Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin Media, good, bad or indifferent ?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sky TV is a MILLION times better than Virgin, so much sleeker, faster and user friendly. The BB is good though, I get about 24mb on our 30mb line

I can't compare Virgin because I can't get them here in Central Brighton.

But my Sky Broadband is superb. 18MB here and truly unlimited downloads. Unlike Virgin who throttle the connection at peak times and have a download limit on their products.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Very strong hatred. I had their national broadband service "up to 20mb" and had a 1.5mb download speed. Fair enough, I know that it's the local exchange that has the limitation and it's not their fault. However, I moved house after 6 months with no problems at all (except the decrease in speed) and when I came to cancel a further 6 months later - after a full 12 months, they informed me that the move had caused the contract period to restart. This was the first time I'd ever heard of it. They charged me full cancellation fees and I had to write to them with a full complaint, which they never responded to. So I wrote again to a new address they provided me, and never responded. Now taking it to the telecoms watchdog.

You do realise up to 20Mb, is only 2.0MB/sec when you actually download on a PC, don't you

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
You do realise up to 20Mb, is only 2.0MB/sec when you actually download on a PC, don't you

Using what logic? Strange that my new 40mb BT Infinity connection now downloads at 38mb. By your logic, my max download speed should be 4.0mb/s?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Using what logic? Strange that my new 40mb BT Infinity connection now downloads at 38mb. By your logic, my max download speed should be 4.0mb/s?

Think you are getting your MegaBYTES and BITS mixed up

Jul 7, 2003
Have had Virgin broadband since the NTL days and not had any problems in the last few years. The only minor issue I had was that when the speeds were upgraded a few years ago, they didn't automatically upgrade my router to enable me to make the most of this - I had to ring up and ask for the new router.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Think you are getting your MegaBYTES and BITS mixed up

The download speed that I've quoted is the actual download speed as confirmed by numerous speedtest websites - not the speed at which I was downloading files. So I don't think I'm getting all that mixed up.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I guess its whose pocket you would prefer to line, Murdoch or Branson. Now that's a tough one!

If that was my choice it would always be Branson, he may be a self publishing git but he's not trying to change the World with his newspapers pushing his various agendas.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Something to think about is that if a Virgin box goes wrong they replace it at their cost as they still own it. If a Sky box goes wrong after the first year then they try a charge YOU ( although you can fight the charge ).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Something to think about is that if a Virgin box goes wrong they replace it at their cost as they still own it. If a Sky box goes wrong after the first year then they try a charge YOU ( although you can fight the charge ).

Interesting point that, I know that last year there was a mention about failing Sky boxes on Watchdog.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Branson only gave naming rights, don't think he is actually anything to do with it. But either way at least it isn't Murdoch

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Virgin is great until there is a problem.

That is true of any ISP though, believe me there's no bigger bunch of clowns than BT. Not so long ago I did some work at a BT site and I couldn't understand why they were so reluctant to contact their Help Desk. Turns out they have to use the same one as Joe Public, explained it all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we have virgin and have been on the same cable since the cable and wireless days.

one thing that annoys me, and I can understand why they do it, is that you can't cherry pick you channels.

for example, we just want the standard channels, BBC, itv c4 bbc3 bbc4 then sky sports, broadband and phone and virgin plus box to record. as there will only be two of us in a few weeks, we don't need anything else, multiple room etc etc.

but, that is not something they offer, we don't want the movies, but try and get a sales person to understand that....it's mad.

we are going to hawk round our deal at the moment and see what is best and is nearer to what we want

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Maximum package since Nynex days,17 years, get what I want ie 2 V+ boxes which are top drawer...very reliable NEVER needed repair

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Virgin is great until there is a problem.

This.

The product is excellent, the catchup telly is the best thing ever invented (I'm easily pleased), but God help you if you need to report a problem. The call centre is in India, the line is usually bad, the accent difficult to understand, and they know nothing about anything. Also, they appear to think that we have set up a password to access our account (we haven't) so invariably they refuse to deal with us completely.

"But my house is burning down, and aliens are invading through the upstairs windows with ray guns!"

"I am sorry, you need to tell me the password before I can speak any further with you"

The password, my friend is "F*CK YOU"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here