Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I did a very very icy 18k yesterday. I've never experienced conditions quite like it. It absolutely poured with rain on Saturday and then dropped below freezing overnight into Sunday. This meant there was basically a fine sheen of ice on most of the pavements. About 1k into my run I completely missed seeing a patch of black ice and ended up on my arse, thankfully I had a bag on my back to break my fall but I've got a couple of bruises to show for it.

The last 10k was with my running group, which made things a little bit easier as we ended up being each other's ice spotters. There was an amusing point when we got near the bottom of the hill and got a bit over confident before we suddenly all found ourselves sliding along. I had to use a bin to stop me falling!

I hope there's not too many more days like that.

:ohmy: Puts running in the UK into a different perspective for sure!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good work. Doesthe ankle need a lot of TLC after each run. After 4 months off with Rheumatoid Arthritis 4 years back I was happy to run sub 38 and spent longer massaging the foot. ankle and toes afterwards.

To be honest it depends on so many elements, the cold has a big impact on pain as does "over doing it", I sometimes attend trade shows and am on my feet all day, after that I can't run for 3-5 days. My mistake was being over protective in the past four years, I should've pushed myself more, which is what I'm now doing, bit of pain but good pain (if that makes sense, there's a feeling its getting stronger again)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
To be honest it depends on so many elements, the cold has a big impact on pain as does "over doing it", I sometimes attend trade shows and am on my feet all day, after that I can't run for 3-5 days. My mistake was being over protective in the past four years, I should've pushed myself more, which is what I'm now doing, bit of pain but good pain (if that makes sense, there's a feeling its getting stronger again)

Yes, that makes sense. The sport's injury man known as Jesus by many on here told me to run on my swollen achilles sparingly whilst receiving 6 weeks of treatment (not for all achilles problems ). When in civvies I now wear shoes with plenty of support. That's helped a lot.

Sounds like you're onto it. Good luck.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yes, that makes sense. The sport's injury man known as Jesus by many on here told me to run on my swollen achilles sparingly whilst receiving 6 weeks of treatment (not for all achilles problems ). When in civvies I now wear shoes with plenty of support. That's helped a lot.

Sounds like you're onto it. Good luck.

You're right on the footwear front.

If I do exhibitions I've previously worn "normal" footwear, since switching to a more supportive trainer / dress shoe I've had less problems. I also have to be careful in the Summer, just wearing a flip flop style shoe has caused me issues so I need to mix that up also.

It's great getting old :smile:

But, as I always say, I'm lucky to still be able to run given the medical episode and, in a small part, age as some of my friends can't or don't exercise at all!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
. I also have to be careful in the Summer, just wearing a flip flop style shoe has caused me issues so I need to mix that up also

all!

I’d love to be able to wear flip flops in the summer but because I curl my toes (unwittingly to keep the flip flops on) I end up with calf and lower back problems, so it’s trainers on the beach I’m afraid.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I had a vague feeling of familiarity today, I'm marathon training, I have intervals scheduled... and it is raining!

It was a bit of a different session today - descending intervals of 1200m/1000m/800m/600m/400m with 200m rest intervals (which I walked). I normally hate intervals, but despite the rain and wind I found I quite enjoyed these - probably because they gradually get shorter!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I had a vague feeling of familiarity today, I'm marathon training, I have intervals scheduled... and it is raining!

It was a bit of a different session today - descending intervals of 1200m/1000m/800m/600m/400m with 200m rest intervals (which I walked). I normally hate intervals, but despite the rain and wind I found I quite enjoyed these - probably because they gradually get shorter!

You didn't climb back up the ladder to 1200m again? ??? :lolol:

Good, tough session. Is that in preparation for Brighton or are you tackling another?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
You didn't climb back up the ladder to 1200m again? ??? :lolol:

Good, tough session. Is that in preparation for Brighton or are you tackling another?

It is for Brighton, I'm following the Furman Institute plan for a 3:15 finish for middle-aged blokes!

The schedule is tough, I have a 17 mile run this weekend, but manageable as there are only three runs per week with two 40 minute cross-training sessions. Perfect for someone with school age kids, and who breaks down whenever they run consecutive days.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It is for Brighton, I'm following the Furman Institute plan for a 3:15 finish for middle-aged blokes!

The schedule is tough, I have a 17 mile run this weekend, but manageable as there are only three runs per week with two 40 minute cross-training sessions. Perfect for someone with school age kids, and who breaks down whenever they run consecutive days.

Sounds good - quality over quantity is definitely the way to go. I was talking to a friend yesterday who is doing London as her first marathon and is intending to do two high pace sessions every week and was amazed when I said that almost definitely wouldn't do her any good come the big day. Her friends have told her that it WILL help her, though. :mad:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

FIRST is a high wired plan but used with care could be perfect for you.
My brother used the Hanson method with FIRST adaptions and with little previous running thrashed me by 40" and easily went sub 3:30 at Brighton after collapsing at the King Alfred and then after finishing. That was 5 years ago and he hasn't been able to run since.
The main reason being lack of build up training runs followed by high intensity running.

You have years of miles logged up and seem sensible, unlike my brother, so should be no problem. Good luck, it's good to see a new plan.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm going to be in Sussex for a couple of weeks in June. I notice the Worthing 10k is on Sunday 7th, so I'm thinking about entering it. I assume there's a few people on here who have run it. Is it a good race?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm going to be in Sussex for a couple of weeks in June. I notice the Worthing 10k is on Sunday 7th, so I'm thinking about entering it. I assume there's a few people on here who have run it. Is it a good race?

It's well organised, good turnout, flat course but you'll have to like bungalows for half the course.

More to the point is you may be here for Wednesday 17th June – The Weakest Link relays– Black Rock – TBC

Would be great to have an A team of [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] We could then mix NSC teams B C and D teams to compete against each other.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's well organised, good turnout, flat course but you'll have to like bungalows for half the course.

More to the point is you may be here for Wednesday 17th June – The Weakest Link relays– Black Rock – TBC

Would be great to have an A team of [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] We could then mix NSC teams B C and D teams to compete against each other.

A flat course sounds good. I'll actually be doing a fairly flat waterfront 10k here 2 weeks later. It will be interesting to compare my times.

Unfortunately not. I'm flying back to Toronto on 16th June!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A flat course sounds good. I'll actually be doing a fairly flat waterfront 10k here 2 weeks later. It will be interesting to compare my times.

Unfortunately not. I'm flying back to Toronto on 16th June!

Yep a very flat course. Our man on the ground GNT will have more detailed info.

Shame you'll miss the Relays.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yep a very flat course. Our man on the ground GNT will have more detailed info.

Shame you'll miss the Relays.

I can't really elaborate on the Gaffer's analysis. It's pan flat, with a nice finishing stretch along the prom. It is pretty dull and often very hot indeed. In terms of dullness, there used to be a Worthing 20 mile event which was 4 x 5mile laps which sapped the will to live. (Worthing itself has the same effect without the 20 miles thrown in.)

On a brighter note, I managed 5k today in the gale force winds in 24 minutes. Quite pleased with this. My first run of 2020.

PS I'll take Badger's place in the A team then.:cheers:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can't really elaborate on the Gaffer's analysis. It's pan flat, with a nice finishing stretch along the prom. It is pretty dull and often very hot indeed. In terms of dullness, there used to be a Worthing 20 mile event which was 4 x 5mile laps which sapped the will to live. (Worthing itself has the same effect without the 20 miles thrown in.)

On a brighter note, I managed 5k today in the gale force winds in 24 minutes. Quite pleased with this. My first run of 2020.

PS I'll take Badger's place in the A team then.:cheers:

Boring Goring 20 [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If anyone is interested, at the somewhat loonier end of the running scale, the annual Montane Spine Race is reaching it's conclusion (well, for the leader anyway - those at the back have about 3 days running left)............basically the full length of the Pennines (270ish miles and 11,000m of elevation), South to North (not sure what sadist decided January would be a good time to hold the event) . At one point today the two leaders were less than a mile apart (after 80 hours running), but Jayson Cavill in second dropped out injured with around a marathon left to go, leaving John Kelly out on his own (30 miles ahead of the guy in 3rd). Conditions have been absolutely brutal, with Storm Brendon not helping much. There's a daily video update from the course..............

One of the guys at Sussex Trail Events actually finished this race last year.

https://live.thespinerace.com/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If anyone is interested, at the somewhat loonier end of the running scale, the annual Montane Spine Race is reaching it's conclusion (well, for the leader anyway - those at the back have about 3 days running left)............basically the full length of the Pennines (270ish miles and 11,000m of elevation), South to North (not sure what sadist decided January would be a good time to hold the event) . At one point today the two leaders were less than a mile apart (after 80 hours running), but Jayson Cavill in second dropped out injured with around a marathon left to go, leaving John Kelly out on his own (30 miles ahead of the guy in 3rd). Conditions have been absolutely brutal, with Storm Brendon not helping much. There's a daily video update from the course..............

One of the guys at Sussex Trail Events actually finished this race last year.

https://live.thespinerace.com/

One of Jan’s other runners was in this. He was timed out after 3 days. There is a video of him emerging from a dry tent to walk with poles in to the most brutal looking rainstorm I’ve seen in a while. Absolutely mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's pan flat, with a nice finishing stretch along the prom. It is pretty dull and often very hot indeed. :

Exactly my experience of every Worthing 10k I’ve ever run, and I’ve run a few. This year there’s more chance of me entering Meghan Markle than this race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here