Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin Media, good, bad or indifferent ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Opinions wanted please, I'm about to move and will thus be looking for a new Broadband link. As the place I'm moving to already has the Virgin cable connection I am pretty sure I'll go with that. I just wonder if anybody has had much experience with them. I know that as NTL they had problems but are they better now ? I also know that people have very differing experiences of other broadband providers, personally I wouldn't touch BT with a barge pole but other have had no complaints. However as Virgin don't have much to do with BT unlike out ISPs that encourages me all the more.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Our Virgin broadband was wank so we threatened them to go to SKY, just before we switched over they bettered SKY's offer and now everything is perfect.

tonytowner

Apr 12, 2010
I tried to sign up with them a couple of years ago & they were absolutely hopeless.In fact they were so bad I cancelled before I started. Lots of helpful people but useless organisation. Beware

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Going back to Sky. Virgin tend to fluctuate what they charge you.

They're not bad but Sky is much more user friendly.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I have Virgin Media and I don't see why people think it's so bad.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I used to work for NTL and yes they were shite, however when i moved last time the place already had virgin in - so i weng with them. Signed up and everything on line - over a year later i still have never had to ring them up for anything service near perfect - although it's more expensive than sky.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Opinions wanted please, I'm about to move and will thus be looking for a new Broadband link. As the place I'm moving to already has the Virgin cable connection I am pretty sure I'll go with that. I just wonder if anybody has had much experience with them. I know that as NTL they had problems but are they better now ? I also know that people have very differing experiences of other broadband providers, personally I wouldn't touch BT with a barge pole but other have had no complaints. However as Virgin don't have much to do with BT unlike out ISPs that encourages me all the more.

I have been with virgin & now with sky, both are a nightmare if there is a problem with the system, its luck if you get a good person on the phone, virgin is better for "catch up" as you get a better range of programs, on sky anytime there just seems to be random sky programs & nothing from c4, bbc etc. with virgin you get bbc i player which is good!! for me if you have a choice just go for which one is doing the best deal for all channels & switch after a year or threaten to move to keep getting best deals :cool:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I too have Virgin media and have had since the old NTL days. I have not had a problem with them since they were taken over. The only small thing I would complain about is that the call centres are somewhat foreign, and I am not being racist, but I do find it very hard to understand the person at the other end of the phone. But overall, I'd say I was 99% happy with them. I have my TV, telephone, Broadband and mobile phone with them, hth.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When it works brilliant, but when it goes tits can take a bit of time on the phone, but usually get a free months credit on the broadband. Can also get 100Mb in a lot of Sussex now

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I take your comments on board with thanks. I do not have much time for BT especially as I have done a lot of network support for small customers who run businesses using an ADSL line. It's often academic which ISP you use because all of them have to go through BT at some point and BT are all too often the cause of problems. Let's just say that for a communications company their internal communication is just appalling. The peal of Virgin to me is that it's got very little to do with BT which is a big plus. I can get a good deal of TV, telephone and broadband which also appeals. The fact that the lousy service created by NTL seems to have been ironed out also appeals. Given that all ISPs use off shore support you are on a hiding to nothing whoever you use. The one exception is TalkTalk who use call centres in the Philippines and believe me, they talk with American accents and speak very good English. I have to agree with Seagull Steve about the verbal communication issues, it's not racist just a fact that call centres on the Indian subcontinent have a different version of English to that of the Queen.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We swapped from Sky for tv and broadband and BT for phone to getting everything from Virgin a few months back. Never been happier and very glad we switched.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Very strong hatred. I had their national broadband service "up to 20mb" and had a 1.5mb download speed. Fair enough, I know that it's the local exchange that has the limitation and it's not their fault. However, I moved house after 6 months with no problems at all (except the decrease in speed) and when I came to cancel a further 6 months later - after a full 12 months, they informed me that the move had caused the contract period to restart. This was the first time I'd ever heard of it. They charged me full cancellation fees and I had to write to them with a full complaint, which they never responded to. So I wrote again to a new address they provided me, and never responded. Now taking it to the telecoms watchdog.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
TV excellent. Been with Virgin for many years.
Any of their price rises are caused by Sky charging them for their channels, so Sky get everyone one way or another.

But AOL or Virgin broadband is poor, so deliberately opened up a BT phoneline, to take BT phone and enable broadband asdl with a new provider. Generally good since.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Sky TV is a MILLION times better than Virgin, so much sleeker, faster and user friendly. The BB is good though, I get about 24mb on our 30mb line

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The TiVo Virgin box looks quality (although not used it)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
just signed up with virgin ,got sky movies ,Sky sports ,Top Broadband package, telephone and top TV package for £90 a month.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here