Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what happened to the expected travel chaos?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Because the following day will be a work day for many people, there will be fewer trains that time in the evening, and people with further afield to travel home will not want to be hanging around in a queue at Falmer station for very long. Last train leaves Brighton for London at half eleven of a weekday for example.

Maybe adding a number of buses going direct from the ground to Brighton station could help with that particular midweek problem?

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Where exactly are these P&Rs? I've always used Mill Road before, but these sound perfect! And I promise not to tell anyone else!

They are at mithras house and the cockcroft building.

Mithras house and the cockcroft building are the Brighton University sites on lewes road (one on each side of the road) just along from coombe road/B&Q (towards falmer).

Jul 7, 2003
Mill Road is always going to be the most popular as it is the first one fans arriving from the West on the A27 or from the North on the A23 will come to. Maybe some additional signage to point people to the alternative P&R sites might spread the load a bit.

I was one of the last to get in there yesterday at around 1:40 and the bus got to the ground in about 20 minutes. The only problem is that it has to join the queues on the A27 (our driver went down the outside land and then cut in at the last minute which helped!). I still feel it may be better to send the buses down Coldean Lane and in through Stanmer Park - especially if you get stweards giving buses priority on the roundabout. Alternatively, buses should be able to use the inside of the two lanes up the sliproad and again given priority to get onto the roundabout.

Coming back, there was an issue after the first wave of buses left as the queue got quite large and spread across the car park. The stewards (sensibly) created a second queue but there was no segregation so as soon as the next bus turned up, those at the front of the second queue jumped on the bus leaving a lot of people annoyed at having waited patiently to then miss out when others who arrived much later got onto the bus. An additional set of barriers along the waiting area to enable two queues to be created would help this. Overall the P&R worked fine well for me and I was still back in Worthing by 6pm which was not too bad at all.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And disabled parking certainly remains a problem.

I don't think the disabled spaces in Bennets field were all used. It also seemed to me that only about half the wheelchair spaces around the ground were in use. In the 1901 WSM I tihnk I saw 2 or 3 wheelchair users, then the other wheelchair spaces and helper seats were all taken up by stewards, some kids, and others who didn't bother returning to their own seats after half time.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
The Mithras House option seems interesting.

I would be travelling down the A23, coming off at Pyecombe, across to Clayton then down the Ditchling road, through Coldean to Mithras park. OR I could park in Coldean?

The other option is to use the Mill Road P&R. Is this ultimately going to be a lot quicker? I like the MH option as I can walk back if buses are busy.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Because 1000's were happy to mull around with mates enjoying a cold beer on a warm summers day. A game which finishes at 9:40 on a work night on a fecking cold day will make more people rush home at the same time. Oh and an extra 5,000 fans to boot...........

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
The Mithras House option seems interesting.

I would be travelling down the A23, coming off at Pyecombe, across to Clayton then down the Ditchling road, through Coldean to Mithras park. OR I could park in Coldean?

The other option is to use the Mill Road P&R. Is this ultimately going to be a lot quicker? I like the MH option as I can walk back if buses are busy.

Bomb it down to the A27, go east, come off at first junction (Hollingbury, Ditchling Road) and go straight down into Coldean Lane ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Because 1000's were happy to mull around with mates enjoying a cold beer on a warm summers day. A game which finishes at 9:40 on a work night on a fecking cold day will make more people rush home at the same time. Oh and an extra 5,000 fans to boot...........

A bit like most other grounds then? Although nowhere near as bad as getting away from Old Trafford, Wembley, Pride Park, Hillsborough to name the first four nightmares that come to mind, weekday, evening, weekend, summer, winter, whenever, they are all terrible.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I was VERY pleasantly surprised....we'd parked at Haywards Heath and took the train via Lewes. Perfect both ways. Falmer station is actually brilliant - is there a football ground in the UK with a closer railway station?

Old Trafford has a halt of its own, if you can class it a station... Milwall and Derby had them but the line closed and the stadium moved respectively

I nearly missed the train out due to queues for a ticket - noticed Southern / Network Rail / whoever had put Falmer Day Return on the front page of the fastticket machines which was a good idea. Thankfully it was delayed due to coupling another 377 to it to make it 6 car so got on it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If you live in the Queens Park/Eastern Road area then catch the 23 bus, it drops off/picks up from Village way. Very easy get away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think the disabled spaces in Bennets field were all used. It also seemed to me that only about half the wheelchair spaces around the ground were in use. In the 1901 WSM I tihnk I saw 2 or 3 wheelchair users, then the other wheelchair spaces and helper seats were all taken up by stewards, some kids, and others who didn't bother returning to their own seats after half time.

All the BF disabled spaces had cars in them yesterday.

Also, not all of the seats along the back row are wheelchair helper seats. Where my father sits there is a block of four seats to his right and about 6 feet away. These are not designated as disabled according to the seat plan we have. And yesterday they were being used as directors box over spill.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Left Bennett's Field Car Park 30 minutes after the end of the game, and was back home in beautiful downtown Saltdean just 10 minutes later.

Could. Not. Have. Been. Better.

Well done to all

:thumbsup:

We was in bennetts and they held us for 10-15 mins
Didn't bother us at all. Once they moved us we moved quickly away. We were very impressed with it all.:thumbsup:

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hve to say travel was excellent. Way above my expectations. Train from HH via Brighton, and returning via Lewes. I would say that I took the clubs advice and stayed for a couple of pints after, hence return journey was no problem at all. Big thumbs up from me.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
From what I can tell, skimming through a few threads, the numbers travelling by train seem to have been well below the Club's estimate - which is good news.

Getting back to Mill Road P&R seems to have presented a few problems - was it full to capacity?

The biggest issue seems to have been the time it took to get away from Bennetts Field and the University car parks - holding vehicles back from getting out of Bennetts Field would certainly help get buses and coaches out of the coach park.

I did speak to someone who was worried about how long their coach service would survive, with so few people using it.

Did anyone have a problem with queues at Brighton Station? Or getting on a train at London Road? The train I caught at Glynde had standing passengers well before it got to Lewes - but passengers wishing to board it at Lewes were being shepherded on to an alternative train that was waiting to leave five minutes later.

I heard there were problems on the London main line. What happened?

What about parking in Moulsecoomb and Coldean? How did that work out?

What about Travel Vouchers? No-one was interested in checking either tickets or vouchers on the trains I travelled on.

And disabled parking certainly remains a problem.

Still bitter? What is your problem now Tight is out of his chair?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here