Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
OK everybody. I'm officially a jogger, not a runner. I can run all day long but very, very slowly. Have only managed 4:49 for a marathon. However, I've signed up to go Full Rhino this September. I'm going to be doing this...

140 miles over 5 days. 2,000 metres above sea level. 25 to 30 degrees. Self-supported, carrying my own kit. Also taking 30 minute stints in the rhino costume.

Madness!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
OK everybody. I'm officially a jogger, not a runner. I can run all day long but very, very slowly. Have only managed 4:49 for a marathon. However, I've signed up to go Full Rhino this September. I'm going to be doing this...

140 miles over 5 days. 2,000 metres above sea level. 25 to 30 degrees. Self-supported, carrying my own kit. Also taking 30 minute stints in the rhino costume.

Madness!

Yep, madness ! Hope there is someone there to take some decent photos [emoji16][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
25.5. miles for me over three consecutive days. 4.75 of them today as a recovery run. Bumped in to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] just after the Lawns cafe and ran just over a mile together having a chat and catch up. Three days off now thanks to work before I go in to another three consecutive days on Friday / Saturday / Sunday. Should be good for getting used to running at pace on tired legs.

The machine looks in good form and showing impressive discipline.

Spookily I ran 6 miles after we split and finished with exactly the same average mile pace as your run at 9:23 mile pace. You must have put me in the zone of the machine.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Madness!

Incredible! :bowdown: Are there places along the way to top up your food and drink supply, or do you have to pack everything you intend to consume or get friends to meet you at various points to replenish your stock? Insane challenge BEFORE mentioning the Rhino! What a man.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Incredible! :bowdown: Are there places along the way to top up your food and drink supply, or do you have to pack everything you intend to consume or get friends to meet you at various points to replenish your stock? Insane challenge BEFORE mentioning the Rhino! What a man.

Just water stops, although you've still got to set off each day with a minimum of 2.5 litres on you. Other than that, I've got to carry all the dried food for the entire five days, as meals are basically made up with hot water at the end of that day. 3,000 calories a day minimum. If I can fit jelly babies in then great.

Certainly no friends along the way, as it runs through different conservancies. The only people allowed in there are normally driven for safari viewing. Only 70 people allowed on the event, as they have to be monitored by the rangers we are raising funds for. There's also a chopper and a light aircraft keeping an eye out for things that might want to eat me. Runners occasionally have to stop for things like a herd of elephants on the trail.

It's going to be... quite a trip.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just water stops, although you've still got to set off each day with a minimum of 2.5 litres on you. Other than that, I've got to carry all the dried food for the entire five days, as meals are basically made up with hot water at the end of that day. 3,000 calories a day minimum. If I can fit jelly babies in then great.

Certainly no friends along the way, as it runs through different conservancies. The only people allowed in there are normally driven for safari viewing. Only 70 people allowed on the event, as they have to be monitored by the rangers we are raising funds for. There's also a chopper and a light aircraft keeping an eye out for things that might want to eat me. Runners occasionally have to stop for things like a herd of elephants on the trail.

It's going to be... quite a trip.

Eating you is one thing but I do hope the male rhinos can tell it's only a suit... :eek:

Seriously, this is probably the most awesome challenge I've seen on NSC. Make sure to post your fund raising page and let me know if you want it made a sticky.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Eating you is one thing but I do hope the male rhinos can tell it's only a suit... :eek:

Seriously, this is probably the most awesome challenge I've seen on NSC. Make sure to post your fund raising page and let me know if you want it made a sticky.

Thanks Guinness Boy. I'll do that. I'll be opening up fundraising in time for the Brighton Marathon (which I'll be doing in the rhino costume again), which will lead a six month campaign. I'll not ask for a six month sticky. That's greedy. We can do that nearer the time of the trip to Kenya.

Humped to death by a rhino. What a way to go. I imagine that would make the national news. :ohmy:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That Martin Money Saving Lewis has quite the fitness regime. Running, Steps, Apps.
https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/...raged-24-322-steps-per-day--brning-3-800-cal/
(there's some good tips here for runners avoiding injury, setting targets, finding time and mixing running and steps.)

I think he even out [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's Bozza with his numbers/self competitive streak.

Not sure what's wrong with that link - didn't work for me - but this one did:

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/...aged-24-322-steps-per-day--burning-3-800-cal/

Those are bloody impressive numbers. Mine for 2019 are:

Average steps per day: 17,307 (6,317,055 total)
Distance: 3,394 miles (walking: 2,894, running: 500)
Exercising per day: 115 minutes (mainly walking)
Active calories burned per day: 1,320 (481,800) in total
Most steps in a day: 40,432 (NYE - 16 mile run + 3 dog walks + general ambling about)

I was going to aim for 20k per day, on average, this year but I'm well behind already due to my Achilles, although it did OK on a four mile walk earlier.

D

Deleted member 2719

5k is long distance for me. This years summer targets are the Arena track mile and 3000 metres. Hoping to run a 5:45 to 5:59 mile and win the club old man’s gold (if Paul Gasson is injured that day!)

Just missed 4 Parkruns and the Bexhill XC by taking a mere 8 days off with lurgy....

You need to take time off when you have the lurgy, my brother was running in the national cross country race years ago with the 'Lurgy' and the dr has since said that is probably what caused your heart problem.

25.5. miles for me over three consecutive days. 4.75 of them today as a recovery run. Bumped in to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] just after the Lawns cafe and ran just over a mile together having a chat and catch up. Three days off now thanks to work before I go in to another three consecutive days on Friday / Saturday / Sunday. Should be good for getting used to running at pace on tired legs.

Talking and running, I must try that one day, my main focus is breathing.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
...my brother was running in the national cross country race years ago...

Was that at the National Cross Country Championships? If anybody is running that this year (21st February in Nottingham) then I'll be there photographing it along with the fine team at Sussex Sports Photography.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You need to take time off when you have the lurgy, my brother was running in the national cross country race years ago with the 'Lurgy' and the dr has since said that is probably what caused your heart problem.

Thanks for your concern. I do not have a heart problem and I do not have a breathing problem. Having random flare ups of rheumatoid arthritis I’ve got to be pretty good at knowing when to sit back. The risk area is the liver but even that’s getting 100 days rest up until the BM.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Was that at the National Cross Country Championships? If anybody is running that this year (21st February in Nottingham) then I'll be there photographing it along with the fine team at Sussex Sports Photography.

My club struggling to get runners to enter and Brighton Half that weekend. I’d do it if it was a bit nearer.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, it would have been back in the late 70's and through the 80's.
Where will you photos be shown?

Thanks for your concern. I do not have a heart problem and I do not have a breathing problem. Having random flare ups of rheumatoid arthritis I’ve got to be pretty good at knowing when to sit back. The risk area is the liver but even that’s getting 100 days rest up until the BM.
That was my point, and he didn't have heart problems until he ran with the 'lurgy' once and he didn't know he had done any damage until 20 years later. So I was suggesting to you and others, it's not worth running through it.
He would still be running now, but it's too higher risk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here