Please help support NSC by buying from Amazon

Thread: Charity Sales Pitch

Charity Sales Pitch

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ok please explain something for me. Two people just appeared at the door, they rattled on for about 5 mins asking If I would like to give a monthly donation to the red cross. In the end it sounded like a sales pitch.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but are these people doing this for nothing or are they paid by a registered charity to go door to door?

Now I told them that I could not afford to give anything monthly, but I would give something online but they could not offer me any place to make a donation online.

This happend to me about 6 months ago, and the last person turned his back on me and said "Don't bother then" and walked off.

I was so pissed off, in the end I phoned the charity up and had a go as I was willing to make a donation online.
    www.countdown2falmer.co.uk - Falmer Construction Photos.
    www.bahafc.co.uk - Latest Brighton & Hove Albion News.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Hotdogs, extra onions clippedgull's Avatar

Donate | British Red Cross

They are probably the same as the 'chuggers'' you see in every shopping area.

Lots of charities use paid employees to raise funds, there are probably volunteers still around but I would guess they would be the older types.
    Proud Member Of Team BHAFC since 1974

Swam, cycled and ran once strings's Avatar

They get paid, I believe. I know for a fact that charities in my area have been recruiting fundraisers for high street/door-to-door work.
    Purple Goalie shorts appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by clippedgull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donate | British Red Cross

They are probably the same as the 'chuggers'' you see in every shopping area.
    There ID was not Red Cross thou, it was by the looks of it for a registered charity. Thanks for the link thou and I will make a donation.
    www.countdown2falmer.co.uk - Falmer Construction Photos.
    www.bahafc.co.uk - Latest Brighton & Hove Albion News.

HTID

Wind me up they do. We had quite alot of red cross salesmen where I live, last summer between 7 and 9 in the evening. They always go straight into their rehersed sales pitch and you have to interrupt them to say no. I don't really like being rude to people but I had to with this lot otherwise you end up standing there for 5 minutes. In the end I stopped opening the door to them when they knocked roughly every two weeks.

I'll always put spare change in if someones collecting with a pot but these hired mercenaries get on my tits and I'd never donate to one.

I just say "Not today thank-you" and shut the door in their face!
    Spotting trains wherever the Albion go !

Available with rice The Brighton Bear's Avatar

They get a commission if you sign-up to the monthly donation scheme.

Veteran of the Crimea Frank Inkerman's Avatar

Put a sign on the door right by the bell. "We do not buy or sell ANYTHING at this door" - I got one from Thames Valley Police about 10 years ago and it seems to work well. Some people have rung and then said "oops sorry only saw the sign as I rang the bell - response to that is simple, "well you've seen it now - goodbye"
    Also put one on my mum's door, cut the TVP header off though (cos she lived in Ssssex) and it worked well for her as well.