Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
On my way to work this morning I had to stop the car in order to be sick.

I was listening to Gossipmongers. Series 1 Episode 4.

That's how good this podcast is.

Driving home tonight I had queasy (tramp) and later making a right pigs ear of parking due to laughing at 'dainty hands'. I must never to listen to that again.

Wonderful stuff.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can recommend Tunnel 29 on BBC Sounds - a good storey about an escape attempt under the Berlin Wall.

Thanks for the recommendation. Ploughed through this yesterday after reading your post. Fascinating.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ok so I’ve just caught up with the world and driving a lot have got into podcasts..

So far:

In terms of the Albion, The Albion Roar is streets ahead of others I’ve tried - subscribed and will listen weekly.

The Peter Crouch one - absolutely brilliant - finished it and looking forward to it hopefully starting again

Gossipmongers - once I got the gist of how it’s presented (a bit weirdy-beardy-vegan) I really like it.

I’m finding I like comedy story pods - anyone got any recommendations to a newly found listener as I need more to listen to as music gets repetitive!

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I’m finding I like comedy story pods - anyone got any recommendations to a newly found listener as I need more to listen to as music gets repetitive!

I've just discovered Welcome to the Magic Tavern which is pretty funny. It's been going for years and I'm not sure it will sustain its levels as I work through the backlog but worth a try
The Offensive is fantastic - It's a football The Thick of It (with similar levels of swearing) and very, very funny at times
Ron Burgundy podcast is good, especially the first series - think it's starting to lose its way a bit though

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm also flying through Tunnel 29 - thanks.

I've picked up Rule of Three.
2 people with a knowledge of comedy are joined by a comedian to discuss their top comedy choice.

There's plenty to choose from, it seemed a bit of a no brainer for me to start with:-

Miles Jupp talking about Fraiser, it didn't let me down.

I've now lined up Charlie Booker and Airplane.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton

2 people with a knowledge of comedy are joined by a comedian to discuss their top comedy choice.

There's plenty to choose from, it seemed a bit of a no brainer for me to start with:-

This sounds BRILLIANT !!

I will check it out !!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm currently wading through a few "The Rewatchables" podcasts - each episode they discuss, analyse and pick apart a movie. I've listened to the one for Reservoir Dogs (one of my all-time faves), Field of Dreams, Fatal Attraction, and am currently listening to the one for Top Gun (with Beverley Hills Cop lined up). Each one is a good couple of hours long, they're pretty entertaining and you learn a few interesting titbits about the film too, such as who turned down the roles.

(eg Christopher Reeve apparently turned down the Michael Douglas part in Fatal Attraction). If you like your films, its worth a listen.
Next up - The Shining:-

[tweet]1190021151516311552[/tweet]

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Rugby Union Weekly.... final preview at the moment.... good knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Next up - The Shining:-

[tweet]1190021151516311552[/tweet]

Yup, thats dropped into my downloads already. I'm listening to A Few Good Men at the moment, but that'll be next up.

Listened to the Beverley Hills Cop one the other day, where they float the theory that Axel Foley might be gay. Having re-watched it, I think they may be right.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Obviously it goes without saying that Roar needs to be listened to this week, excellent interview with Mr Bloom, thanks lads.

But also, The Offside Rule has a really good 45 minutes or so interview with our Bobby talking about his life, career, what he’s up to now and the future. Very enjoyable and as ever, Bobby is immensely likeable. Definitely recommend.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I love the Memory Palace podcast. I've always felt history is less about the big events and more about the people who live through them, and that's what this podcast is: short summaries of lives of often little known people or places, beautifully told and compelling listening.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

The Spinal Tap one is great fun, as is the Midnight Run one.

I only dip into it when there's a film/programme I personally like and know well enough to join in their revelling in the minutiae, otherwise I find they get rather worthy over comedy writing, a bit 'aren't we clever that we can tell you the structure of the gag'. Hearing every person they talk about described as a genius gets a bit wearing. Or maybe that's just me. But the good ones are good.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I love the Memory Palace podcast. I've always felt history is less about the big events and more about the people who live through them, and that's what this podcast is: short summaries of lives of often little known people or places, beautifully told and compelling listening.

Sounds good (no pun intended). A bit like The Reunion on Radio 4 perhaps? I'll certainly have a listen. Ta.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Spinal Tap one is great fun, as is the Midnight Run one.

I only dip into it when there's a film/programme I personally like and know well enough to join in their revelling in the minutiae, otherwise I find they get rather worthy over comedy writing, a bit 'aren't we clever that we can tell you the structure of the gag'. Hearing every person they talk about described as a genius gets a bit wearing. Or maybe that's just me. But the good ones are good.

Yes deffo.
As with films and The Rewatchables I just scroll through the content and pick and choose by the same metric.

I knew The Shining was coming up, haven't watched it in years, so watched it Wednesday then listened to the pod Thursday and Friday.
The host went nuts for the entire episode as his dad first took him to see it when he was 10, so to say it left a mark is an understatement!!

The One in Three team don't seem to joyfully revel in programme like The Rewatchables, although I've only listened to Fraser, Father Ted and Airplane but nevertheless I do still enjoy 'inside knowledge'.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Sounds good (no pun intended). A bit like The Reunion on Radio 4 perhaps? I'll certainly have a listen. Ta.

I love The Reunion. These just have a single narrator, and while some are better than others I've not found a single one I've not found interesting.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Having not had the time to dive in I've just listened to the first 3 of [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] and Kevin Day's Price of Football podcast, which is an expectedly excellent and insightful listen, whatever the subject.

The underlying Palace / Brighton tension between Kevin and Kieran is interesting - I wonder how that will develop over the month. Also I've noted that Kevin likes to imply the Kieran is rich etc. I've been quite surprised that Kieran hasn't risen to some of the comments to be honest!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Despite not fully bonding with Rule of Three, I've listened to the Shaun of the Dead episode and that's excellent.

If you're a fan of that team I strongly recommend it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Just started listening to Athletico Mince at long lasy, every bit as funny as I had heard, especially Peter Beardsley and his wife.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here