Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
...I think he's very lucky with the continuous chances he's been given...I don't think he's up there with the rest of them, and IMO he's lacking things you cannot train into or out of a player...etcetcetcetcetc

digging-a-hole.jpg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think the point Mr Burns is he isn't anywhere near the finished article. Which is a problem if you're 30, but he's 20?

Lots of potential as we saw today. He will still have the odd bad game like any young player but generally he performs well and for my mind is getting better.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the point Mr Burns is he isn't anywhere near the finished article. Which is a problem if you're 30, but he's 20?

Lots of potential as we saw today. He will still have the odd bad game like any young player but generally he performs well and for my mind is getting better.

If you look at Mr B's original post he constantly says that Barnes lacks bottle, and is instinctively a coward. I'm not sure I agree with his analysis though.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I hope Barnes plays well like this in the coming weeks, but as Mr. B has pointed out, he did not have very good games in the two previous to this and he didn't bounce the thread. FWIW I believe Mr. B wants Barnes to do well, and reckon that deep down he enjoys this thread being bounced as it means Barnes has had a good game and we play well

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
If you look at Mr B's original post he constantly says that Barnes lacks bottle, and is instinctively a coward. I'm not sure I agree with his analysis though.
OKay cowards a bit harsh, but yer completey lacks bottle. You have to be a top top striker to be able to get away with it. He could in my opinion, and I am being completely serious here, be pushing Peter Ward record if he didnt pull out of things and generally avoid taking a clump, which you need to do if your a striker. He's got away with it, because hes playing in a side that is creating so many chnaces, he still scoring, but for me, he should be up pushing 30 by now. Bollocks about his age, you dont gain bottle with age.

THat might sound mad, but at this level he can get away with it. When the going gets tough like it will next season, and the chances dry up, and we are no longer playing teams of the park, he wont be able to get away with it like he does now, and you wait and see the grief he gets on here then! A very very lucky player, who should be something special, but in my opinion never will be. I really hope he becomes a top player, or course I do, but dont think he will. Last post for tonight, but rest assured I'll be back to say more later!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He scores at a rate of a goal every other game for us, he's 21 years old. Of course he's not always on his game, but that is still a top class scoring rate regardless. You also say he's lacking certain skills Mr Burns, but you must admit he does seem have the happy knack of getting into goalscoring positions. As a striker isn't that the most essential skill to possess, and something which is an instinct and not trainable?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I hope Barnes plays well like this in the coming weeks, but as Mr. B has pointed out, he did not have very good games in the two previous to this and he didn't bounce the thread. FWIW I believe Mr. B wants Barnes to do well, and reckon that deep down he enjoys this thread being bounced as it means Barnes has had a good game and we play well
:thumbsup: Thanks sam. Spot on.(this is the last post tonighT!!)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Prize for the most predictable bounce of the day. You win yourself a kinder egg.
With the opening post you made, of course this thread will get bounced. That's good news remember, no need to be defensive.
It's my view and I'll stick with it, until I decide to change it, and I wont be doing that each and every time he has a great game, or a shit game.
Indeed, fair point. Hopefully he'll have enough good games for you to eat humble pie.

at this level he can get away with it. When the going gets tough like it will next season, and the chances dry up, and we are no longer playing teams of the park, he wont be able to get away with it like he does now, and you wait and see the grief he gets on here then! A very very lucky player, who should be something special, but in my opinion never will be. I really hope he becomes a top player, or course I do, but dont think he will.
So you're saying he has good points and bad points, but at this level he can get away with his weaknesses, and if we're promoted he won't be able to get away with it. That's fine, and possibly true, but that's not what you said at the start of the thread:

But I thought earlier in the season that Barnes was not up to wearing the stripes, and after watching him numerous times, yesterdays performance at Bournemouth proved to me that he is out of his depth
The boy is just too lightweight for pro football, and all the time he has a hole in his arse he wont make it.
So you said he was out of his depth in this league, and that he's too lightweight for pro football - but you've changed that to: he gets away with it, but won't be good enough in the championship.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I thought he was a bit off the game in the first half. I know he set up Murray, but the ball just didn't seem to stick and he seemed to just be out of sync. Second half it all clicked and those two finished..... my God, they were top drawer.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This thread being bumped is great as it means we are doing well and Barnes has performed well for us. But do we need to rehash the discussion every time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here