Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should David Cameron resign?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gordon Brown was clearly responsible for the regulation of the banks and financial services, which he failed to do adequately.

He was also responsible for maintaining the UK economy is such a state that it could ride of 'booms and busts', which he clearly failed to do (including the profligate sale of UK gold reserves).

He was also responsible for the decades of financial grief that PFI will bring.

He was also responsible for the collapse of confidence in private sector pension schemes with his ill-conceived tax raids.

All of these left us in a parlous state to deal with the global banking crisis.

Frankly, I wonder how he can sleep at nights.

In your opinion...

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Surely the Goverment (any party) can't be so inthe dark ,with so many civil servants and spooks, that they don't know when the shit is going to hit the fan .The Goverment taps everything so how come they say they didn't know about the NOW?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gordon Brown was clearly responsible for the regulation of the banks and financial services, which he failed to do adequately.

I think you will find the FSA took responsibility for this one.

He was also responsible for maintaining the UK economy is such a state that it could ride of 'booms and busts', which he clearly failed to do (including the profligate sale of UK gold reserves).

I agree that he did not balance the books well enough, spent too much on defence, education and health. As for the gold reserves, they were sold for market price at the time, which is all that can be expected. If they had not been sold they would not have generated any actual income.

He was also responsible for the decades of financial grief that PFI will bring.

I loathe PFI, but he merely copied his predecessor here.

He was also responsible for the collapse of confidence in private sector pension schemes with his ill-conceived tax raids.

Disagree, the problem with pension schemes is that they invest in equities, where the markets have been weak for over a decade, and bonds, which have delivered poor returns due to a low interest rate economy. There's no reason why pension companies should be more or less exempt from being taxed than the rest of the economy. Mis-selling of pensions took place predominantly prior to Brown being at the helm, though he did little to rectify this.

All of these left us in a parlous state to deal with the global banking crisis.

The only western economy that has escaped the global banking crisis is probably Australia, and this is due to it's mineral wealth that it could export to China during the crisis.

Frankly, I wonder how he can sleep at nights.

What would the opposition have done to improve things, and deliver the same amount of economic growth? George Osborne did suggest an alternative, which was to let the likes of Northern Rock and RBS go to the wall, rather than bail them out. We will never know if he was right, but I suspect the UK banking system would have collapsed due to the degree of interdependency.

Skilful bankers, lawyers and accountants can run rings around politicians and civil servants, so even a tighter regulatory environment would have made no difference, given the global nature of financial services transactions and the ease with which money and debt can be transferred across borders.

Brown bashing is ridiculously simplistic, having worked at Bear Sterns, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Barclays Capital, UBS, Credit Suisse and private equity houses the boys there are smarter, tougher, more mobile and harder working than any elected official, and are always half a dozen steps ahead of the curve.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Cameron is going to be on very thin ice if he doesn't display a stronger line on Brookes, personally I hate the sucking up to press leaders by ALL party leaders, but it's the here and now - Cameron is the PM and is in very close circles with the big players here, Brookes and Coulson, and his reticence to condemn them stinks.

Agreed. I think Liam (Fox, not Gallagher) may be his nemesis....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Perhaps he is afraid that Rebekah will do to him what she did to Ross Kemp, and beat him up.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'm beginning to feel very old...

When I was at school in our 6th Form we were taken around the old "Sun" printing works, when it was still in Fleet Street and was a rebrand of "The Daily Herald" which was effectively a working-class Labour mouthpiece.

Then the "News of the Screws" was basically a weekend relax from the pressures of a 5 (or often then, 6) day week.

How times change, and "Times"...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

While I fully agree that the whole Blair/Gallagher brothers episode was highly embarrassing, I think it's ironic that the poster pointing that a middle-aged man should act with more dignity is called Melia's Shoes :)

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I agree that he did not balance the books well enough, spent too much on defence, education and health. As for the gold reserves, they were sold for market price at the time, which is all that can be expected. If they had not been sold they would not have generated any actual income.

If they had not been sold they would STILL be where they are supposed to be. Anyone with half a brain would have never considered selling the NATIONS gold reserves.
Then Brown didn't even have half a brain,all he was interested in was spending as much as he could in the time that he had.
Didn't he do well.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
While I fully agree that the whole Blair/Gallagher brothers episode was highly embarrassing, I think it's ironic that the poster pointing that a middle-aged man should act with more dignity is called Melia's Shoes :)

:thumbsup::clap2::lol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If they had not been sold they would STILL be where they are supposed to be. Anyone with half a brain would have never considered selling the NATIONS gold reserves.
Then Brown didn't even have half a brain,all he was interested in was spending as much as he could in the time that he had.
Didn't he do well.

The 'Golden Brown' auctions. Brown is certainly accountable for a good many mistakes during Labour's administration. But this is a thread about Cameron, and I fail to see how Brown's shortcomings have any bearing on Cameron's!?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Gordy can sleep at night, because he dosnt consider himself responsible for any "mistakes",

those were caused by others, even though he stated , in parliment, 135 times i think, from approx 1998-2007 with a grin and a snigger,

NO MORE BOOM AND BUSTS !

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You've got as much chance of Dodgy Dave resigning than Teflon Tony being indicted as a war criminal. Dave should have the balls to tell Uncle Rupert the BSkyB bid most definitely wont go through until the ginger tart has a P45 in her hands.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gordy can sleep at night, because he dosnt consider himself responsible for any "mistakes",

those were caused by others, even though he stated , in parliment, 135 times i think, from approx 1998-2007 with a grin and a snigger,

NO MORE BOOM AND BUSTS !

I'm not defending Brown, I am merely arguing that Brown shouldn't form Cameron's defence. This thread is about Cameron is it not, and seems to have been hijacked by people wanting to talk about a former prime minister!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Now the toddler faced prick has admitted the ridiculous judgement call was his and his alone, should he walk?

It won't happen but it's nice to see the Tory tradition of hanging out with scumbags and mega rich lowlives is still going strong.

We're all in this together, just some of us more than others, evidently.

:rant: :rant:
</rant>

Pot, kettle and black spring to mind.

Oh, and the answer is NO!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Resign...........No.

Listen to people a bit more about who he hangs out with..............Yes
Like Blair with Mandelson who was sacked twice and still bought back by Blair. Labour had 13 years to correct any Tory mistakes and were'nt able to put this country back on it's feet.The whole system has it's crooks of any party.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Didn't he do well.
Had the gold reserves had been left they would now be worth 3 times what they were then,we are talking a difference of billions. Even some Labour MPs advised against selling gold at that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here