Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should David Cameron resign?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
1) I don't like the close connections that the media (and especially large media groups like News International) have with the the power brokers in this country. But I wouldn't limit that to Cameron; if you want him to disclose all meetings with people from the media, make all MPs do it. It's unrealistic to expect one person (or a select group) of people to be whiter-than-white while the rest of their profession aren't; all you are going to do then is force this contact underground.

All I'd say here is that it's fine to think about how the world 'should' be and how it might be 'unfair' to pinpoint Cameron for this, but that IS the reality, Cameron is going to be judged, to some extent or other, on this. Not by dyed in the wool Tories or (like myself), Labour supporters because we stick dogmatically to what we believe in. So if it's possible to park out political allegiances, you must realise that he is in a sticky situation.

To say that Tom Baldwin (not sure he has anything to do with phone hacking or NOTW btw), has a bit of previous and that Blair and Brown had their own inappropriate relationships with the media is undoubtably true and a bit vulgar, but the point is that Cameron, as PM, is in the spotlight and it's absolutely a big moment in his career.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Not yet! Wait for Ed Miliband to step down and David to come to the rescue, because if Cameron steps down we might end up with Eric Pickles as Prime Minister or someone of equal girth.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
They were complete and utter ***** of the highest order. Why should Cameron resign? He hired someone, but at least he got rid of him. Blair kept hiring and re-hiring Mandleson, and he was a far worse piece of conniving shite than anyone else I can ever remember in politics.

I'd have gone along with that last bit Phil, but then I remembered a certain N Clegg. He makes Mandleson look like like a rank amatuer in comparison.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Call me a silly middle aged fool but I'd rather DC waited for the results of the ongoing investigations before condemning any individual.

If we're talking about judging someone innocent or guilty I'd agree with you, but we're not. We're talking about someone who's a press advisor and if your press advisor IS the story you're in trouble. In a sensitive position like the PM's director of communications, you need someone squeaky clean - it's Caesar's wife syndrome - Coulson plainly wasn't.

Blair kept hiring and re-hiring Mandleson, and he was a far worse piece of conniving shite than anyone else I can ever remember in politics.

This and double this. How Mandelson got hired THREE times is the worst piece of judgment of all. Unless Cameron hires Herod to look into childcare provision or Peter Sutcliffe to look at prostitution law, he won't top that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Now the toddler faced prick has admitted the ridiculous judgement call was his and his alone, should he walk?

It won't happen but it's nice to see the Tory tradition of hanging out with scumbags and mega rich lowlives is still going strong.

We're all in this together, just some of us more than others, evidently.

:rant: :rant:
</rant>

In the land of the Ming-Mongs you truly are the king, aren't you?

Are you not aware that Rebekah Wade/Brooks and her husband were in and out of No 10 so often under the previous Labour government that the policeman outside was on first name terms ? ...And Ross Kemp ex-husband was the highest profile celeb campaigner for Labour in the last election? ....and that David Cameron obviously knew nothing about these hacks when he appointed Coulson.

Haven't you got windows that need licking or something?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Are you not aware that Rebekah Wade/Brooks and her husband were in and out of No 10 so often under the previous Labour government that the policeman outside was on first name terms ? ...And Ross Kemp ex-husband was the highest profile celeb campaigner for Labour in the last election? ....and that David Cameron obviously knew nothing about these hacks when he appointed Coulson.

Haven't you got windows that need licking or something?

:laugh: classic post, post of the day even!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Now the toddler faced prick has admitted the ridiculous judgement call was his and his alone, should he walk?

It won't happen but it's nice to see the Tory tradition of hanging out with scumbags and mega rich lowlives is still going strong.

We're all in this together, just some of us more than others, evidently.

:rant: :rant:
</rant>

Would love him to piss off and see the whole ConDem thing collapse but it wont happen. Also I am afraid we need a stronger Labour leader to put the boot into these Tory dickheads.

I look at the disaster the condems are becoming and hope that it may not last too much longer, then I hear the leader of the Labour party speak and my heart sinks.

Kick the Tories out, get Labour in, stop the cuts and party like it's 1999. Let our children pick up the pieces, we can have a ball!

Yes, clearly he should... and be replaced by George Osborne... that would really get the Guardian readers choking on their muesli! :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Had to laugh at Cameroon squirming over Coulson being arrested. If they finally manage to pin something on the ginger floosy who he is also "very close" to (professionally) it could get very entertaining indeed.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Had to laugh at Cameroon squirming over Coulson being arrested. If they finally manage to pin something on the ginger floosy who he is also "very close" to (professionally) it could get very entertaining indeed.

Is he? She's more closely linked with New Labour isn't she?

More importantly, that ginger bint is a year older than me and by God she looks rough. You'd think with all that money that she might have kept herself in better nick. If she's happy for the public to see her ginger hair all over the place like she doesn't care (curly ginger hair is NEVER a good look on a woman) then I can only shudder at the thought of what her downstairs looks like. It must look like a knife wound on an orangutan's back.

she should resign now and avoid further embarrassment.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is he? She's more closely linked with New Labour isn't she?

More importantly, that ginger bint is a year older than me and by God she looks rough. You'd think with all that money that she might have kept herself in better nick. If she's happy for the public to see her ginger hair all over the place like she doesn't care (curly ginger hair is NEVER a good look on a woman) then I can only shudder at the thought of what her downstairs looks like. It must look like a knife wound on an orangutan's back.

she should resign now and avoid further embarrassment.

Love the clip they keep showing of her on tv with her arse looking like a freakin' parcel shelf in a purple dress - has to have been selected by a woman :D

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No , please stay, he is doing a great job in making sure this lot won't get back in for a very long time

Are you not aware that ....and that David Cameron obviously knew nothing about these hacks when he appointed Coulson.

He wouldn't have known about the latest revelations, but DC obviously knew that AC had presided over a paper that had hacked people's answerphones (specifically members of the Royal Household) since that was why AC resigned. DC has often been quoted as having given AC an "second chance".

That AC denied knowing about the practice at the time shows he's either incompetent or a liar - which means that DC knew he was employing one or the other.

Anyway, no he shouldn't resign

Perhaps there is more to this AC/DC relationship though?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

:laugh: I feel the phrase Rusty Roof, dirty garage would be most apt.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
..That AC denied knowing about the practice at the time shows he's either incompetent or a liar - which means that DC knew he was employing one or the other...

If DC was barred from employing incompetents or liars then the only person left in the Cabinet Office would be the tea lady. Anyway, I bet if Andy Coulson was a lady and if that lady were ginger that he/she wouldn't have curly hair. Proof indeed, if ever one was needed that Tories are better than Labour.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This isn't a question of hindsight though. He was warned quite explicitly before he hired Coulson that he should steer well clear (see Peter Oborne's piece in the Telegraph yesterday) and questions about the wisdom of hiring him were raised frequently in the press before all this broke.

Cameron's judgment is certainly poor but I don't think it's a resigning matter. He should steer clear of Brooks though - one misjudgment can be forgiven, two could be damaging.

I agree with this comment. Hindsight is not an issue he knew Coulson was a crook or at the very least a man of dubious repute. I too do not think he should resign, I'm quite happy to watch him squirm and have this horrendously bad judgement follow him around like a bad smell.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
If this thing snowballs I expect it could even bring Cameron down. But I suspect it will spread sideways - other papers not owned by the Dirty Digger will be implicated. Exciting stuff though eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here