Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People chatting at gigs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Talk at the back, not at the fuckin front.

Quite. Do you mind if I steal this quote for my flyers? I'll give you a credit.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Maybe you can tune out or do you always go right near the front?

Depends what sort of night/gig it is. The ones I have been to over the last 2-3 years I think its the type of environment where it is acceptable to have a chat, and is expected. To be fair, most of the ones I have been to lately have been pretty heavy house nights..so that does differ to an acoustic gig.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Depends what sort of night/gig it is. The ones I have been to over the last 2-3 years I think its the type of environment where it is acceptable to have a chat, and is expected. To be fair, most of the ones I have been to lately have been pretty heavy house nights..so that does differ to an acoustic gig.

Fair enough, if it's a club night then sure it's fine to have a natter. And I went to see Laibach on Saturday night and I was near the front and even if people were talking then I doubt I would have heard them over the panel beating 4-4. And acoustic gig in a church is a little different though. I admit everyone was well behaved around me and I was not disturbed but there have been reports of a significant level of chatter further back during the support.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Fair enough, if it's a club night then sure it's fine to have a natter. And I went to see Laibach on Saturday night and I was near the front and even if people were talking then I doubt I would have heard them over the panel beating 4-4. And acoustic gig in a church is a little different though. I admit everyone was well behaved around me and I was not disturbed but there have been reports of a significant level of chatter further back during the support.

Laibach ?!!!!! :cool::thumbsup::salute::clap::bowdown:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
When i was 13 in 1981 my best mate and i went to see Madness at the Brighton Centre and he spent the entire gig sitting in the bar area playing bloody Space Invaders WTF ???????

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Some gigs are rather quiet e.g. acoustic, and others have quiet passages. And when people chat they talk at a level so they can be heard. More and more people are doing it and I can honestly say that every single person I have spoken to about this has agreed with me, and performers are also raising it as an issue.

You have my full support Herr.T!

Went to Noah and The Whale at Royal Albert Hall on Monday night (foolishly standing after marathon the day before!), and 3 blokes behind us were shout talking throughout gig. My efforts at quietening them were not half as effective as the wife's stare!

The odd exchange, fine, but why talk right through a gig, when you are there to give the music your full attention. And as someone else said, if you arent interested, go to the back or to the bar to chat.

Never been to the RAH before. What an amazing venue (I know thats stating the bleeding obvious)!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Talk at the back, not at the fuckin front.

No! I had to be at the back for the Sharon Jones gig I mentioned as I couldnt get to the front.

The odd "I love this tune" or "remember this" or "have you seen the video" etc is fine but I know what HT means, people actually have FULL BLOWN CONVERSATIONS that are better saved for the pub or a party.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
You need to go and see bands like Motorhead or Slayer .
Not only will you never be able hear anybody chatting at the gig. You also won't be able to hear anybody chatting the day after the gig either .punk:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
No! I had to be at the back for the Sharon Jones gig I mentioned as I couldnt get to the front.

The odd "I love this tune" or "remember this" or "have you seen the video" etc is fine but I know what HT means, people actually have FULL BLOWN CONVERSATIONS that are better saved for the pub or a party.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for complete silence throughout but this generation that are coming through (sounding old, much?) seem to have the idea that people want to hear what they're saying, treating gigs like social media. If they're going to have to do that, get to the fuckin back. I saw Deerhunter at the SB Empire last year and these two female fuckwits stood behind me about a foot away from the stage going "OMG HE'S SO THIN! IF I WAS THAT THIN I'D EAT MORE" After ruining a perfectly beautiful rendition of Helicopter I managed to elbow them both enough for them to f*** off elsewhere. Yes, I'm still angry about it now :)
I just don't get it. You pay to listen to an artist, just listen to them, and let everyone else do the same.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You need to go and see bands like Motorhead or Slayer .
Not only will you never be able hear anybody chatting at the gig. You also won't be able to hear anybody chatting the day after the gig either .punk:

Interesting call someone else made (Pantani I think) about gigs being quieter these days. Wonder if its health and safety meaning there have to be noise limiters these days.

Remember in the 80's my ears were always ringing the day after a gig (as well as having an incredible thirst straight after, having sweated pints at the front!).

But no ear ringing these days but instead hearing twats talking perhaps adds up to enforced volume limits?

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Talking is annoying..though nearer the front is better. But then you're in with people who have the need to try and out sing the band, out of tune whilst getting about 50% of the lyrics right...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I hate numpties who completely block you view holding a fooling glowing smart phone above their heads for track after track......... had a right scuffle last year at Elbow in Cardiff, that told 'em, ..... lol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did like this review of Richard Hawley at the forum the other night, doing a quiet encore entitled "the shut-the-f***-up option". Pointed dig at the talkers at his gig.

Richard Hawley – review | Music | The Guardian

Good call from Mr Hawley. It's interesting that more and more artists are now picking up on chatter. And Ian Brown got pissed off seeing a constant sea of camera phones at the Warrington gig apparently.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Only just seen this thread: I agree entirely with the sentiments but should point out this is nothing new.

In the 80s, I was a member of Ronnie Scott's for some years but eventually got so pissed off with the punters talking loudly through sets, I eventually refused to renew my membership - that was about 20 years ago and the problem seems to have got steadily worse since then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hey can this be moved onto the main board please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here