Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Thomas goes in with his head...

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Does anyone remember when loan signing Martin Thomas went in for a challenge at Withdean, with his head?

It was the 2000/01 season and he was fairly close to the South Stand touchline.

He'd been tackled, was lying on the turf, and then went in for a 50/50 with his bonce.

Nutter.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I might be misremembering things, but I could swear that on Martin Thomas' first appearance, and with pretty much his first action after coming on, he managed to leave two opposition players on the floor in one tackle!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep. :lolol:

It was f***ing hilarious. I'll never forget the look on my brother's FACE after that.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Don't even remember Martin Thomas, let alone that tackle!

:badfan:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember the tackle very well but I can't remember who it was against. Who was it?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I remember the incident, but until this thread couldn't possibly have told you who the player was :eek:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Been trawling the Argus archives, to no avail.

Also, the Albion site's match reports only go back to 2001/02.

Need to know now!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Yep remember it very well mate.. me & the guy who sits near me (Ryan's Father) have referred to it often as a memorable Withdean moment! Pretty sure it was Mansfield Town March 31st 2001

It's up there along the likes of Kuipers walking the ball into the net against Hartlepool, then running to the half way line to complain.. and then getting booked.

And Richard Carpenter's 20 yard sliding tackle against Luton in the mud.. to give him credit, he actually did get the ball first!

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
This is just a wild stab in the dark but did it also happen to be the same game that Phil Stant scored in?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I remember the incident and Martin Thomas, but little else, but I do recall that not many people seemed to notice at the time. I don't think it was even mentioned in match reports.

It was close to where that massive hole used to open up in the wet weather. On wet days Darren Freeman's older brother (I made this bit up) would come on the pitch with a large pole and try and force the water out of the two foot puddle that had developed under the pitch.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I remember the incident and Martin Thomas, but little else, but I do recall that not many people seemed to notice at the time. I don't think it was even mentioned in match reports.

It was close to where that massive hole used to open up in the wet weather. On wet days Darren Freeman's older brother (I made this bit up) would come on the pitch with a large pole and try and force the water out of the two foot puddle that had developed under the pitch.

Everyone used to call him swampy after the eco-warrior!

ryans father

Jul 19, 2005
East Sheen SW14
:lolol:
Yep remember it very well mate.. me & the guy who sits near me (Ryan's Father) have referred to it often as a memorable Withdean moment! Pretty sure it was Mansfield Town March 31st 2001

It's up there along the likes of Kuipers walking the ball into the net against Hartlepool, then running to the half way line to complain.. and then getting booked.

And Richard Carpenter's 20 yard sliding tackle against Luton in the mud.. to give him credit, he actually did get the ball first!

Hi mate Mansfield town it was. I could not believe it, a true headcase!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Courtesy of Tim Carder's excellent Albion Almanac:

"New signing Martin Thomas showed commendable enthusiasm; at one point he was lying on the ground trying to head the ball – which was also on the ground – with boots flying all around!"

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
This is just a wild stab in the dark but did it also happen to be the same game that Phil Stant scored in?

Nope - that was against Hull on March 10th

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Martin Thomas - Remember him being asked about the atmosphere at Withdean and whether it was a difficult place to play. He said that no it was easy because running down the wing next to the South Stand you were hit with a WALL of noise...

Clacking from the knitting needles?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here