Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
My fear as a significantly overweight 58 year old is my run time, at the moment a 5k takes me 44 mins .... yes, I know, but hey I'm doing something about it! :kiss:

Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Parkrun’s mantra is that it’s a RUN not a RACE. Even that is not quite true as many people will walk some or even all of it. There are lots of people trying out parkrun for the first time at this time of the year.
Hove Prom is particularly supportive of this and often has a jog/walk pacer as well as a tail walker.

Happy to meet you at Hove Park tomorrow if you want a welcome. Should be a beautiful sunny, crisp morning for it.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Parkrun’s mantra is that it’s a RUN not a RACE. Even that is not quite true as many people will walk some or even all of it. There are lots of people trying out parkrun for the first time at this time of the year.
Hove Prom is particularly supportive of this and often has a jog/walk pacer as well as a tail walker.

Happy to meet you at Hove Park tomorrow if you want a welcome. Should be a beautiful sunny, crisp morning for it.

Thank you for the offer, that's most kind.

I'm committed to my 5-a-side team tomorrow but planning to knock this on the head and replace with Parkrun from next week. I'm doing the Couch 2 5k which is helping, although I've not really followed it to the letter as done a couple of 5k jog and walks.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just downloaded the 5k parkrunner App. It’s full of useful and useless stats which should keep any parkrun geek happy for hours!

This is the future - no more discussion about SBs, PBs and AGs or even alphabets- who is closest to completing the Pirate Challenge? Have you managed the Groundhog day challenge? Can [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] set up a table to capture all of this data?

My overall completion is 67% and I can proudly say I have completed stopwatch bingo! My bet is @GNT is leading!!!

That's brilliant! I'm 0% on the pirate challenge and have an overall completion of 42%. But then I, like BEB, don't often venture away from Hove Park! There are a few 100%s in there, but that's because I've got 271 under my belt. I like the Date Bingo one – 59% completion on that bad boy.

In other news, I'm contemplating thinking about parkrun tomorrow – motivation and enthusiasm are threatening to drag themselves up off the floor after after three weeks of wallowing :mad:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That's brilliant! I'm 0% on the pirate challenge and have an overall completion of 42%. But then I, like BEB, don't often venture away from Hove Park! There are a few 100%s in there, but that's because I've got 271 under my belt. I like the Date Bingo one – 59% completion on that bad boy.

In other news, I'm contemplating thinking about parkrun tomorrow – motivation and enthusiasm are threatening to drag themselves up off the floor after after three weeks of wallowing :mad:

Having just done a pitch inspection of the prom I can say it's going to be Pebblegate II tomorrow. North side of the prom or nothing. And seeing as you fine gents are heading for the park instead it would be rude not to change vanue and do my first Hove Park parkrun in a fair old while. See you there.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Parkrun Virgin - I have my barcode, in truth I've had that for over a year, but never turned up. What's your experience of Parkruns?

Absolutely brilliant. I've done all sorts of events and distances, but nothing beats a bit of parkrun action on a Saturday morning. Welcoming, relaxed, inclusive and – I would imagine – a big part of the reason so many people start (and continue) running.

Whatever your time, you'll have a GOOD time :D:D

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Having just done a pitch inspection of the prom I can say it's going to be Pebblegate II tomorrow. North side of the prom or nothing. And seeing as you fine gents are heading for the park instead it would be rude not to change vanue and do my first Hove Park parkrun in a fair old while. See you there.

PB still on I’ll keep my pencil and rubber ready. An SB is a cert.

I’ll be absent as saving myself for the lunchtime over 60’s Masters 5m XC at Coombe Farm. A sort of sprint Downland Devil I guess.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
It's well organised, good turnout, flat course but you'll have to like bungalows for half the course.

More to the point is you may be here for Wednesday 17th June – The Weakest Link relays– Black Rock – TBC

Would be great to have an A team of [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] We could then mix NSC teams B C and D teams to compete against each other.

Will do my best to be there on June 17th Gaffer! :O

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
If anyone is interested, at the somewhat loonier end of the running scale, the annual Montane Spine Race is reaching it's conclusion (well, for the leader anyway - those at the back have about 3 days running left)............basically the full length of the Pennines (270ish miles and 11,000m of elevation), South to North (not sure what sadist decided January would be a good time to hold the event) . At one point today the two leaders were less than a mile apart (after 80 hours running), but Jayson Cavill in second dropped out injured with around a marathon left to go, leaving John Kelly out on his own (30 miles ahead of the guy in 3rd). Conditions have been absolutely brutal, with Storm Brendon not helping much. There's a daily video update from the course..............

One of the guys at Sussex Trail Events actually finished this race last year.

https://live.thespinerace.com/

That Montane Spine Race looks absolutely bonkers dazzer. John Kelly from Barkley fame is a beast though. I think he moved to the UK last year with his family for work.

This is even more incredible... despite John Kelly finishing in a new men's record time this year he didn't beat Jasmin Paris' record which I think she set last year. She must be one very tough cookie. :ohmy:

https://twitter.com/thespinerace/status/1217544874981052417?s=21

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That Montane Spine Race looks absolutely bonkers dazzer. John Kelly from Barkley fame is a beast though. I think he moved to the UK last year with his family for work.

This is even more incredible... despite John Kelly finishing in a new men's record time this year he didn't beat Jasmin Paris' record which I think she set last year. She must be one very tough cookie. :ohmy:

https://twitter.com/thespinerace/status/1217544874981052417?s=21

She is..................think the conditions have a big impact on times though. This year was particularly horrific with storm Brendon and so much water about. Jasmin has a very uncomplicated approach (no coach, no special diet etc)

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/ultra/a25930252/who-is-jasmin-paris/

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Excellent - see you there. I am pacing 25 mins tomorrow so expect to see you well ahead of me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm thinking about East Brighton park tomorrow - that's my parkrun of choice. I shall be looking for my 9th consecutive sub-19 finish. Fingers crossed!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Won't it be a bit soggy?

Yeah, I'm wondering how badly it's been impacted. I ran it in 18:50 when it was quite damp before, but it's a long way from being a slam dunk. I might bottle it and get to Preston Park instead. I see that they've remarked the course now, there is a new permanent logo for the turnaround point and the KM markers have been redrawn without any effort at all to remove/conceal the old ones! Top work.

D

Deleted member 2719

Haha back from a run this morning, firstly I lost my Albion hat along the route and had to go back and retrieve it at the end, left in an ice-cold puddle a mile away!

But best of all, I have recently upped my frequency/mileage and can now announce I am Superior!!

Well according to Garmin anyway!

:rave::rave:

Attachments

• Superior.png
    Superior.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 35

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Haha back from a run this morning, firstly I lost my Albion hat along the route and had to go back and retrieve it at the end, left in an ice-cold puddle a mile away!

But best of all, I have recently upped my frequency/mileage and can now announce I am Superior!!

Well according to Garmin anyway!

:rave::rave:

Excellent work. It's official you're full of air. :clap2:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
22.34 for me at Hove Park (unofficial) and a catch up with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

Pace all over the place from nearly 9 mins on the icy hills at the back on the last loop to sub 6 pace at the end. Pleased with my sprint finish. Less pleased with my ability to handle frosty hills. Start was a nightmare as every bit was congested and slippy but looking back on Strava I handled that ok, pace wise,

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Did the Hove Park Parkrun today for the first time in months. Certainly is popular in January! They’ll need to stagger the starting times soon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Did the Hove Park Parkrun today for the first time in months. Certainly is popular in January! They’ll need to stagger the starting times soon.

607 finishers according to the results page. Can't see that being the same in March :lolol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
607 finishers according to the results page. Can't see that being the same in March :lolol:

719 runners at Preston Park this morning, swelled by no fewer than 3 NSC runners [MENTION=11716]penny’s Harmonica & [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

Great running conditions if a bit crowded and icy.

I ran a course PB 18:36 (13th) but couldn’t lay a glove on Ninja who is on imperious form. In fact I’m resigned to having to rely on age grading to beat him nowadays.

Age grading victory for me as a 14 year old won the race.

My only regret today isn’t I didn’t get along to a flat course I’m certain I’d have beaten my current pb of 18:25. Hopefully I can get to one in March to have a go at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here