Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
For the Stat lovers who think stats are the ONLY way to judge a player. Recent games since November where AShley Barnes has started

WIN at Exeter on November 2nd
DRAW to Woking
LOST to Hartlepool
DRAW to Woking
DRAW to Bristol Rovers
DRAW to Southampton
DRAW to FC United
WIN over 10 men Pomey
LOST to Bournemouth

Barnes Sub or not in squad

WIN over Exeter
WIN over FC United
LOST to Huddersfield (our total boogey team)
DRAW (Many treated like a WIN) to Charlton
WIN over Leyton Orient
WIN over Peterborough

Wins since November with Barnes starting 22.22%

Wins since November with Barnes not starting 66.66%

As I said. You can say anything with poxy stats

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
For the Stat lovers who think stats are the ONLY way to judge a player. Recent games since November where AShley Barnes has started

DRAW to Woking
LOST to Hartlepool
DRAW to Woking
DRAW to Bristol Rovers
DRAW to Southampton
DRAW to FC United
WIN over 10 men Pomey
LOST to Bournemouth

WIN over Exeter
WIN over FC United
WIN over Leyton Orient
WIN over Peterborough

Do you think, then, that buying Barnes for £50,000 (a relatively small amount) has been a mistake, despite his 1 in 3 strike rate?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

DRAW to Woking
LOST to Hartlepool
DRAW to Woking
DRAW to Bristol Rovers
DRAW to Southampton
DRAW to FC United
WIN over 10 men Pomey
LOST to Bournemouth

WIN over Exeter
WIN over FC United
WIN over Leyton Orient
WIN over Peterborough

Okay Mr Spin-burns.

Firstly the 0-0 draw in which we were playing with an 18 year old AND reacted like a win vs Southampton, you seem to have forgotten that stat.

The fact you use starts and not appearences for more than say 20/25 minutes...

You also only use recent games - ones where our entire SQUAD has been patchy. Not just Barnes.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
First, stats are often used in debates as they allow one to support one's argument. Otherwise you end up with a pure flurry of opinion, especially when qualitative examples also are not provided. Which is fine- but not great for putting forward a strong argument.
Stats are For the Stat lovers who think stats are the ONLY way to judge a player. Recent games since November where AShley Barnes has started

DRAW to Woking
LOST to Hartlepool
DRAW to Woking
DRAW to Bristol Rovers
DRAW to Southampton
DRAW to FC United
WIN over 10 men Pomey
LOST to Bournemouth

WIN over Exeter
WIN over FC United
WIN over Leyton Orient
WIN over Peterborough

OPINION WOULD BE, if we drew with Charlton playing most of the game with 10 men, we would have bet them with 11. If we beat Pomey when they had 10 men for most of the game we may have drew, so if these happened and in my opinion MAy have, then

Barnes Starting drops to a 11% win rate
when Barnes doesnt start we have a win rate 83.3% since November.

But thats just an opinion. The real stats which everyone loves to use as there only argument are above.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO he is not good enough to start but is a good player to bring on as a sub later in the game when the defenders are tiring as is the case with Sandaza also. The best starting option without doubt at the moment is Murray and Wood, who complement each others play. Barnes exceptionally poor show yesterday didnt help him and I would be suprised and disaapointed to see him start on Tuesday.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Okay Mr Spin-burns.

Firstly the 0-0 draw in which we were playing with an 18 year old AND reacted like a win vs Southampton, you seem to have forgotten that stat.

The fact you use starts and not appearences for more than say 20/25 minutes...

You also only use recent games - ones where our entire SQUAD has been patchy. Not just Barnes.
SSSShhhhhhh. No no no no no. We can't discuss things. Stats don't lie. They are facts. They are black and white.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I love Ashley Barnes, yeah he was shit yestreday, but then so was Wood and most the team. Barnes is scoring plenty of goals and is at a young age where his game is still developing and he will get physically stronger in the coming years. He has the knack of getting in the right place at the right time, and granted he's fluffed a few, he has scored a lot too. As I said, the strength and the calmness in front of goal WILL only improve. He's in double figures already and just going to get better and better.

He is an awesome talent that I really hope we nurture and develop, rather than hound him out halfway through his first season.

Ashley Barnes - :clap:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I find it strange to label Murray a super-strongman when he pretty much dives whenever he has the chance. I love the guy and wish he'd stay forever right now, his leaps into the air flea-esque, but he's not a hugely noble character who will die for his side. We know that deeply from his playing history and sometime seeming dissatisfaction with where he is, who he plays for. He's an incredibly effective flicker-on of high balls. But to paint him as the perfect striker in order to discredit another's development and skill makes it an amateur and childish doodle.
I've grown angry at times in games for Barnes not putting them away, but the fact is he gets in those positions and normally hits the target. My internal ire is not for he to quell. He is developing and i very much liked his partnership with Murray for a large chunk of this season. I can see the corner of the net and the inside of the post becoming a regular visiting point for his shots in the future.

Ranting badmouthers tend to be not those with the most valid opinions. The points of their quills are fierce, but you end up with more of an annoying feathery tickle than the impression something with body might make.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
SSSShhhhhhh. No no no no no. We can't discuss things. Stats don't lie. They are facts. They are black and white.

Okay, so in the last month while the whole team has been poor we've lost more games that he's been in.

Whether it is the common factor between those games or not is not yet established though.

What is established, well and truely, is that he is our second top goal scorer and set for his and gus's target of 15 goals this year, and beyond.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Go back a couple of games and it was Wood getting the dogs abuse.

It's all knee-jerk on here and Nobody Knows Anything.

Not from me I have from day 1 thought that Wood did a lot of good work and took a lot of the weight off of Glen Murrays shoulders he has got even better recently but I undertsand what you are saying about knee jerk re action. I would be happy with the strikers we have with Murray and Wood starting and Barnes and Sandaza on the bench to come on if needed. Sadly for them but no spot for Holroyd or Hart.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
IMHO he is not good enough to start but is a good player to bring on as a sub later in the game when the defenders are tiring as is the case with Sandaza also. The best starting option without doubt at the moment is Murray and Wood, who complement each others play. Barnes exceptionally poor show yesterday didnt help him and I would be suprised and disaapointed to see him start on Tuesday.

That sums it up nicely for me.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I have not read through thread and dont care to. Ashley Barnes has 10/11 goals so far this season?.Should be more like 20, he needs 6 chances to score 1. He is not good enough, end of!!!!..I have never rated him and i dont think i ever will. He certainly is not good enough for championship. Average div 1 player at best, but not good enough for us moving forward. Murray is twice the player Barnes is, all over the park.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I have not read through thread and dont care to. Ashley Barnes has 10/11 goals so far this season?.Should be more like 20, he needs 6 chances to score 1. He is not good enough, end of!!!!..I have never rated him and i dont think i ever will. He certainly is not good enough for championship. Average div 1 player at best, but not good enough for us moving forward. Murray is twice the player Barnes is, all over the park.
Ahmen

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Also had a lot more experience.

If Barnes had scored every chance he had, he would be playing up at Old Trafford, and not in L1.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Barnes changed the game in our favour when he came on at Exeter.

So, and I know its a novel idea, how about supporting the lad wearing our teams colours instead of the constant sniping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here