Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poor Swindon missing Greer ( according to Kamara)

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
SWINDON TOWN: Selling Greer was a huge mistake, says ex-Robins star From Swindon Advertiser)

FORMER Town star Chris Kamara reckons Charlie Austin might still be a Swindon player had Gordon Greer not been sold to Brighton.

Centre-back Greer played a pivotal role in the Robins’ journey to the League One play-off final last season, but left for around £250,000 in the summer after the club refused to open negotiations over a new contract.

With Town sliding down League One six months later, striker Austin, who scored 37 goals in 58 appearances during a whirlwind spell at the County Ground, made his way to Championship Burnley.

And Sky Sports pundit Kamara, who played for the Robins from 1977-81 and 1985-1988, believes Austin may have stayed in Wiltshire had Greer remained in the summer.

“I think the skipper has proved in the way that he’s played for Brighton, that he was a massive loss to the football club,” revealed Kamara, pictured left,who was in Swindon on Monday night for a sporting dinner at the De Vere Hotel to help raise funds for Pancreatic Cancer Research.

“I know you look at centre forwards, but one might have stayed at the club if they’d still been at the top.

“If they’d stopped shipping goals and Greer had still been there it might have been a bit different.”

The former midfielder added that the loss of the Scot in his own right had left a huge void in the Town backline.

“He’s a colossus, he’s a leader, he knows the division and he’s strong,“ said Kamara.

“I know Gus Poyet (Brighton boss) thinks the world of him. One man doesn’t make a team but if you’ve got a leader then you’ve got a chance.”

With Town facing a hugely important clash against relegation rivals Walsall at the County Ground on Saturday, former midfielder Kamara warned a defeat to the Saddlers could be fatal for Swindon’s survival hopes.

“I’m looking towards that game against Walsall and if it goes pear-shaped then it’ll take some getting out of,” said Kamara.

“They’ve still got a chance, but it would look even bleaker if they lost on Saturday.”

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
I have seen Swindon about 6-7 times this year .....they have a big hole in the middle of defence where Greer used to be, NOW they dont have a goal scorer as he has gone to Burnley (and played about 30 mins in 4 games always sub).

Kamara is correct....most of the Swindon fans know they are as good as down.....but some are still delusional and think they will survive.

No wins in 13 games tells a story.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
As the Swindon fans said in the summer, Greer moving to Brighton was a sideways move for the player and Greer is one player Swindon would cope easily without

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here