Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Private seat license

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can see no point to this PSL lark whatsoever.

I had a conversation with a bloke in the pub the other day who's bought one. I asked him why, and he couldn't come up with any better reason than "because its definitely MY seat forever". I pointed out that all STH's will always get first refusal on renewing their seat forever anyway, but he just seemed thrilled at the notion that he "owns" his seat at the Amex.

Being as I'd never want to give up my seat anyway, unless I am missing something, I see absolutely no point in having a PSL.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The only benefit I can see is for people sharing a season ticket, IF photo season ticket cards come in then the club could refuse entry but it was suggested at the presentation I went to that if you had a PSL you could let anybody use it, a bit like the Wimbledon (Tennis) debenture seats I guess, which can be sold on ebay for example when normal tickets cannot.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i may have missed something, but doesnt "owning" the seat mean you can take a break from being a STH (say move away/traveling/ill) then come back to the same seat? meanwhile that seat can be resold by the club in your absence (can you even make money from it yourself?)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can see no point to this PSL lark whatsoever.

I had a conversation with a bloke in the pub the other day who's bought one. I asked him why, and he couldn't come up with any better reason than "because its definitely MY seat forever". I pointed out that all STH's will always get first refusal on renewing their seat forever anyway, but he just seemed thrilled at the notion that he "owns" his seat at the Amex.

Being as I'd never want to give up my seat anyway, unless I am missing something, I see absolutely no point in having a PSL.

I can only see the relevance and advantage for 1901 club. You have no choice but to buy for 5 or 50 years/life of the stadium and at least the cost per annum is guaranteed for 5 years, which means you are probably gonna win if we are in the championship or above, possibly lose if we are in League 1 or 2.

I assume if you go down the 5 year route you have to rebuy your 1901 seat at the prevailing rate in 5 years?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
i may have missed something, but doesnt "owning" the seat mean you can take a break from being a STH (say move away/traveling/ill) then come back to the same seat? meanwhile that seat can be resold by the club in your absence (can you even make money from it yourself?)

That IS one potential benefit. There was a guy at our presentation who asked about this, as he was moving to Manchester for a year studying or something, and wanted to know if he could "sub-let" his seat while he was away and then reclaim it on his return to Sussex - to which the answer was 'yes'.

For your average STH though who intends taking up his seat for years to come, I just do not see the point.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

It is YOUR responsibility to make sure the club get their revenue. If you can't get anyone to buy a ST for your seat I think you will lose your PSL by default.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have not bought a PSL but think that one of the selling points was that if we reached the Prem demand would be greater than supply so you could if you wished sell it or if you died and had nobody to take it your family could sell it on.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I can remember a couple of points (of which I think there were only 3 or 4!);

- Once they bring in season tickets with photos (no idea if this will happen/when it will be) , without a PSL it won't be as easy to pass it on to a pal if you can't attend.

- It sounded as though, if you die, the season ticket is then up for general sale. Where as a PSL can be moved down the family. Sounded harsh, but apparently they have 150 year old season ticket holders at the moment (or something along those lines!), where a family member has died, and someone else has just continued using it in their name.

I could be completely wrong on that second point, but thats how I remember it!

I didn't go for it, and no one I know has gone for it.

To me, it sounds like you get the privilege of doing a couple of things in an 'official' way, yet the club are kind enough to let people do it 'unofficially' anyway. I guess this could change at any point though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If we have electronic turnstiles like they do at the Emirates (which I understand is what ours will be based on), then nobody at the stadium even checks the card. You just "beep" it through the scanner as you pass through. Whats the point of having a photo ID on that ?

MXL

Jan 29, 2006
on the edge of LDC
That IS one potential benefit. There was a guy at our presentation who asked about this, as he was moving to Manchester for a year studying or something, and wanted to know if he could "sub-let" his seat while he was away and then reclaim it on his return to Sussex - to which the answer was 'yes'.

For your average STH though who intends taking up his seat for years to come, I just do not see the point.

My understading is the condition of the licence is you have to renew your season ticket - as soon as you decide not to renew the licence becomes void - during our presentaqtion with Brown the question was asked 'if my son goes away to uni for a couple of years and I decide not to renew his ticket until he returns will I be able to buy the seat again even though someone else may have had the seat while he was away' and the answer was NO! If you read the small print in the application it does say and I quote 'Rights are subject to the continued renewal of your season ticket purchase unless the PSL is sold on'

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
apparently they have 150 year old season ticket holders at the moment (or something along those lines!), where a family member has died, and someone else has just continued using it in their name.

QUOTE]

I heard there is a current season ticket holder who was 125, he actually died about 40 years ago and his grandson has carried on going

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The only real advatages that I can see are either:

a) you can pass on the right to the seat to a member of the family if the STH dies or decides they no longer want a season ticket. Without the PSL, you don't have that right.

b) you think Brighton will do really well and you want to make a profit by selling your right to a season ticket for that seat at some future point for more than it's face value. The example they give online is using the ticket exchange to seel your seat rights for £3k or so. If Brighton do get to the Prem and you have a good seat, and tickets are scarce, you'll be able to sell on your seat for a premium. But for most fans, if the Albion are doing that well, you'll want to go to the games.

Can't see the value for me personally.

One tiny extra potential (but as yet unclear) benefit
c) you'll be able to legitimately sell your seat on a game by game basis for a profit via the clubs ticket exchange (if they make one). the club will charge you a premium for this. If you don't have a PSL then you will not be allowed to sell your seat match by match.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
The only real advatages that I can see are either:

a) you can pass on the right to the seat to a member of the family if the STH dies or decides they no longer want a season ticket. Without the PSL, you don't have that right.

b) you think Brighton will do really well and you want to make a profit by selling your right to a season ticket for that seat at some future point for more than it's face value. The example they give online is using the ticket exchange to seel your seat rights for £3k or so. If Brighton do get to the Prem and you have a good seat, and tickets are scarce, you'll be able to sell on your seat for a premium. But for most fans, if the Albion are doing that well, you'll want to go to the games.

Can't see the value for me personally.

One tiny extra potential (but as yet unclear) benefit
c) you'll be able to legitimately sell your seat on a game by game basis for a profit via the clubs ticket exchange (if they make one). the club will charge you a premium for this. If you don't have a PSL then you will not be allowed to sell your seat match by match.

I agree with points a & b.

To add to that though I would say that it would be almost be imperative (is that a contradiction?) that you had prime seats and that you had a minimum of two together, otherwise why would anyone want to buy them?

After all, when it all settles down, I think there will be a lot of JCL's not renewing, or even cancelling theitr DD's if it starts to go tits up on the pitch.

Of course, if we reach the prem.............?

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I don't intend buying one because until I am unfit to travel, I will be renewing my season ticket. However, my nephew has a seat in our group but in a year or two, he may well go to Uni. At that time my 6 year old might start going so a PSL for that seat only will allow us to transfer it to her and then back to him if he came back to live in Sussex. That is, of course, assuming he doesn't attend Sussex or Brighton Uni!!!! That is the only advantage I can see.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Reading all the above, basically it seems to me they are making a provision for the future, assuming the club get a fair amount of success, not wishing to put the mockers on things, but should we find ourselves playing Div 1 / 2 football in a few years to come, the PSL will be out the window and season tickets and general tickets will be come readily available.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
All I can see is one big negative. Sell any PSLs in the north stand and safe standing will be permanently out of the window.

One question. Presumably PSLs are like leasehold properties. What happens when there are only a few years left on the lease?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
All I can see is one big negative. Sell any PSLs in the north stand and safe standing will be permanently out of the window.

One question. Presumably PSLs are like leasehold properties. What happens when there are only a few years left on the lease?[/QUOTE]

I have it on good authority that you either pay up VERY large sums of cash or they take you round the back of the stand and shoot you.........

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
One question. Presumably PSLs are like leasehold properties. What happens when there are only a few years left on the lease?

I would assume that the PSL holder would be offered a chance to renew at whatever the price the club are offering. But as the lease lasts for 50 years its not a pressing matter!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here