Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What I find interesting, looking back on this discussion, is how I'm not sure a lot of the people defending Barnes come out of it completely clean. The thread was started when we were in league 1. There were quite a few people talking about replacing Barnes when we get to the championship, and him slipping down our pecking order as we moved up one division. There weren't many people defending him strongly enough to suggest he would not be out of place as the similar position (third striker getting a fair amount of game time) in the premier league. Even those defending him seemed to think upper league one/lower championship would be his level.

I was always keen on keeping him but i never thought for a moment that he would be doing as well as he is at this level. Call that one that got away.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Would any of us be pleased if the only striker we sign in the forthcoming window was Ashley Barnes?

Thought not, please let this thread now die.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
These Barnes threads baffle me.

Is he a decent striker, yes
Is he performing well in the Prem.... he is doing ok.

Would we be better off with him than Hemed or Murray ? Probably not.

No doubt I’ll be labeled a Barnes hater, fact is I’m not. We should have kept him (although that wasn’t really possible given the situation). But the truth of the matter is, he doesn’t really hold a place down in a Prem team, neither do Hemed or Murray, he hasn’t got a great goal scoring record in the Prem... neither do Hemed or Murray.

I’m not quite sure why they keep coming back considering he is only marginally better or the same as what we have.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very positive segment on MOTD praising how well Barnes played the lone striker role. Bringing others into play, creating changes, holding the ball up and scoring of course

Odd that the MOTD pundits should have one opinion on the player and the Amex-era boo-boys should have a completely different opinion. What gives?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
To be fair as much as I wanted him to stay it would be stretching a point to say I thought he would be a good Premier League player. He might not have made the same development under us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
These Barnes threads baffle me.

Is he a decent striker, yes
Is he performing well in the Prem.... he is doing ok.

Would we be better off with him than Hemed or Murray ? Probably not.

No doubt I’ll be labeled a Barnes hater, fact is I’m not. We should have kept him (although that wasn’t really possible given the situation). But the truth of the matter is, he doesn’t really hold a place down in a Prem team, neither do Hemed or Murray, he hasn’t got a great goal scoring record in the Prem... neither do Hemed or Murray.

I’m not quite sure why they keep coming back considering he is only marginally better or the same as what we have.

The point of the thread was two or three ignorant people were ranting about him not being good enough for Brighton, when we were still in League 1.
Nobody is campaigning to get him back although he is younger than our present aging strikers.

That's nearly as daft as saying Ryan is too short to be a good keeper.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He left us on the 10th jan 2014, so nearly 4 full seasons now.

3 goals in 29 Championship games
14 goals in 82 Premier League games

Jan 10, 2014
I can understand the Brighton fans who don't want him back or don't think that he's good enough now for them.

I mean if you polled fans of all the clubs from 6th downwards, he wouldn't get a mention. I'd want better myself as well.

What I can't understand is the Brighton fans, and the Burnley fans for that matter, who don't like him because of the way he plays.

I know that forwards are judged on goals, but the stats don't show what he brings to the Burnley team and has for the past 4 seasons. He wouldn't be playing for Burnley now if it was just about goals.

I've been saying for the past couple of seasons that we need better for the Premier League, and the odd time he does look like a Sunday league pub player, but he keeps on proving me wrong.

It's hard not to love Ashley Barnes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can understand the Brighton fans who don't want him back or don't think that he's good enough now for them.

I mean if you polled fans of all the clubs from 6th downwards, he wouldn't get a mention. I'd want better myself as well.

What I can't understand is the Brighton fans, and the Burnley fans for that matter, who don't like him because of the way he plays.

I know that forwards are judged on goals, but the stats don't show what he brings to the Burnley team and has for the past 4 seasons. He wouldn't be playing for Burnley now if it was just about goals.

I've been saying for the past couple of seasons that we need better for the Premier League, and the odd time he does look like a Sunday league pub player, but he keeps on proving me wrong.

It's hard not to love Ashley Barnes.

Just a few posters don't rate Barnes.

For others, he was and is considered to be a vital hard working link between attack and midfield, able to mix it with 'combative' PL centre backs, a great tackler, closes down, great at defending set pieces and weighs in with some vital goals.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

It's hard not to love Ashley Barnes

indeed, a winner who will only give 100%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here