Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As the title says this is Podcast specific.
It being Summer many of my mainstays are on their hols.
Without some fresh blood, I'm going to end up having to concentrate at work.

Gone are:-
Fighting Talk
Tony Kornheiser
The Football Ramble
Albion Roar
The Tuesday Club
Phil & Phil's Perfect 10
AIOTM (going)

Still there:-
PTI
My Brother x3
Answer Me This
Stuff You Should Know
The Daily Bugle
The Complete Guide To Everything
Mark Kermode

So any recommendations that might fill in gaps.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Frank Skinner on Absolute Radio is my FAVOURITIST podcast.

Frank, Emily and Gareth loaf around in the studio generally talking a load of bollocks, with the odd guest thrown in (usually another stand-up comic). Its BRILLIANT. Frank cracks me up, I've been a fan for years.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Frank, Emily and Gareth loaf around in the studio generally talking a load of bollocks, with the odd guest thrown in (usually another stand-up comic). Its BRILLIANT. Frank cracks me up, I've been a fan for years.

Frank Skinner is the best podcast out there, Gareth has now left though.

Also,

Desert Island Discs
Mark Kermode Film reviews Five Live
Radio 6 recommends
and I will now start Danny Baker now he's back

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
DIDA - Desert Island Disc Archive

R4 POTW - Play of the Week

Back End of Next Week - Nick Hancock

Can't bear Kermode anymore. Since it went to two hours it's become almost unlistenable. I hate the way he panders to people who bother to turn up to be interviewed and the stuff with Jason Isaacs etc makes me cringe. Basically, he's a coward who won't criticise somebody who is sat in front of him. There - I've said it.

edit -Fighting Talk is carrying on for a while with guest presenters, I think. This week it's Nick Hancock who usually makes a good fist of it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Can't bear Kermode anymore. Since it went to two hours it's become almost unlistenable. I hate the way he panders to people who bother to turn up to be interviewed and the stuff with Jason Isaacs etc makes me cringe. Basically, he's a coward who won't criticise somebody who is sat in front of him. There - I've said it.

Ah but would you say it to his big fat crumbling face?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I know what you're saying about Kermode, that Jason Isaacs shit is unbearable, but it still kills
an hour or so. He doesn't get comedy either. Anything with a drug reference he refers back to
Withnail and I ffs that was 20 plus years ago

edit -Fighting Talk is carrying on for a while with guest presenters, I think. This week it's Nick Hancock who usually makes a good fist of it.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Iain Lee on Absolute. Shades of Brighton's own dolphin trainer Tommy Boyd & the Candyman with a bit of LBC thrown in. You need to stick with him to appreciate. Vinny, Alan Caddick, Cougar Pammy, Barry From Watford, Andre, Sarah From Kensington, Victoria the Poet and all. It's like a Victorian Freak Show.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok Frank Skinner.
I've just subscribed to Desert Island Discs.
I almost did the same for Richard Bacon, so I'll go back and do that.

Re Kermode.
I think it's great, Mayo does an excellent job for knocking the wind out of his sails.
In with all the flappy jibberish there is a lot of sense talked, and it's done with a fair degree of passion about a subject he loves.
You can't really ask for much more.
I think they've rather tired of the 'hello' business, it doesn't crop up anywhere near as often.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Frank Skinner is the best podcast out there, Gareth has now left though.

Nooooo, when did he leave ?
I'm up to about March 2011 now, having listened to all the backdated ones. I want to have sex with Emily.

Twice.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Nooooo, when did he leave ?
I'm up to about March 2011 now, having listened to all the backdated ones. I want to have sex with Emily.

Twice.

He left only last week to concentrate on his stand up - it was almost emotional

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Plenty of this, the one when Ross Noble was the guest was fall about funny.

also still partial to Mr.Pilkington & co.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
3 I haven't seen mentioned

Collings and Herrin
The Word
Adam and Joe

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I listen to the Guardian's two weekly football podcasts during the season and really find myself missing them at the moment, along with the always excellent Football Ramble. The only other talk podcast I regularly liste to is One Life Left, a show from London's Resonance FM about computer games. It's a bit geeky but I do find it comforting and gently amusing.

Other than these I mostly download music podcasts such as the Juno Download shows of various different musical genre flavours (drum and bass, electro house, breakbeat etc.) but I think I'd like to get into more talk based shows. From the suggestions so far I think Iain Lee and Richard Bacon may well be worth checking out.

As for Collings and Herrin, I'm a big fan of both these men generally, but for some reason I jus can't get into their podcast so have given up downloading it.

I'd quite like to discover a genuinely surreal and rambling podcast from someone like Eddie Izzard. Something a bit different but very very funny, y'know?

On a related matter, what does everybody use for fetching and playing their podcasts? I used to go with the traditional method of downloading through iTunes and uploading to my iPod for listening on the go BUT since upgrading my phone a few months ago I now have an Android app that automatically does it all for me. Acast knows which podcasts I like and automatically downloads the latest episodes whenever they're available, provided there's a wi-fi connection (so as not to waste my mobile internet bandwidth), and that way I don't even need to fiddle about connecting my iPod to my computer. Everything I want is ready and waiting for me on my phone. Marvellous

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Collins & Herring is going off the boil, it seems to me to be largely because 'we've got so much work on'.
I've struggled with the last few, as opposed to about a year ago, when I listened to them the moment they arrived on my i-pod.
They have certainly been dumped by 'The Complete Guide' and has My Bro x3 pushing it for second place in the genre of Blokes Talking Bollox.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here