Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Sales Pitch

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Ok please explain something for me. Two people just appeared at the door, they rattled on for about 5 mins asking If I would like to give a monthly donation to the red cross. In the end it sounded like a sales pitch.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but are these people doing this for nothing or are they paid by a registered charity to go door to door?

Now I told them that I could not afford to give anything monthly, but I would give something online but they could not offer me any place to make a donation online.

This happend to me about 6 months ago, and the last person turned his back on me and said "Don't bother then" and walked off.

I was so pissed off, in the end I phoned the charity up and had a go as I was willing to make a donation online.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
They get paid, I believe. I know for a fact that charities in my area have been recruiting fundraisers for high street/door-to-door work.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Wind me up they do. We had quite alot of red cross salesmen where I live, last summer between 7 and 9 in the evening. They always go straight into their rehersed sales pitch and you have to interrupt them to say no. I don't really like being rude to people but I had to with this lot otherwise you end up standing there for 5 minutes. In the end I stopped opening the door to them when they knocked roughly every two weeks.

I'll always put spare change in if someones collecting with a pot but these hired mercenaries get on my tits and I'd never donate to one.

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
Put a sign on the door right by the bell. "We do not buy or sell ANYTHING at this door" - I got one from Thames Valley Police about 10 years ago and it seems to work well. Some people have rung and then said "oops sorry only saw the sign as I rang the bell - response to that is simple, "well you've seen it now - goodbye"
Also put one on my mum's door, cut the TVP header off though (cos she lived in Ssssex) and it worked well for her as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here