Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"If the fans want Brighton to change our style of play.."

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Eastbourne
There was one bloke 3rd seat in and third row back in block D right next to E Kept shouthing the whole f***ing game every time we tried to play the passing game, I'm pretty sure he booed.

If your reading this you bald C**T :tosser:

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
There was quite a bit of booing from our fans when the ball went back to keeper. Clearly that has pissed Poyet off. It seems like a lot of our fans are unhappy with the way we play. I think the people groaning are absolute twats.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
There was one bloke 3rd seat in and third row back in block D right next to E Kept shouthing the whole f***ing game every time we tried to play the passing game, I'm pretty sure he booed.

If your reading this you bald C**T :tosser:

I'm really sad to hear this, where we are at the back of G block, there was one moron, near the back of F block,
(who we've never seen before) kept shouting abuse every time our defense kept possession, normally shouting
something idiotic like 'just hoof it'

After 45 minutes, he realised that everyone was taking the piss out of him, he shut up, infact he left after
about 80 minutes.

Now, I don't want to discourage new fans but if that's what Gus heard, than that's really sad, this prat didn't
represent what 99% of the fans in our blocks felt!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I did at one point shout at Tommy to pass the ball down the line to Calderon who was free and instead he passed it back ( aimlessly followed a hump upfield by Ankerhan)

That's EXACTLY it :thumbsup:

Elphick is absolutely GAGGING to hoof it forwards, every fibre of his being is telling him to do so. Instead he's following orders and playing it along the ground. Which is good. Up to a point. Sadly he is totally bereft of any kind of vision which means he always ends up passing back to Ankergren to hoof it upfield instead.

Same comments apply to El-Abd.

Pre-Gus era: Keeper -> Defender 1 or Defender 2 -> AIMLESS HOOF!

Gus era: Keeper -> Defender 1 -> Defender 2 -> Defender 1 -> Keeper -> AIMLESS HOOF!

It's progress of a sort I suppose. But please don't anybody be dumb enough to suggest its contributing in any way to our improved league position :shrug:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Elphick is absolutely GAGGING to hoof it forwards, every fibre of his being is telling him to do so. Instead he's following orders and playing it along the ground. Which is good. Up to a point. Sadly he is totally bereft of any kind of vision which means he always ends up passing back to Ankergren to hoof it upfield instead.

Gus era: Keeper -> Defender 1 -> Defender 2 -> Defender 1 -> Keeper -> AIMLESS HOOF!

It's progress of a sort I suppose. But please don't anybody be dumb enough to suggest its contributing in any way to our improved league position :shrug:

So what exactly has put us in first place, three points clear if it isn't the passing, keep ball mentality throughout the whole club?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So what exactly has put us in first place, three points clear if it isn't the passing, keep ball mentality throughout the whole club?

Totally agree. It's exactly the passing, keep ball mentality that has put us in first place, three points clear - apart from the link play between keeper and defenders, specifically El-Abd and Elphick. That contributes absolutely nothing other than allowing the opposition to regroup/relax and puts a few more minutes on the clock. It ends with a hoof from the keeper instead of a hoof from the defender. Where's the difference? :shrug:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
amazingly, but frankly not unbelievably, it STILL appears IMHO that there are far too many fools on this board and at the games who have no idea how lucky we are to have this man at the helm, ffs, settle down and enjoy it... Poyet is a deadset legend, and as for being quoted in the Observer saying "bollocks", he's a throwback to better days for sure.....

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Some people have short memories. We're watching some of the best football Albion have played for years and years. I'm loving the passing, the movement and the fact Gus puts so much emphasis on keeping the ball. Christ, if people aren't enjoying this Albion side, they might as well not bother going.

These are great times to be an Albion fan. Top of the league, with an intelligent, ambitious manager, a board prepared to back him in the transfer market and a new stadium about to be delivered. For a club in the third tier of English football it doesn't get much better than this. Enjoy it while it lasts.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I have to confess I did find myself shouting " get it forward " at one point during the 2nd half, It's not that I want us to play hoof ball and it's not that I dont like our style of play it's just something deep inside me starts to panic when I see Elphick & El Abd passing the ball around at the back.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I noticed progress today. At times when they had flooded the midfield and there were no easy options Tommy carried the ball forwards committing someone to break ranks and close him down and therefore given him options to play a positive pass forwards. He did this 4-5 times mostly in the first half.

We can not expect our centrebacks to become masters of distribution over night. First thing was to get them defending properly which we have done and the recent run of clean sheets shows that. Now they are starting to develop others areas of their game. They will come good we just need to be patient and keep enjoying the progress we are making. Even Arsenal, the who IMO plAy the best football in the country, have this problem at times.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Candidate for most idiotic post of the year....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Totally agree. It's exactly the passing, keep ball mentality that has put us in first place, three points clear - apart from the link play between keeper and defenders, specifically El-Abd and Elphick. That contributes absolutely nothing other than allowing the opposition to regroup/relax and puts a few more minutes on the clock. It ends with a hoof from the keeper instead of a hoof from the defender. Where's the difference? :shrug:

Ankergren's distribution is very good. Most of the time, his kicks reach a Brighton player.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I love the passing football ,but sometimes there does not seem enough movement further up the field to take the ball off the defence,then it ends in a long ball to no one.I think Gus will get this right and hope to God he stays.From the Family stand you could here groans when the ball was going along the back line.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think we need to make it vocally evident that we LOVE the new style of football he is introducing by drowning out the IDIOTS who clearly know nothing about football. If they keep it up is anyone else worried Poyet will just say "sod it, I will go somewhere else where I am appreciated!"

I for one don't want to see the vocal knuckle dragging brainless minority force a brilliant manager away from us!

Next home game we have to cheer the good patient passing game and make everyone aware that THIS IS WHAT WE WANT! :albion2:

I could not believe the morons in the North Stand who were moaning about the passing and shouting "forward" when we passed across the back 4 - have they understood nothing of why we are top of the league? Do they believe that a hoof to an ot of form striker is the answer? Worrying. Delighted Gus will hold the correct line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here