the 15 mark, subject to him making the step up of course but he loves poaching goals (like yesterday) and that's where I see him succeeding in front of goal

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think it's pretty obvious isn't it. This is Naylor remember so recycled old news.

It will just be Poyet saying something like no ones position is certain, they all gave to up their game to stay in the side etc etc

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone seen a Monday argus yet?

what does it say? who is the "frustrated" player?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Anyone seen a Monday argus yet?

what does it say? who is the "frustrated" player?
No one in particular, Buckley is the one mentioned because he hasn't played as much in preseason but basically just Gus saying there's competition and complaining about the subs rule.

The "axe threat" is Gus saying players will get dropped if they carry on making errors. Nothing special at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here