Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Keeper

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't think casper got better at crosses during the season, I think we just grew accustomed to it so were less nervous, and accepted it as his game. I definitely remember regulalrly worrying that if our opposition had someone at the far post for all the crosses that went past him, we would have conceded a lot more than we did. That is something that worries me for this year: won't the championship players be more likely to pounce on this?
I dunno, I think he improved in the last few months of the season.

It's just something well have to wait and see on this season, but even if he does cost a few goals because of it, I think the plus side of his game that allows us to play the way we do, far outweighs the down side of his game.

Off course we all want the perfect keeper, but I think that sort of keeper is completely out of our league at the moment, and probably always will be. You show me a great shot stopper, who can organise his defence, is good at crosses, and can play with 100% comfort with the ball at his feet and hardly makes any errors, and I'll show you a picture of Joe Hart or Shay Given, and that sort of keeper is never going to be in our range.

So while Caspers not perfect, I don't think there is a better keeper at our level out there, who would do a better job then him if we are going to play football Lord Gus' way.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I did explain it a few quotes up. He cant deal with crosses or play on the deck. At this level he's shit. Simple. why another insult? Tree house? That would imply I'm young and immature? You can't stop yourself can you. Although like I've said you've used so many now there having no real effect on what your saying. Not sure why me saying he's shit in the first place has wound you up so much anyway. It's only an Internet forum afterall... And I'm a small fish in the big pond as they say so if what I said was so stupid why bother starting all this confrontation?
Calm down and have a lolly pop sweetheart :drama:

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Said before sat and sadly I was proved right, Brezovan is not up to it. He is a disaster waiting to happen. If CA gets injured and we have to rely on Brez we are in trouble. Any mistakes at this level will be punished, we need goalkeeping cover and fast.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think there are probably more keepers at our level and below that can play with the ball at their feet, they just aren't in teams that ask them to do it, so it's a case of never knowing until we get them to do it. Not that I think we need to replace casper yet.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Said before sat and sadly I was proved right, Brezovan is not up to it. He is a disaster waiting to happen. If CA gets injured and we have to rely on Brez we are in trouble. Any mistakes at this level will be punished, we need goalkeeping cover and fast.
I think you'll find if Casper gets injured and will miss more than one or two games, Gus will sign a top premierships side third choice on loan very very quickly. Brezovan will only be used for short term back up, and as I said before if this new 5 sub use was in place earlier, I don't think Poke would have been given a contract, as I only think he can be seen as a sub keeper for the back up keeper.

I do feel really sorry for Brezovan, as I think he's seeing the side play a way that he just cannot cope with, yet he knows at most clubs that plays a more traditional way, he'd fit in fine. You can see from his body langugae he's completely destroyed at the moment, and for his own good as well as ours, I think Gus needs to get him into a club where he can be a "normal" goalkeeper and not a Sweeper Keeper......

I like the sound of that.

From this day forth I shall now longer refer to the number one position at the Albion as our goalkeeper. Hence forth the player shall be known as a Sweeper Keeper.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think there are probably more keepers at our level and below that can play with the ball at their feet, they just aren't in teams that ask them to do it, so it's a case of never knowing until we get them to do it. Not that I think we need to replace casper yet.
It a bit of a catch 22. Because if they are capable, yet not playing that way, how do we know they are up to the task of being our sweeper keeper. And Lord Gus is never going to replace Casper, the only way would be to bring them in as a number two, and wait to see if they get a chance if Caspers injured. Its a difficult one, but as you say, I don't think its something Gus will think about in great depth until he has to.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Carlo Cudicini? Might want to finish his career as a first choice keeper & with Gus' links to Chelsea & Spurs might be tempted. Wages would presumably be a problem but if we could get him he'd be a fantastic short-term solution.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
I'm not really qualified to comment here because I have only seen highlights but from what I have seen, I know what people mean about Brez looking like a rabbit in the headlights. He was dreadful against Stoke and looked scared to death. Some have said maybe a good run in the team would sort him out. I can see that would make sense but at the same time you have to be ready to seize your chance when it comes. It's all about winners after all in this game isn't it.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Got to say I 100% agree with Mr Burns on this. Casper is easily good enough at this level, he's a great shot stopper and vital to our way of playing. It's unlikely that we'd find a keeper who is good at getting crosses who would also be as good as Casper in every other aspect. I think we'd struggle to replace him. If teams do their homework and capitalise on the crossing issue then it's just something Gus will have to work on in training. All of our other players have weaknesses too.

And Brezovan - he is good enough to be a League One number one, he was awesome for us when Poyet first joined and was extremely unlucky to be replaced by Ankergren - who, if I remember rightly, was only really signed at the time because of Brez's injury. The fact that Casper slotted in so well with the team meant that Brezovan couldn't force his way back in and the rest is history. Agree that Brez could be a decent number 2 for other Championship teams, just that he doesn't quite fit in with us.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
I'm not really qualified to comment here because I have only seen highlights but from what I have seen, I know what people mean about Brez looking like a rabbit in the headlights. He was dreadful against Stoke and looked scared to death. Some have said maybe a good run in the team would sort him out. I can see that would make sense but at the same time you have to be ready to seize your chance when it comes. It's all about winners after all in this game isn't it.

Problem is god knows how many points Brez would cost us if heaven forbid he did get a run in the team. Its a gamble Gus cant afford to take.

Imagine if that had been a league game sat against a top Championship team.. Wed all be gutted at scoring 2 great goals only to lose thanks to some poor defending and worse goal keeping..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here