Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good luck. Thought 9.08 was a strange posting time and was expecting a live video of an attempt to top the 2020 AG table.

Sitting paranoiacly at home with yesterday’s 10” pace 3 mile easy run in my mind. Why do those pre race runs feel so heavy?

Still not every day can you get away with being on Hampstead Heath in your vest and pants.....

I think you'd find that a significant proportion of the upper reaches of Tory party has been doing this for years.

Looking forward to the race report.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Trimmed the SB down to 21:35 but nudged AG over the 70% to 70.04 on a surprisingly windy Prom this morning. [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] looked to be storming it again.
Up to 14 miles tomorrow as the distances sneak up week by week.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Some good running today boys. I had fun in the clay. Despite finishing 1057th from 1172 runners had a race with 3 other Arena boys that ended in my favour. Sat behind them lap 1, moved in front lap 2 and then sat back too much lap 3 and was rudely woken up by Dave the vegan going in front with a mile to go. A curse and a change of gear placed me in front of the losers to the tape.

A hard Hilly 9 mile sticky workout and no walking. Even if I made the last 10% of finishers.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have upped my mileage and frequency of running in 2020, and It appears to be paying off.
I smashed my 5 k PB yesterday.

:banana::banana:

Of course it could just be the Brexit effect.:hilton:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Morning all. Happy to report I made it to double figures this morning - and actually enjoyed it! Not quite sure what happened, but something clicked yesterday and all of a sudden I wanted to run again. I even woke up early in anticipation [emoji23]

Bonkers, but I'm clearly not alone in what I've been through the past six weeks or so. I stopped by the Scout Hut (the start of the Dark Star marathon) this morning to see the Sussex Trail Event guys and was talking to Jason and Chris (Ette, he of ridiculous runs such as Lands End to JOG) and he's stopped running completely. Doesn't interest him and he's happy just being a bystander and supporter. Apparently when he was marking out part of the course yesterday, he didn't bother running it, just walked it instead.

Anyway, not sure if any of that rambling is any use to anyone. I'm just happy to being back to 'normal'... Apart from the fact that my back went before getting into the shower so now I'm in agony [emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ran the first of the four 20 mile runs my marathon training plan has in store for me. So I decided a trip up the Wey Navigation was in order, a trip to visit the M25 it turns out. Anyway I sort of kept to my target pace of 8:26 for the first 15 miles, after which it all fell apart ...

On the plus side I successfully trialled some saltstick fast chews without my guts falling out or getting cramp. And I was generally feeling happy with my run until I saw on Strava what [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] was up to this morning :thumbsup:

(A frankly epic effort on his part)

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ran the first of the four 20 mile runs my marathon training plan has in store for me. So I decided a trip up the Wey Navigation was in order, a trip to visit the M25 it turns out. Anyway I sort of kept to my target pace of 8:26 for the first 15 miles, after which it all fell apart ...

On the plus side I successfully trialled some saltstick fast chews without my guts falling out or getting cramp. And I generally felling happy with my run until I saw on Strava what [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] was up to this morning :thumbsup:

(A frankly epic effort on his part)

Thank you very much. 20 miles in January means we are well ahead of schedule for April.

I went out with the intention of just running time rather than distance but I couldn’t resist rounding up to 20 miles after getting to 19 at pretty much bang on 2 hours 30.

Quite a hilly run up to North Woodingdean then down castle hill then up the Snake.

Fell over into a barbed wire fence around mile 7 so had to deal with blood loss too!
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] the reason I didn’t offer my hand as we passed was because it was covered in blood, albeit it was dry by then.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Amazing from [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - at what point do you start contemplating pacing yourself for 3 hours on marathon day?!

17:49 for me yesterday at Hove Promenade parkrun, a PB by 5 seconds. :ohmy: It was quite a surprise for me, I was hoping to get under 18 minutes again after the previous week, but I've not done any pace work this week at all. I've done a couple of tempo runs this week but to average 5:42 per mile is a surprise. I went through the first KM in 3:18 which was too quick, I wanted to put myself toward the front end of the group so I ran the first tenth of a mile in sub 5 per mile pace which felt pretty strong before settling into a pace. I had token 8 but was put in 9th on the official standings so I'm not sure what happened there - but a positive step forward again. I'm feeling it today though and haven't made it outside yet, I need a 90 minute run and a 30 mile bikeride to keep the training plan on the move.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Amazing from [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - at what point do you start contemplating pacing yourself for 3 hours on marathon day?!

17:49 for me yesterday at Hove Promenade parkrun, a PB by 5 seconds. :ohmy: It was quite a surprise for me, I was hoping to get under 18 minutes again after the previous week, but I've not done any pace work this week at all. I've done a couple of tempo runs this week but to average 5:42 per mile is a surprise. I went through the first KM in 3:18 which was too quick, I wanted to put myself toward the front end of the group so I ran the first tenth of a mile in sub 5 per mile pace which felt pretty strong before settling into a pace. I had token 8 but was put in 9th on the official standings so I'm not sure what happened there - but a positive step forward again. I'm feeling it today though and haven't made it outside yet, I need a 90 minute run and a 30 mile bikeride to keep the training plan on the move.

Good question. I feel confident if conditions are reasonable I can run somewhere between 3:06-3:08. Today has been a big confidence boost and if my new Hoka Carbon X’s make the difference I’m hoping for then perhaps sub 3 is a possibility.

I’d want to run a 1:25 half to realistically believe sub 3 is on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good question. I feel confident if conditions are reasonable I can run somewhere between 3:06-3:08. Today has been a big confidence boost and if my new Hoka Carbon X’s make the difference I’m hoping for then perhaps sub 3 is a possibility.

Good run today. Are the shoes from Run?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good run today. Are the shoes from Run?

Unfortunately not. They had a UK 11.5 which is half a size too small. I used the 11.5 for a jog round the block but had to order the 12’s online. Kurt said the warehouse had run out too.

Bought a pair of Hoka Rincon’s in the shop.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

I was looking at the half marathon PB's the other day and I was genuinely surprised that neither you or [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] had bested my 1:24 time yet. Surely this is the year as you are both flying!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We sometimes have a debate about the 5K times sportsmen would clock. I was watching the BBL today and they flashed up a profile of Matt Wade. 2K in 6.30 seemed not to shabby. And yes I am bored.

Remember he’s a lying, cheating Aussie. I bet you’re not bored enough to watch this from yesterday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Unfortunately not. They had a UK 11.5 which is half a size too small. I used the 11.5 for a jog round the block but had to order the 12’s online. Kurt said the warehouse had run out too.

Bought a pair of Hoka Rincon’s in the shop.

You’re right Carbon X sold out everywhere. Just ordered the rival ones that are £80 more than them.

How is the terrain at Bedgebury for next Sunday? Old trainers or Salomon speedcross?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You’re right Carbon X sold out everywhere. Just ordered the rival ones that are £80 more than them.

How is the terrain at Bedgebury for next Sunday? Old trainers or Salomon speedcross?

The vast majority of the course is pathways so road shoes fine if the weather stays as is. There are two really boggy off road sections. Probably a few hundred metres each but trail shoes preferable there. I’d say you could run with either. I’ll keep an eye on the weather before I make a decision.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Well done to everyone who was able to get out for a run or two over the weekend. Special kudos to the Gaffer for taking on the mudfest at Parliament Hill yesterday and to the Ninja for back to back parkrun PB's! Great to see some seriously impressive long runs too!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I ventured over to parkrun location 23 for me on Saturday - Hastings. A great course for a PB, just one problem on Saturday - they forgot the finishing tokens! I wasn't sure what the bloke on the finish line was shouting out but as you got to the end of the funnel they said remember your number as no tokens! They scanned your barcode so they knew you had run. It was the race directors debut, what a nightmare for them. I was expecting a 59.59 default time but to be fair they asked you to e-mail your finish number (plus estimated time) along with your parkrun number. They have managed to put some sort of results out for the 415 runners, but many many unknowns. I wanted mine as managed my 2nd quickest parkrun in 23.38 (62.91%). The results appeared Sunday morning. I ran back to Bexhill to get a coffee and a train home from a different station and then did an interval run at the gym as I wanted to build up a few miles (managed 12 miles in total) Yesterday I clocked up 16.4 miles, included in the middle of that was our running clubs 10k trail race (managed that in 53.47 which after already having run 7.5 miles quite surprised me). So another enjoyable weekend, it was actually quite nice having no football :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here