Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four Four Two Season Preview

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yeah point taken but our fans talking about doing well next season is a bit premature, it's like QPR saying they have a good shout at a top ten fisnish in the prem.... not out of the question but a little unlikely.
I agree some people are getting a bit carried away, but some people are probably being overly pessimistic too. :)
Promoted teams tend to do ok at this level (not just last season), in terms of fanbase, facilities, and finances we look competitive with at least the 'average' level of Championship club and above quite a few, and our team looks good. Not sure QPR can say the same in the Premier League.

As long as we are above the relegation red line come next May and build on it then thats all I would want, yeah top 6 finish would be stunning and 12th mid table mediocrity would be fine but as long as we are still in the championship not league 1 with our superb stadium then job done.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Biggest Relegation Fight in History ! ?

¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4260157 said:
It's a very tricky league and a big step up from Lg1. Not only that, who in our squad has proven Championship experience? I can really see us getting sucked into the struggle zone. In fact, if we finish anywhere above the bottom 7/8 I'll cry semen.

I think it will be so close with the Champions getting 80 pts, runners-up 79 and 70 pts good enough for the play-offs. I think it will need 55 pts to escape relegation and even that might not be enough.

Leicester 80
Forest 79
-----------------
Reading 71
Cardiff 70
Southampton 70
West Ham 67
-----------------
Brighton 67
Portsmouth 65
Palace 64
Leeds United 62
Hull City 61
Derby County 60
Blackpool 58
Middlesbrough 57
Coventry City 56
Ipswich 56
Bristol City 55
Birmingham 55
Peterborough 55
Doncaster 55
Barnsley 55
-----------------
Watford 52
Millwall 52
Burnley 48

2011–12 Football League Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Can't believe the experts aren't tipping Ipswich to be honest. I think they are nailed on for top 6 and possible promotion push.

Paul Jewell knows what he is doing and made a big impact already there last season. They've got some handy young players there already and of their new signings, Chopra is guaranteed to score goals, already is in pre season, and Emanuel-Thomas and Stockdale are quality signings. They probably haven't finished spending either. For me they will easily finish above Brum and Forest with us.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I think Forest are gonna be making a big push this year.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
All this settling in and building is nonsense! You settle in and get stuck in a rut. Keep the momentum going. Just read this from a Watford fan on another forum:

In fairness to Southampton and Brighton we were Champions of Division Two in 1997/8 with 88 points, and then the next season finished 5th in Division One, won the Play Offs and got promoted to the Premiership. Both Brighton and Southampton got more points than that last season.

The momentum really can take you far - Millwall and Norwich showed that last year especially. Its the second season you have to worry about!

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I too would be rather happy with a 12th spot finish but that doesn't mean to say I don't want us to be higher! Roll on the start of the season :)

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
come on people 12th would be fooking quality, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. There are some huge clubs in this league that we have never been close to, thats not saying we wont but its only our first season back up.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Thank goodness for Croydon Seagull for being realistic about our finishing position in the league next season,rather than bring pressure on our manager and players, if we can pick up home points playing attractive football and finish somewhere between the relegation zone and a halfway position then we have something to build on for the following season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Relegation Battle

come on people 12th would be fooking quality, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. There are some huge clubs in this league that we have never been close to, thats not saying we wont but its only our first season back up.

Anybody finishing twelth is in a relegation battle. Without a strong squad, a few injuries you drop 6 points and suddenly we are in trouble. At least, unless there are any recognisably weak teams and I don't think they are. At first, our central defence seems currently a weak point, and we have not got Bennett to chase back at speed, or Murray to defend at corners. And who is gonna take our corners?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Anybody finishing twelth is in a relegation battle. Without a strong squad, a few injuries you drop 6 points and suddenly we are in trouble. At least, unless there are any recognisably weak teams and I don't think they are. At first, our central defence seems currently a weak point, and we have not got Bennett to chase back at speed, or Murray to defend at corners. And who is gonna take our corners?

really? last season the team who were 12th finished 20 points ahead of relegation but 13 points from the play offs......

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I would be delighted with 12th right now. I reckon 15th or so.
On another point 442 have Crawley winning league 2: so if we were to get relegated we could be playing them the following season!

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
12th would be fantastic... I don't really get the over-optimism.

The ONLY position we've really strengthened is up front (KLL I count as being here last season and we lost EB), despite the loss of GM we have definetly strengthened up front.

We did dominate league 1, but there is a big difference and a lot of quality teams who have been acquiring players that are quality not just for 2 seasons but 6 + or whatever. Doing well in the Championship isn't about big signings necessarily, CMS isnt enough, but a quality squad and 11 - there are question marks around most of our squad. That isn't a criticism, they deserve a crack at the Championship I think. But nonetheless, looking at our squad and comparing to others we need to be cautious.

In my eyes, the rise of Brighton should be a largely organic and gradual process and SHOULD take a couple of seasons to give us a firm foundation.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
12th would do me absolutely fine, thank you very much. :thumbsup:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
All this settling in and building is nonsense! You settle in and get stuck in a rut. Keep the momentum going. Just read this from a Watford fan on another forum:

In fairness to Southampton and Brighton we were Champions of Division Two in 1997/8 with 88 points, and then the next season finished 5th in Division One, won the Play Offs and got promoted to the Premiership. Both Brighton and Southampton got more points than that last season.

The momentum really can take you far - Millwall and Norwich showed that last year especially. Its the second season you have to worry about!
THIS
while 12th place could be condidered a successful season against HISTORICALLY bigger clubs,(pre-amex)
now( when the amex is at full capacity ) and with our large catchment area,
we are on a par with nearly every club in the championship, and many in the premier,
we have more MOMENTUM now, than every club in this division, this decade looks the most promising in our clubs history,
so some, prob inc chairman and manager, may not (quite rightly) be ecstatic with 12th place..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here