Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good old Sussex by the Sea [SNW]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely the only fitting tribute to Norm, is for the club to print the full lyrics in the program [or handed out on sheets, for those who don't buy one], then have a complete rendition, sung properly, by the WHOLE crowd [B'muff fans can opt out if they want :dunce:] before the kick off.

That would be SWEET. :thumbsup:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Are the lyrics to his version online? whack em on 'ere, innit

A quick look i found this.......

Here we have what are apparently his rewritten lyrics to “Good old Sussex by the Sea”, which went on to form the popular terrace chant that has been sung for the last few decades.

We’re the team from Brighton
Brighton by the sea
Eleven players and a crowd that will roar them to victory
So shout you fans let’s hear you roar (goal)
Clap your hands until you see us score (clap hands 3 times)
For were going up to win the cup
It’s Brighton’s now for sure.

Oh we’re the team from Brighton
Hove by jove thats us
We’re always fair we never swear
But now its sh*t or bust
Clap your hands until we score (3 claps)
For we’re going up to win the cup

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't even think it's necessarily important to sing HIS lyrics - if too many people get confused, it will end in a SHAMBLES, which isn't the best tribute. Just a really good effort at the whole thing.

I'm sure he, as any Albion fan, would feel truly honoured, if that were done in their name.

I would.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Nice idea but at Withdean this would be an epic fail

1 minutes applause or nothing is my vote

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Can I just point out that Norman Wisdom wasn't in fact an Albion fan. Like Mike Ward he was an Arsenal fan who changed alliegance. However he then swapped back to Arsenal. I read an interview with him back in the 1980s when he said that whilst he'd been an Albion director and had a 'soft spot' for the club Arsenal had always been his team. I was a bit miffed as until the rise of Des Lynam I'd always considered him to be our celebrity fan.

He then changed again and, swayed by the Keegan era, became a Newcastle fan. Until he went do'lally he was a STH at St James' Park.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No reason why it should fail, at all. If people are told to stand up and sing, then they will :thumbsup:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
A quick look i found this.......

Here we have what are apparently his rewritten lyrics to “Good old Sussex by the Sea”, which went on to form the popular terrace chant that has been sung for the last few decades.

We’re the team from Brighton
Brighton by the sea
Eleven players and a crowd that will roar them to victory
Clap your hands until you see us score (clap hands 3 times)
For were going up to win the cup

Oh we’re the team from Brighton
Hove by jove thats us
We’re always fair we never swear
But now its sh*t or bust
Clap your hands until we score (3 claps)
For we’re going up to win the cup

I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure those are most certainly not Wisdom's original words. For a start, it was never going up TO win the Cup, but going up AND WE'LL win the Cup. Those words make sense (two objectives in one) and they match the tune perfectly. "going up to-oo win the Cup" just sounds lame. And wrong.

Secondly, Wisdom would never have even hinted at swearwords, back in the mid-1960s.

Thirdly, Wisdom's lyrics were regarded by real Goldstone fans as an embarrassment, and were quickly dropped.

Anyone who was there is welcome to correct me.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure those are most certainly not Wisdom's original words. For a start, it was never going up TO win the Cup, but going up AND WE'LL win the Cup. Those words make sense (two objectives in one) and they match the tune perfectly. "going up to-oo win the Cup" just sounds lame. And wrong.

Secondly, Wisdom would never have even hinted at swearwords, back in the mid-1960s.

Thirdly, Wisdom's lyrics were regarded by real Goldstone fans as an embarrassment, and were quickly dropped.

Anyone who was there is welcome to correct me.

Pretty sure those lyrics have come from here.

I found those lyrics searching the internet last night, I think they were actually from an old post on this forum.

I too raised an eyebrow at the swearword, but couldn't find anything to suggest otherwise!

I have seen the lyrics published in the club programme before, and I'm sure they will appear again on Saturday. If anyone finds the "correct" version though, please e-mail webteam@wearebrighton.com and we'll get it updated - quite a few Norman fans have already seen the page so we'd rather it was accurate!!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
We're the team from Sussex,
Sussex by the sea
E-LE-VEN players and a crowd
Who roar them to victory
So shout you fans and make'em score,
GOAL !!
Clap your hands until they're sore,
CLAP,CLAP,CLAP
'Cos we're going up,and we'll win the Cup
For Albion by-the-shore.

We're the team from Brighton,
Hove,byjove,that's us
We're always fair,we never swear
But now it's hit or bust !!!
So shout you fans and make 'em score,
GOAL !!!
CLAP,CLAP,CLAP
'Cos we're going up and we'll win the Cup
For Albion -by-the-shore.

Lyrics by NORMAN WISDOM.

In the Albion v the team previously known as Chesterfield.

27/2/65.Albion won 5-0,att.20,864.
Scorers:Gould,Goodchild 2,Hopkins,Turner.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Sussex by the sea
Who roar them to victory
GOAL !!
CLAP,CLAP,CLAP
For Albion by-the-shore.

Hove,byjove,that's us
GOAL !!!
CLAP,CLAP,CLAP

Lyrics by NORMAN WISDOM.

Awesome - thanks!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Spot on. It's amazing how many fans still sing 'going up TO win the cup' even though it makes no sense. We really do have some of the most twattishly thick pig-ignorant illiterate fans in the whole of Europe.

I may have mentioned this before.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Play on words by the funny one?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Sussex by the sea
Who roar them to victory
GOAL !!
CLAP,CLAP,CLAP
For Albion by-the-shore.

Hove,byjove,that's us
GOAL !!!
CLAP,CLAP,CLAP

Lyrics by NORMAN WISDOM.

Please,PRETTY PLEASE,

THIS is Norman Wisdom's version of GOSBTS,as printed in the programme,and now seen on that marvelous film footage.

Let's all avoid some shoddy misrepresentations of the Great Man's work which keep cropping up across NSC.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
:bounce:

just a thought - could we get this off the ground for the last 3 home games?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Hi Guys

Sussex by the Sea

Was composed by W Ward-Higgs (who lived near Bognor, South Bersted to be precise) in 1910, and the song was adopted as a fast march by the Royal Sussex Regiment and was therefore highly significant during the 1914-1918 war.

You can look on the net for this, there are many entries, and if you cannot find the original words pm me and I will provide, There are the further words adopted By Albion and SCCC and I seem to remember the appropriate web site for the 'going up and we'll win the cup version' is 'matty boy'

Best regards

Alan

PS I e mailed Radio Sussex suggesting they may be able to mastermind a recording of the song, with Horsham Band who I think is the one we hear every match day, together with one of several male voice choirs, with the Albion reproducing the words in programme and on the two giant screen at the Amex. The effect could have proved monumental !!

Sadly I recieved no response from the BBC Radio Sussex

Al

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Hi Guys

Sussex by the Sea

Was composed by W Ward-Higgs (who lived near Bognor, South Bersted to be precise) in 1910, and the song was adopted as a fast march by the Royal Sussex Regiment and was therefore highly significant during the 1914-1918 war.

You can look on the net for this, there are many entries, and if you cannot find the original words pm me and I will provide, There are the further words adopted By Albion and SCCC and I seem to remember the appropriate web site for the 'going up and we'll win the cup version' is 'matty boy'

Best regards

Alan

PS I e mailed Radio Sussex suggesting they may be able to mastermind a recording of the song, with Horsham Band who I think is the one we hear every match day, together with one of several male voice choirs, with the Albion reproducing the words in programme and on the two giant screen at the Amex. The effect could have proved monumental !!

Sadly I recieved no response from the BBC Radio Sussex

Al

Really?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here